3. Navigator of the Seas
This is my wife's 13th cruise on Royal Caribbean (my 12th). We are obviously diamond members and considering these were all taken since 2001 we are very loyal. We booked this cruise earlier in the year, but after my father was widowed over the summer we re-arranged our accommodations and invited him to come along. It was him who instilled my love of traveling. We arrived at the port at around 12:15 to find a very long line checking in. Since the ship had just returned from a transatlantic crossing I guess they needed extra time to ready the ship. We dropped my dad and son off with the bags and told them to get in line. The first ominous sign was that the garage across from the Navigator's bay was full and we were directed to part about 1 mile away, where we were to take a shuttle back to the ship. After that debacle, we got in the security line. I have never seen the security line so bad, but we waited about 20 minutes in that line. Because we are diamond, checking in was pretty easy. We went to the Windjammer to eat what was a late lunch. Of course, the place was absolutely packed with people. We purchased our soda cards on the way in, but the second ominous sign was when we tried to get a soda at the bar in front of the Windjammer. We waited, and waited and waited some more. Finally we walked away in disgust. Filling up at the Cafe Promenade was about the same - waiting while everyone else was getting waited on. We went to our staterooms which were next door but not adjoining. The staterooms were nice and clean and the mattresses and linens were in good shape. We met our stateroom attendant who was very nice and did a great job. After the exciting muster drill we were off to the Concierge Club before heading to early dinner. We got there about 5:35 (it opens at 5:30) and there were no seats. So we grabbed a drink and stood. Fortunately we were able to find seats the rest of the week. We were put at a table for 4 which is fine with us. But unfortunately we were stuck with a dud of a waiter. Dinner was at 6:15 and the show was at 8 - we didn't even have enough time for desert that first night in order to make the show. It took forever to get our food. And of course, the headwaiter never showed up that night. When he did show up the next night, we voiced our displeasure with the service the night before. While it improved a bit, we were almost always the last to eat. This considering we were on time every night while others showed up at 6:30, 6:45, etc. The headwaiter never really checked back to see if we were satisfied with the service. He did stop by on tip night of course! Of all the cruises we have been on, the service on this cruise in the dining room (and other venues) was by far the worst. Perhaps one of the most disappointing issues we had was our shower. It was draining slow the first day. On the second day, I took a short shower and it overflowed into the bathroom. Fortunately the bathroom has a high enough lip that it didn't overflow into the stateroom. On the positive side, the itinerary was good. Grand Cayman is a nice port. The weather was dicey the morning we arrived, but fortunately we were able to tender over. The weather turned out to be quite nice though windy. Ocho Rios, is well, Ocho Rios. We got out early and walked through the town, then came back to the boat for lunch before venturing out. We hired a taxi who showed us some sights and took us to Dunn River Falls. My 78 year old father, my son and I climbed it. Well, my dad got about 2/3 of the way up before stepping out onto the walkway. The really bad part was coming up. It was a lot of fun and makes me wish I would have done it before. The entertainment was very good on this ship. The comedian was excellent, the musical act (Spectrum) was a wonderful tribute to the old Motown groups and the juggler/comic the last night was a hoot. We really enjoyed those as well as the ice dancing. The 2 production shows were a mixed bag. The Broadway themed one wasn't my bag, but I think my dad enjoyed it more. The rock one was better in my opinion. We have 2 cruises booked with RCCI - the Grandeur in April and the Oasis in 2010. Honestly, if we find that our service on this cruise was indicative of where RCCI is going now, we will reconsider the Oasis and look for another line. We like the big ships, the amenities and of course like our Diamond Status. But we also demand good service.

Unlucky #13