3. Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
As always I read these wonderful reviews on here so I feel I need to send you my feedback about my QM2 transatlantic last week. Well, I had a brilliant time and loved every minute of it. Ship is in very good shape indeed. Personally I really liked the new carpets etc compared to the old ones. I felt the ship has started to develop a personality by itself compared to 8 years ago. I had a single balcony cabin (double single occupancy) with obstructed view. It was really obstructed, however I loved the space and the daylight compared to an inside cabin . A balcony is not really necessary on a TA but nice to have. Jerel was an excellent cabin steward, the cabin was spotless. I felt really at home there to relax or nap certain hours of the day. Fellow passengers were really nice and I enjoyed their company. i had a great table for dinner with really nice table mates who made me feel good. I made an effort to share tables for breakfast and lunch in the Britannia and it was always to pleasure to do so. QM2 on TA does attract a different clientele than a regular cruise ship and I heard some very interesting stories from a lot of different people. The LGBT cocktail hour in the Commodore Lounge was always very well attended and I went there every day. Considering my last Cunard voyage ws 8 years ago and having read a lot of “standards are dropping” articles for me it really hasn’t. Service and food were very good and on the same level as before. Couldn’t really find a weak spot, mind you I wasn’t looking for it either. Cabin service excellent, room service every day spot on time and dining room service very well organised. Embarkation in Southampton went really smooth. I arrived by 1130AM and was given a check in number A1 just after the Grills and Priority people. and was on board in a breeze by 1210. Cabin steward allowed me to store my bags in my room and lunch was ready. I normally never do buffets however Kings Court improved dramatically compared to before. The Carinthia Lounge is a big success even though I already saw some wear and tear on the hot seats next to the windows. Library assistants were very helpful. I loved going there every day. The weather was good, a little chilly and a little bumpy on the second and third day. (I had hoped for more stormy weather) I noticed again how incredible seaworthy QM2 is as at times you hardly noticed any movement as all. One thing which was vey badly organised was disembarkation in Brooklyn. I think this was not Cunard’s fault as it seems only half of the required immigration officers showed up. I booked a transfer to Penn Station and left the ship an hour late. In the terminal you had to collect your bags and queue up in a long line with these bags for another hour. All very inefficient and terminal staff didn’t seem to have an proper overview either. Once cleared it was a little hard to find the proper coach. I ended up with other people at the wrong one and a woman (fellow passenger) started loading our bags. Probably to help, however it was the wrong coach and it took a lot of effect to retrieve them again. Next time I would definitely take early self disembarkation as I even saw Grills guest lining up with their bags for a long time. I still find it very unfortunate QM2 doesn’t dock at Manhattan anymore which is so much easier. However I understand the logic behind the decision to move to Red Hook

Back on the QM2 after 8 years and the ship is better than ever!

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Oslo Dutch

• Sail Date: September 2016
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Balcony, obstructed view

Well, I had a brilliant time and loved every minute of it.

Library assistants were very helpful. I loved going there every day.

Oslo Dutch’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cunard Queen Mary 2 (QM2) price drops

Balcony, obstructed view
Cabin DB 8063
Cabin is very nice with a very comfortable bed. A big lifeboat no 11 obstruct the view however it was no problem on a transatlantic. Cabin is deck 8 midships and very conveniently situated to reach the public rooms
Deck 8 Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins