Carnival Liberty Cruise Review
1,597 Reviews

Give me Carnival Liberty or give me death! (Sorry, Patrick Henry)

Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by barahona44

• Sail Date: Jan 2016
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Interior Upper/Lower

This was our second cruise and first on Carnival.We sailed out of San Juan, taking a taxi from the airport hotel just as embarkation was beginning. This part was a breeze, we were in our stateroom about 30 minutes after arrival. Disembarkation was also easy, although we were given a 9 AM departure time even though our plane wasn't leaving until 6:30 p.m. However you can stay on the boat until the last group is called, about 11a.m.

The biggest issue I had was the lack of activities for people who either didn't go on shore excursions or who returned from them early as many trips were back by 1:00 or earlier. The St. Kitts day , the only activities were trivia contests, I like 'Who Wants to be a Milionaire ' as much as the next guy but more variety would be helpful. We were on a Costa cruise (in Europe) previously and there were dance lessons, arts & crafts and movies for the afternoon times. Also, the shows could have been a little better, there wasn't one until the 3rd night and they were hit and miss.

Based on what I heard one of the singers say (from the stage), Carnival is slowly reducing /phasing out much of the live singing and dancing stage shows.

One of the Liberty's features is the comedy club. We saw two comics but because of the big snowstorm that hit much of the country, three of them were unable to fly in (apparently they bring in two different comics for 2 day rotations) one of the comedians had to cover all the shows for the last 4 days of the cruise. He was funny and he was a good juggler, which he worked into his routine but he needs to update his material (in 2016, My Space jokes aren't going to cut it!).

The layout of the ship also took some time to figure out, especially the Silver Dining Room and Decks 3-5. Essentially walk to the aft end of the ship and take the elevators up or down because you'll be blocked halfway there otherwise.

They also really want you to go the MDR for supper as food choices are limited to one buffet, a small deli sandwich place, ( which was quite good) and the pizza place if you don't. The Guy Fieri hamburger place is good but my wife is diabetic and they limit no sugar added desserts to the MDR evening meal, and even then only one choice.

Our cabin steward Adi was very polite and competent.

barahona44's Full Rating Summary

Interior Upper/Lower
Cabin 1A 1219

Adequate, we didn't spend much time there.

St. Lucia

Our favorite, the young lady guide was enthusiastic without being ridiculous about it. St. Lucia is gorgeous and we got a lot done in our time there. Went to the island's distillery for a free tasting of all their products . I bought 2 700 ml bottles of a very tasty rum and peanut liqueur at the distillery for only 8.50 each. You have to surrender it when you get back on ship for last day pickup

St. Kitts (Port Zante)

A lot of driving around, seemed a little unfocused

St. Maarten

Went to the French side to a small shopping mall and that was about it. Disappointing.

barahona44