3. Carnival Liberty
We turned Gold on this sailing, and proud of it... this would make our 4th Caribbean cruise and we found it active and enjoyable but different. We arrived Saturday, the night before, and stayed at a local hotel Coral by the Sea. The hotel was worth the amount paid, nothing more than one needed for one night. The fact that the ship does not embark until 10:00pm is strange but allowed us to board, eat drop our bags and then explore Old San Juan. We ate I the dining room, it's "your time" dining this initial evening and was a bit chaotic. We were actually walked through the entire dining room twice before for the third time they could figure out where to seat us. The Carnival Liberty, whose layout was similar to so many others we've sailed, was well kept up and clean. We found the light fixtures of which many changed colors were lovely. Our stateroom was as expected, we were pleased. There was a strange dark chemical that kept coming in to the toilet bowl and coating it which at first lead us to believe it was dirty or moldy but that was not the case. hen asked we were told it was a chemical that the water was treated with through the boat's system. Our stateroom attendants were pleasant and responsive but I believe they were new and had some trouble getting to everything/all their cabins. The room was dusty in less obvious locations, headboard, phone, TV ledge, glass shelves in the bathroom. Most I dusted myself but mentioned to the cleaning crew they should pay closed attention. Dining was terrific, everywhere; the Lido, Guy's Burgers never disappoint, food in the dining room was always fresh, hot and ample. We also took advantage of the Diamond Steak House. This is such an amazing value at $35.00 per person for such quality and service we never skip it...I look forward to the 18oz Rib Eye every year. The dining room wait staff was interesting... The head waiter was fairly attentive but seemed more concerned with overseeing the other two working the station. Nyunt primarily attended to our meal and needs throughout the dinner. He was professional but initially not very knowledgeable about the dishes, we ask a lot of questions. By the 5th night he was making confidently making suggestions and knew the menu. One could tell he had spent time studying the menu and it's components. Then there is Cristian of Romania, an absolute delight. I did not witness a harder working individual, he primarily ran the food, served bread and water. Every opportunity he had he would speak with us, entertain and captivate us. The lead hostess at both breakfast and dinner in the Silver Dining Room we found to be difficult at times and if she accommodated your request it was done so with disdain. At breakfast, always in the dining room, we were fortunate enough to have two pairs of great wait staff; Andrei & Vladimir and Mark & Laureano, they were all professional, accommodating and delightful. Entertainment was fun, fun, fun, as they are still presenting the older Vegas like shows which we enjoyed. We were fortunate enough to see one of Christopher Alan Graves last performances the talent and heart with which God has endowed this man is a treasure. There was a different vibe on this ship, not so many activities, a more relaxed attitude by the staff and the marketing generally done on the ships was absent. It is my opinion that this itinerary out of San Juan is generally sought after by the locals and not so many of we cruisers, those of us who love the cruise and everything about it. It also felt as though this cruise was used as a training ground as it seemed that most of the crew we spoke with or interacted with were on the first contract. The itinerary is active, 5 islands in 7 days, only one sea day, I guess I prefer more sea days as I love being on and part of the ship. Because there were so many port days many of the on board activities were unattended, non-existent or scheduled for late afternoon/early evening running into dinner preparation. Old San Juan is enchanting and the fort beautifully maintained and provide fabulous photo opportunities. We happened to be there during the San Sabastian festival so it was extremely lively, festive and we were able to party with 500,000 Puerto Ricans, what an experience. St Thomas is lovely, we visited 300+ year old churches and some vistas that took out breath away. Barbados was very lush and has an interesting history between the wealthy and the people of the island. St Lucia is an amazing natural beauty with it's lush rain forest, Pitons and volcanos, it is definitely worth a trip around the island. St Kits didn't offer us much, we aren't beach goers and then there is St Martin which was a lovely island with beautiful beaches. We did what everyone has to do and that is to go to the airport and allow planes to fly right over your head while sitting/laying on a beautiful strip of beach. Personally I love taking advantage of the coffee bar and don't mind purchasing a good espresso, ice blended or milk shake, however, I was very disappointed in the set up and schedule. The coffee bar would be closed while in port which on this ship was everyday. To get a coffee drink you had to go to the smaller bar on Lodi deck which was find the morning or for a simple espresso drink but they did not have a blender and so the three times I wanted an ice blended or milk shake I couldn't get it. How hard is it to have a blender at the Lido deck coffee bar station? Disembarkation was super simply, slightly contentious but worked out for the best. We had an early flight to catch and were told by many of the staff that it wouldn't be a problem to self assist and to meet in a specified area also set aside for VIP in order to get off the ship quickly. The morning of however we were stopped with our bags on our way to the designated area and told under no uncertain terms we were not allowed nor welcome and must return to other decks to be called in an house or so... this of course caused tremendous panic and anxiety. We were saved by more reasonable and helpful crew members and were allowed off the ship as soon as Customs cleared it... In summary it was a very enjoyable cruise but I woul not take this cruise out of San Juan again. It simply didn't offer us what we have grown accustom to with other Carnival ships.

Enjoyable but Not a Real Cruise Experience

Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Kdrama Cruiser

Kdrama Cruiser’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Liberty price drops

Interior
Cabin 4A 8431
Typical interior stateroom, configuration slightly different, horizontal as opposed to vertical. Once again the room could have been cleaned/dusted better
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins