Norwegian Star Cruise Review

Worst Cruise Ever

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by coatimom

• Sail Date: Sep 2015
  • Destination: the British Isles & Western Europe

Started off finding that our fridge was plugged into the ONLY 110 outlet in our room. Our room steward tried to get something done, when he was not able he loaned us his own personal power strip from his room. From there it went totally down hill.

The 2 sit down dining rooms have the worst service. Seems as they when you know you are going to get your gratuity money you could care less about service. I am not one of those people that needs to be waited on hand and foot or catered to BUT... after being seated we waited about 15 minutes before anyone came to our table to give us a menu, they poured water only after we asked for it. They then took our order, when they brought that food that was the last time we saw them until someone came to clear that table. No refills on water, no asking how our meal was. We tried both dining rooms, with the same result. We went more than once so it was not just a one night thing. One night I had ordered pork belly and it was so over cooked that I could not even cut it. It was so hard that it was like a piece of PVC pipe. It was totally uneatable and of because they did not come back until they wanted to clear our table they did not know. She did offer to get my something else, but why everyone else had finished eating. We did try to get someone's attention but since they won't make eye contact that was pointless.

Passport turn in day was a nightmare, 1.5 hours in line. They also had all the EU passengers in line when they did not have to have their passports checked nor were they collected.

Tender day was another nightmare. They started running the tenders 15-20 minutes early, that would have been fine but people were not ready. They then started loading all the tenders with the excursion passengers. Instead of doing 4 of the 6 tenders for excursions and the other 2 for passengers that just wanted off the ship to do their own thing. They even said that they had an extra tender from town. However, we saw that pull up and it left without filling and we never saw it again. So many of us sat on the boat and did not get into town until 2.5-3 hours after they started running the tenders. Not good when the last tender was running at 4:30.

They have entertainment playing in the main area on deck 7 but the only place you can sit is in the coffee bar or the restaurant. One night my Mother was in the restaurant, we had ordered some tea and dessert. My husband and I left about 7:45 she stayed to listen to their last set when they returned at 8:15, the restaurant staff continued badger her "nicely" until she left. Once even the manager came and asked her why she was sitting in that area. It was very interesting as we moved the next night to the internet café and we say many people sitting in that area "just listening" not ordering.

The other thing that I found interesting was that their Daily program that tells you what is going on for the day really is worthless. When there was a port day it didn't tell you anything about the port, there was no map, they didn't tell you the currency of the country. I know these things but what about the people that did not?

There were many more things, but I am sure that I have taken up enough of everyone time. For those that have cruised NCL and have never had these problems, that is wonderful, I am grateful that you have had a good time.

This was our first NCL cruise, I know that sometimes a cruise line has a bad cruise and it is not represent the whole line. Many people had our same experience, and many were first time NCL cruisers, who like us will not be back. We will stick with Celebrity and RCL

coatimom's Full Rating Summary