3. Emerald Sky
We were booked on emerald sun. We were told that they had informed us of the change of ship by email. I did not get that email. The ships are the same however because we spent two days in Budapest prior to boarding it presented a problem because we could not easily contact the ship to see where it was. When I phoned the sun ship I realised something was wrong because they said it was in Amsterdam.two more phone calls and it was sorted. However for a time we were concerned we would not find the ship. The ship is beautiful and we were made to feel very welcome when we boarded . Very few other passengers had arrived at that time. There was no problem boarding early and a "light lunch" was served. It was a very light lunch. I would have cooked more if my family were coming to my house for lunch. There was very little variety. However since they called it a light lunch we were not unduly perturbed at that time. The cabin was very nice and we were taken to it and shown around by a member of staff which was lovely. Only complaint about the cabin was no shelf near the basin for stuff and the bed was very close to the sliding door for the bathroom which made it awkward.however the shower was lovely and there were cabinets for toiletries. There was plenty of storage in the room. So far we were happy. However part of the enjoyment of a cruise is the food and this really let them down. There was little choice, extremely small portions especially of meat and due to not enough staff on in the dining room the service was also poor. The "so called" appetisers were a joke.very little ingredients used and mostly tasteless . I took a photo of my "smoked salmon" terrine. There were two scraps of smoked salmon in it and the rest was a very tasteless creamy moussy thing which was horrible. The desserts were no better. Every night it was a mousse of a different colour as one option and a small piece of cake as another option. There was ice cream and cheese and biscuits every night also. Good if you like ice cream I suppose. However the cheese board consisted of three very thinly sliced small pieces of cheese some of which were hard round the edges and three crackers. Mostly the soup was consommé I.e. Hot flavoured water and very cheap to make. The main course menu consisted of one "meat"dish one fish dish and one vegetarian dish. The meat dish was always very light on meat. One evening my husband ordered the 'alternative' rump steak to be cooked well done. He does not like undercooked meat. It came very rare and also the steak was placed on top of cooked 'frozen' chips and the blood from the steak ran into these chips making them soggy and inedible . By the time they came to ask if everything was ok it was much too late, everyone else had finished so he had no main course that evening. One other evening I decided to try the rump steak. I like mine cooked'medium to rare'.I also asked for the chips to be on the side so no blood could run over them. My steak came completely raw inside. When I sent it back it was presented to me again in around just over a minute, obviously having been microwaved and sitting on top of the chips. I refused it and was then brought a new steak . No apologies were made. To put it succinctly the food was terrible as was the service . True there was the odd nice meal but then the portions were measly. This was not a cheap cruise and we expected decent food. The cruise director was great. Her name was Simone and she work very hard and was very efficient . However the tours organised by the ship were hit and miss. The afternoon with the Slovakian family was great for example. However we had been on a Danube cruise last year and thought those tours were on the whole much better than these were.But I guess that is a bit subjective. We met great people on the ship,and had a good time but it was marred by the penny pinching policy of the catering and I definitely would not sail on emerald again for that reason.

Very Disappointed

Emerald Sky Cruise Review by ginger 44

So far we were happy.

Mostly the soup was consommé I.e. Hot flavoured water and very cheap to make.

ginger 44’s Full Rating Summary
Get Emerald Sky price drops

The cabin was lovely. Very fresh and clean. The bathroom consisted of a square sink and nowhere near the sink even for a toothbrush. However there were two cabinets for toiletries but it meant having to open these every rime for everything . Just a small point but a little irritating. The shower was lovely and it was large. There was a sliding door to the bathroom and it was very close to the bed so a squeeze to get into.
There was a waste bin in the bathroom but none in the room. Quite annoying to squeeze into the bathroom every time to throw something away.
The rest of the cabin was lovely