Norwegian Star Cruise Review

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Joyvro

• Sail Date: Sep 2015
  • Destination: the British Isles & Western Europe
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

Never fun to be overrun by the ship staff both in corridors on ship and for shuttle seating. The trickery of "free draws" leading you believe they are giving away the jewelry item you are guessing the size of then discovering it's actually a bottle of perfume -well, draw your own conclusion there. Of high note is the staffer comment in an incredulous voice as cruisers expressed being duped was, "did you actually think Norwegian was giving away a 7500.00 ring?" Market buffet food was always cold and there seems to be no way to get cruisers to be germ considerate. We are told to hold our out our hands for a spray they call "washy washy" then we watch as passengers use their fingers and eat off platters in buffet line and cough into their hands then grab the handles. Yes, regardless of the amount of times people are told not to refill their own containers that they have mouthed it continued to happen each and every day.

On sea days ppl used the buffet tables for games and relaxation never astute enough to realize it's meal time and seating is limited. Cruisers used the window seats to raise up their feet and lounge while leaving their footwear in the corridor walkways. Gratuity was an additional 18% not the 15 listed by another cruiser. We were instructed at the final bingo/cruise giveaway that the only answer we were to provide about our satisfaction for the cruise was "excellent'. The shows on board were not worth going to and the singing often painful. Missed a night of a ridiculous "game" where men were blindfolded with a spouted water bottle between there legs and directed to squeeze their thighs to deposit the water into their partners bowl on her lap. Ug, need I say more.

A few of our stops were firsts for the cruise line and things didn't go all that smoothly. We missed a port and were offered free bingo in lieu. Food was good at Cagneys and Teppenyaki, otherwise kind of sad. There was a pay coffee shop on Deck 7 but good luck getting to enjoy your coffee there as guests not using that service take up the seats anyway. This cruise the word freestyle seems synonymous with sloppy. Rarely was anyone dressed nicely and often you saw runners and jeans in the main dining room. There was definitely not enough knowledge of the ports and the cruise line could benefit from knowing something other than saying "talk to shore excursions".

Finally, I had phoned the cruise line in advance to request a few specific vegetables be delivered at each sit down meal. It sounded so seamless on the phone in advance but the reality was something else. I would explain to hostess, then explain to waiter, then get a thimble of cucumber or told they had run out of red pepper. One fellow lectured me about how I needed to tell each hostess and waiter each time I sat down then asked what he could do for me so I had him deliver the red pepper to the room. It simply didn't go smoothly more than twice on the 12 days. One day at Sea our waitress in O'Sheehans was absolutely rude to us and even reached over to our table to grab our condiments as we were eating to give to another table. I had to let her know we still needed those.

Joyvro's Full Rating Summary