3. Norwegian Star
My husband and I were celebrating our Birthdays and loved this itinerary. We knew how expensive these ports in the Baltic would be, so we decided to save some money and booked an inside cabin. We had sailed on this ship before, on deck 4 without any problems. We like that the gangways are usually on this deck and make it easy to get on and off the ship at all the ports. Unfortunately, we were put in a room on a very noisy hallway. Please read my Cabin review and avoid this hallway of rooms at all cost! When I asked about the noise in our cabin, the front desk staff was dismissive and curt! We were informed that there was no alternative room and sent away. She assured us " it might get better once we leave port". They knew it would not! The front desk has to deal with these inferior, problematic rooms each sailing! Don't make your customer feel bad because they don't want to be in a noisy, vibrating box for the next 9 days!! That first night, I was so miserable I called the front desk at 1 am. I asked about the noise and vibration and told them we voiced our concerns about the room when we had arrived. I felt interrogated on the phone by the front desk women. "Who'd you speak with? name? when? we assure you there is nothing wrong with that room. Describe the noise? what do you mean the the ceiling and walls are vibrating? What do you mean the extra bed on the wall is rattling? There is only a hallway behind your room." I spoke of the conversation I had with the cabin steward telling me I'd get use to the noise. She told me I could come to the front desk for some ear plugs. I thanked her and told her I had earplugs. Worst customer service ever! Luckily we only had to be in that room one night. The wait staff on this ship are sweet and friendly. The housekeeping staff were hardworking and kept the ship very clean. We loved the Captain of the Star! He gave the best informative announcements about the ports, weather, history and safety. He even opened the bow deck area for guest to take pictures when we where leaving Stockholm. You could tell the crew liked him too. The food in the speciality restaurants was terrific. Cagney's and Teppanaki were our favorites. The breakfast buffet is good. They will make fresh eggs or omelettes and waffles. The Aqua restaurant and lunch/dinner Buffets were just ok. Some of the entrées and most of the desserts were disappointing. They make sweet crepes each evening at the buffet and there is always soft service ice cream. The only shore excursion we booked through NCL was the train to Berlin. The train took three hours to get to Berlin. There was no air on this train and it was a very hot and sweaty ride. We got to Berlin at 12:15 pm and had to return to the train station by 5:15 pm. We spent more time traveling to and from Berlin than in the city. The excursion desk told us we would be leaving Berlin at 6:15 pm but when we got on the train we got the new time having us return an hour earlier. The ship didn't leave port until 10 pm. I was not sure why they made us return an hour earlier since it was a chartered train just for the ship passengers. This was very disappointing and a very expensive train ticket! $199 per person. We used TJ travel for our shore excursions in Russia, Estonia and Sweden. Excellent guides, great bus/touring vans, safe and fun tours. We had some Early mornings and Full days of sightseeing, walking and information. We usually returned to the ship ready to put our feet up and relax. We only went to the theater once. We really enjoyed the show, Classical Graffiti. During our first at sea day, I took a Yoga class and it was excellent! My husband enjoyed the casino and Bingo. We had wonderful weather as well; With only a bit of rain. This was a great, but busy Itinerary. We loved visiting the Baltic and met some wonderful people aboard this ship, on our tours and in the various ports.

Cruise Cabin Nightmare

Loveylove’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Star price drops

Mid-Ship Inside
Cabin IE 4015
DO NOT book this room or any room in this "should not be for paid customer hallway". (4001-4015)The minute you turn into the hallway you hear a loud vibrational noise. I immediately ask our room steward if this was a normal sound. He told me "I'd get use to it!" REally? This room sits right next to the crew entrance . There is always a housekeeping cart outside your door! The hallway is noisy with the sound of running equipment. (Engine?) Our room ceiling and walls vibrated the entire time! (When we were docked and at sea. Moving or Parked!) I called the front desk to ask if I was sleeping in the engine room! I was assured that there was only a hallway behind me. Shame on you NCL for adding this hallway of rooms. We spent one miserable night in this room. I moved the bed away from the wall to try to limit the vibrating. I wore earplugs but could still hear the noise of the "engine" or ship machines. The extra berth/bunk attached to the wall, over the bed was shaking and rattling all night? I tried stuffing an extra pillow between the wall and frame. This did not help. Before we left port, I asked for a cabin change and was informed there were none available. We got a letter in our cabin the next day when we returned from our first port of call that they could offer us a new room. We moved out of this ridiculous hallway onto the main hallway of inside cabins. The silence in our room new room was palpable and I no longer felt my skin being vibrated off my bones. My husband and I laughed in relief at the noticeable difference in room 4579. No more machine noise! However, You do hear neighbors talking and snoring. This ship should have done a better job sound proofing their 4th floor cabins. I know it's the cheap rooms. You get what you pay for!
Deck 5 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins