3. Celebrity Silhouette
This was our third cruise with Celebrity. Our first two had been in the Med and so we chose the Baltic this time. Yes, we've been before.... but not for about five years. We opted for a Celebrity Suite (1110) and waited enthusiastically for the months to tick by. The electronic paperwork arrived without any problem. We printed the luggage labels and headed for Gatwick airport. Within four hours of departure, we were on board the Silhouette. Embarkation went well. No problems. We had lunch in the suites-only Luminae restaurant. Fab food. Fab service. Fab wine. If you don't like the choice, they will bring something into the restaurant from one of the others. However, special requests (e.g. I asked from Sea Bass one night) need 24 hours notice. Also, the restaurants won't prepare anything that is not on one of the menus for the cruise ----so I asked for a specific Indian dish but because Celebrity don't serve it I was refused. No problem. If you don't ask... We've been on the Silhouette before (in the same room!) and so knew to expect the best. We tried Tuscan Grill twice. Both were fine. Good food and service. Portions were generous! The burgers on the deck were yummy. Breakfasts,lunches and evening meals tended to be in Luminae. The sommelier was knowledgable and so enthusiastic. Wonderful staff. The shows? We don't do shows so I can't help you. Other entertainment: well we loved the Decameron string duo; they played a mix of classical and lighter pieces. Judah Moore ----such a talented singer/guitarist. Lots of fun and sang 'Nothing Compares 2 U' plus 'Perfect Day' for us. Flying Colours were a duo who sang middle of the road pieces from a variety of countries. Good musically and perfect stage presence. Sadly, the house band, Funky T, didn't work. DJ Carlos had everyone dancing then the band came on and everyone left! Exercise? We walked the decks a little and my wife used the gym too. All fine except the gym is crowded on sea days. Still, we chose walking tours in some ports. Laundry? Yes, we used it a lot but it is expensive. There's not really any other choice. The mix? Really so many nationalities! Americans, Canadians, Colombians, Mexicans, Australians, Germans, Belgians, Danes, Swedes, Spaniards, Finns, Russians, Kiwis, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Indians and plenty of Brits. I would guess about 40% Americans, 20% Brits. Okay, the ports and excursions. Berlin: we did the train trip 'Berlin from all sides' as a ship excursion. Rail delays meant an extra 90 minutes on the train. It poured. Really poured. However, we did enjoy the visit. Estonia: we've been twice before and so enjoyed the day on a quiet ship. Bliss. Still, if you've not been to Tallinn before, it is such an interesting place. St Petersburg Day 1: we booked the ship's tour 'Waliking Tour' and it was awful. The guide was past his sell-by date! He became confused, forgot things, repeated things and really lost the plot when the earpieces malfunctioned. Those with other tour leaders had a great time. Obviously, we complained. St Petersburg Day 2: 'Rivers and Canals of St P with Peter & Paul Fortress' was fantastic! A great tour leader, an lovely canal cruise (not the river because Putin was using it!) before heading to the very interesting fortress with church. Excellent. Helsinki: I've been on some lame rib-rides before. This one was something else. White knuckle in the front seats! Choose the 'Finnish Archipeligo Speedboat Adventure' was fabulous! However, I was pleased to get away from the front seat at the half-way stop. I would really recommend this tour. It was certainly out of my comfort zone but it was such fun. I liked the island stop: some local sausage, lovely bread and some local beer. Stockholm: 'Old Town with 'Fika' was a fascinating walking tour of the old city. Lots of photo stops, stories and information. The pastry plus coffee stop was delightful. We'd do it again! Copenhagen: we've spent many days here and so we just wandered the city by ourselves. Amsterdam: we stayed at the Sofite Grand for 3 nights post-cruise. There is so much to see in this city. We'll need to return sometime! The stay in the Netherlands allowed us to unwind a little after the cruise. The Baltic cruises always seem full-on! The Med is far more relaxing! I wonder how our UAE to India cruise will be? What went wrong? My credit card details were entered months before the cruise, were rechecked on embarkation but it still came up as 'not submitted' 2 days into the cruise. Inconvenient. The iLounge was not available for some time on the penultimate day and not at all on the final day. Not good. I complained and had no response. Why should 1 or 2 individuals take over the whole iLounge for most of an afternoon for a private lesson? How many computers do they need? Will we use Celebrity again? Yes, we've two more cruises booked with them.

Great cruise at quite a pace!

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by eileenover

• Sail Date: July 2016
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Celebrity Suite

The burgers on the deck were yummy.

The shows? We don't do shows so I can't help you.

Okay, the ports and excursions.

Will we use Celebrity again? Yes, we've two more cruises booked with them.
eileenover’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Silhouette price drops

Celebrity Suite
Cabin CS 1110
Our second time in it!
Good lounge. Fab balcony with larger lounger, standard lounger, table with chairs. It can be a bit breezy whilst moving.
Alano the butler was perfect.
Penthouse Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins