ZAANDAM San Diego, Hawaii, Vancouver Cabin category D Staff: Captain: Sybe de Boer Cruise Director: Michael Headla Arrived at the ship terminal at 12:15 am, even as there was lots of people, embarkation was a breeze. Went to the Lido restaurant for lunch, it was very crowdy, we had to wait for a table, that was ok, we were on vacation. ROOM: Ready by 1.30 pm. We were delighted with our mid-ship ocean view room, plenty of room, storage space and washroom space. . First day spent roaming around the ship so we could get our bearings, which we got fairly quickly except for the 4th floor, which is not a walk-through floor. Our baggage arrived around 3.00. Then, time for the emergency drill, which is quite comprehensive on HAL and lasted close to 30 minutes. One Lady in the back row almost fainted as it was very warm and we were well 'squeezed'. Diner was very casual that night, there was only one show to introduce the Zaandam singers and dancers. On our first formal evening, the Captain welcomed us in the theatre, introduced some of his senior staff and explained what they were responsible for. I also enjoyed the Captain's introduction to his Zaandam employee of the month which, this time, was a staff member from the engineering room. A nice way to show your appreciation for a job well done. One activity we really enjoyed was Michael (cruise director) 9.00-am coffee chat with either staff or entertainers on board. The guest would answer candidly any questions we had and would even stay behind to talk one on one with anyone who had further questions and did not want to ask out loud. We particularly enjoyed the senior staff availability and willingness to talk to the passengers and answer their questions. We could also see them thoughout the ship, performing their duties or simply having lunch on the Lido deck. Every crew and senior staff we spoke to, were happy to be on this ship. Every day we were at sea the captain made announcements around 1.00 pm to inform us where we were situated, how many miles we had done, how many miles left to our first port, as well as some navigational and weather related information. FOOD: Food was very important to me; not the quantity but the quality. I would usually have breakfast on the Lido deck, fruits cottage cheese would be my usual, hubby would have hot or cold as he pleased, he enjoyed the freshly made omelettes. Lunch would often be a salad, which we had either on the Lido deck or in the dining room, which then was open seating with excellent service. Try the cold strawberry soup, to dye for. We found diner to be well varied and tasty. Meat was always cooked perfectly. We enjoyed beef Wellington, rack of lamb, veal medallion, quails, chicken, fresh fish and of course lobster. High priced items were used sparingly, I would have like more mushrooms in my mushroom risotto or more strawberries on my pavlova (which was hard). Green vegetables were cooked in over salted water (IMO). Soups were always great. I am not a dessert person, so sometimes found them too sweet for my taste. We went to the Pinnacle Grill for the sommelier's wine pairing diner, it was very well done and delicious. ENTERTAINMENT: Zaandam singers and dancers (sorry the lead singer got injured, had to revert to backup singers), a comedian/violist (great), a singer/comedian (Great), ventriculist (great), singer (great), Banjo player (not my cup of tea but others enjoyed him), another comedian (also great, I like to laugh), Magician (not so great), BBQ and music on the Lido deck, (very well done). Movies were also available daily in the culinary art centre. We were fortunate to have a group of square dancing passengers who practice every sea day to the enjoyment of many other passengers. ACTIVITIES: Activities under the direction of Michael (CD). They were varied and numerous. Digital workshop, photo workshop, movie workshop and how to create your web page with Patricia (which was absolutely great, she made things very easy to understand) culinary demonstration and trivia with Laura, Games: Golf and Ping Pong challenges. Bingo, Bridge, Trivia, Karaoke, Dance classes. SPA/GYM. The Gym was well equipped which a number of popular machines, treadmills and weights. They offered fitness classes and yoga classes for a fee. Spa seminars were a sales pitch for very expensive SPA treatments, which they offered only after you signed a release form. MEDICAL: The medical staff was fairly busy on this cruise, at least 5 passengers needed to be evacuated and other passengers needed minor medical assistance. The medical staff along with support staff provided very professional and caring assistance. We thoroughly enjoyed this cruise, the sea was exceptionally calm, the staff was always smiling, courteous and willing to engage in chit-chats. We took advantage of a future cruise offering, This is adictive.

San Diego/Hawaii/Vancouver Repositioning Cruise