Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review
2,315 Reviews

Navigator Of The Seas Western Med!!!

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by 3213dev

• Sail Date: May 2008
  • Destination: the Western Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: undefined

This was our 4th cruise with Royal Caribbean. First on the Voyager Class. We travelled out on Thursday night and stopped in Rivolli Ramblas, a hotel situated on the famous Ramblas in the city centre. Our experience of Barcelona wasn't great, the 'women of the night' pestering us on Las Ramblas was seriously annoying and disturbing.However, the hotel was spacious and clean. Or room was excellent with a jacuzzi bath and two TV's. Breakfast was included and consisted of a buffet in the hotel restaurant. We took a cab to Port Barcelona at about 10.30. The check-in was painless and very speedy. After, we waited in the main foyer for 15 minutes before being allowed to enter the ship. We were enjoying our first drink at 11.15. After sailing two Freedom Class vessels the Navigator failed to deliver that WOW factor but, was well equipped and had many amenities. I must also say that the Navigator doesn't look six years old at all. I'd say about two at the most. Dining! Food in the windjammer was excellent as usual. On embarkation day there was a slight British theme with food such as 'sheperds pie, and 'beef 'ot pot'. My only complaint about the windjammer was the drink station. Sometimes, drinks are there a long time and when they are taken all the ice seems to have melted leaving an extremely watery lemonade. Maybe, Royal Caribbean could allow the customer to apply their own ice to their drink. The main dining room was at a high standard. All meals were hot, delicious and flavored. Service was good but, our headwaiter Ray was exceptional. He very talkative and offered plenty of assistance. For the first time we decided to try Portofino's, I would highly recommend it to everyone! Everything was perfect, the food, the service and the decor. We booked when we first boarded and I would advise others to do the same. Entertainment! Our cruise director was Kieron Buffery. He was very comical and did his job well. I didn't think his system of the 'love and marriage' game show was as good as others but it was enjoyable. There was no quest but RCI productions (including ice shows) were fantastic. We saw Jimmy and Anna for the 3rd time but were still amazed, 'String Fever' were good but, 'Charlie Frye & Company' was out of this world. The magic and comedy were brilliant and this was the best variety act we've ever seen. Room! We had inside room 6647. It was just as we expected. We didn't often see the attendant but, when we did he was extremely friendly and did a superb job with our room. Facilities! The facilities were great. I especially enjoyed the inline skating track and wish it was incorporated into the freedom class. The golf course was showing some wear but this just added fun to the challenge. Only looked in the gym but, it seemed well looked after and had plenty of equipment. Ports! Marseilles- Rained ALL day. We took the petit train to Notre Dam Cathedral. Not much to do there. It was a Sunday so all shops were closed. Cagliari- We took a tour of historic Cagliari. To be fair it's extremely limited. Being British and surrounded by History I found very little in Cagliari. However, the sun was shining so we made the most. Palermo- Not the nicest place in the world. It seemed to be more industrial, rather than touristy. There were some good shops and plenty of nice cafes. We were conned on a horse ride. BEWARE everyone!!! If someone on one of these says 50 euros they mean per person. It cost two of us 100 euros for a twenty minute ride. Also, the horse was that filthy it started my hayfever which I suffered with all the journey. You live and learn. All in all this was a great cruise! The ports weren't great but the cruise was brilliant. My farther and I really enjoyed it and can't wait for the next one. My main concern however, is there were 1700 Brits onboard and 600 spaniards. Still when the cruise director came out and spoke he had a small woman next to him translating word for word. This was very annoying and slowed the whole entertainment process down. But, we didn't let this affect the overall experience for us and still had fun.

3213dev's Full Rating Summary