3. Coral Princess
We chose this cruise because of the land tour that we could take in conjunction with it. The land tour was very good: well run, nice facilities. We had been on a Princess cruise about 30 years ago and were disappointed. We thought we would try them again, but again disappointed. We had been cruising on a "more expensive" cruise line. (Please note my explanation at the end why more expensive is in quotes) However, we went with an open mind to try Princess again. Disappointment starts with embarkation. On the other lines, you are given a map of ship - I had to go to passenger services, and wait in line to get one. In other rooms, there is a deck layout - not here, never found one - had to ask steward where the laundry room was. To get a equivalent sized room to the standard room on the "more expensive". we booked a mini-suite. The size and storage was good. The first disappointment was the bathroom. The shower curtain continually billowed in and stuck to us. I am average size person. I tried everything I could think of to not be stuck to the shower curtain - tried open door, closed door, cool water, hot water - always having the curtain sticking to me - yuck! The biggest disappointment was dining. We chose "anytime" dining, and I guess just about every one else did because most nights the lines were just too long to wait (clear down the hall, across the Atrium) That forced us to eat at the buffet - which we NEVER normally do. We do not like buffets in the first place. However, really gross was that in the Horizon buffet the dishes and "glass ware" was PLASTIC - yuck! Imagine drinking wine out of a plastic glass. And how do they sanitize them - yuck! I only see plastic ware justified if is adjacent to a pool, which this is not. In general, the food tasted good except for desserts. They may have started OK, but seemed like the cut pieces sat out for hours and some of the cake was rock hard and inedible. What a waste. The service was passable, but certainly not good. On the "more expensive" cruise line, although the ship was almost 1/2 as large, there were 5 specialty restaurants - 4 of which had NO additional charge (like the $29 per head charge on Princess), plus a buffet, main dining room, grill, etc, So no, or minimal lines, for dining. You absolutely cannot compare the dining experiences - one is a 2 and the other a 10. Another disappointment, we had the "all inclusive" beverage card. However, no beverages were supplied to your room. You had to go to a bar to get a bottle of water - and they would only give you one at a time. On other lines, water is available lots of places including in your room fridge for no extra charge. The entertainment was good, but one had to go really early to get a seat. Again, on the much smaller "more expensive" line, the venues were about as large, so no hurrying to get a seat. We did not find this relaxing which we look for on vacation. Moreover, there was a constant selling, mandatory stop for picture taking, auctions, etc. Some people may like this, but we do not like all the hype, and it jangled our nerves. The gym seemed adequate, but there was no one to monitor, and no means to wipe down the machines! - yuck! Did not go back there As you can see that is more than 3 "yucks" - 3 strikes your're out! Please note: when comparing price, the "more expensive" cruise line, not only was it more pleasant, but the price INCLUDED air fare, a regular room is equivalent to a mini suite, beverages, free wi fi, some shore excursions, etc. So in the final total, the cost is about the same for a much better product!

Disappointed again.

Coral Princess Cruise Review by Tsunami74

• Sail Date: May 2016
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

I only see plastic ware justified if is adjacent to a pool, which this is not.

The service was passable, but certainly not good.

As you can see that is more than 3 "yucks" - 3 strikes your're out!

Tsunami74’s Full Rating Summary