Carnival Paradise Cruise Review

First trip is okay.

Carnival Paradise Cruise Review by justmaketso

• Sail Date: Sep 2016
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean

This was our first cruise and we went with 6 veteran cruisers. I had read reviews about Paradise and knew it was small and old, but we live in Tampa and leaving from that port helped make the choice for us. Embarkation was quite easy and we liked our stateroom. We liked getting paper Funtimes we used the new phone app, HUB, ($5), but hope the paper info is not eliminated in favor of it (being considered, I hear). We were supposed to be able to ‘chat’ with others onboard, but the system didn’t work all of the time. We got WAY too many full page ads for the spa, art, etc. every day, and they went straight to the trash.

We had always heard that food on a cruise is the highlight and is a 24-hour ‘event.’ Surprisingly, we were happier with the buffet food than the dining room food, but I could get the same thing at the Golden Corral. Even the pizza seemed bland. A dining room experience took 2 hours each time. Our server, Herculano, was our saving grace; no one was as gracious, a harder worker or as attentive to all needs.

My husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and we were given several coupons for use on the ship and a lovely plate of tuxedo-decorated strawberries. We were surprised and very grateful for the gifts. Am sorry that I do not know the names of all of the women who served as our hostesses in Elation. Several of them remembered our names and greeted us personally when we arrived at the dining room each time.

I was concerned that, this being our first trip, we learn everything we needed to in case of an evacuation. I was disappointed with the crew member for muster (C). He was working the crowd a little too freely and found a group of travelers with whom he stayed the majority of the time. We learned everything from the ship-wide announcement system. The young man didn’t need the mic since he was speaking with such a small group, privately. Later we attended a Trivia session that he was running. Once again he was way too friendly (even hugging a couple of people) and chose his favorites quickly. His urban style was not really appreciated by us or our friends. Our debarkation was easy and our steward took care of our cabin nicely. We were grateful that we were not bombarded by vendors, photographers, etc. on board. The best part of our trip was the Carnival All-inclusive excursion for Chakanaab Beach! Snorkeling was WONDERFUL and Luis , Angel and Javier were great guides.

justmaketso's Full Rating Summary

Island Tour

Carl and Alliano were great guides. The water portion of the tour was best. The trip was rather short and then we stopped at a bar with beach access. Water was great.

View All 209 Island Tour Reviews
Chankanaab National Park Tour

The park is wonderful! Angel, Luis and (sorry, I forgot his name!) were wonderful while we were snorkeling!!!! It was amazing.l Food was passable, drinks, too, You will not be sorry with your trip here!!!

View All 256 Chankanaab National Park Tour Reviews