3. Royal Princess
First, let me preface my review by stating that my opinion of the ship and the cruise is soley based on my experience, and will probably differ from other cruisers who were on the same cruise as I was. Embarkation at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal (Red Hook) was terrible. Waiting in line for over an hour to get processed while priority cruisers zipped through the line in no time at all. Most of the agents were there to process the priority cruisers and the rest of us (the majority) were treated like second class citizens. Ironically, I became a priority cruiser on this cruise and look forward to my next cruise so I can get this treatment. Red Hook needs to add more agents when the large ships are in port and process the priority passengers in another area. Hopefully I will never have to cruise out of this port again. Once on board, the wait for an elevator to our room took a while. The lack of stairs in the middle of the ship is a poor design. You have to go to either the front or the aft elevator section to use the stairs. A review of our room is separate. If you book a room on deck 8 (Emerald), don't book one over the Princess Theater. Way too noisy. We don't use the MDRs on board and prefer to dine in the Horizon Court or Bistro. Service was terrible. The lack of staff in these areas makes service a disappointment. On a majority of visits, I had to go get my drinks since I was not being served by any of the staff, It was like I was invisible. With few exceptions, most didn't smile or seem happy to be there. The food was okay, but lacked the usual items you would get in a restaurant, I like rice, but could not find any. Vegetables were usually steamed, which I don't care for but will tolerate. The selections were more for foreign cruisers than American passengers. I suippose the chefs wanted to show off their ability to cook many varieties of food. The entertainment was okay, nothing spectacular. We enjoyed the RCMP band at the end of the cruise in Halifax. Most of the other entertainers were more geared for the Titanic than a Princess cruise ship. Where were all the good bands playing 60's, 70's and 80's music? The Royal is a beautiful ship. I especially enjoyed the Skywalk that extends out from the side of the ship and has glass floors so you can see the ocean below. The atrium is very beautiful as well. Due to the terrible weather during our cruise, we were unable to see the dancing fountains near the pool area. I was looking forward to seeing that. Due to the nor'easter we encountered on this cruise, we missed stopping at St. Johns, Newfoundland. Instead we spent two not so great days in Halifax. Except for our excursion to Peggy's Cove, most of our time was spent aboard ship, due to the weather and a terrorist incident in Halifax that canceled many tours and had most of the passengers requested to remain on board the ship. (Never a dull moment when cruising). I will probably sail on the Royal again some day, but in the Caribbean, not in New England.

Not so Royal cruise.

Royal Princess Cruise Review by chevytrkr

chevytrkr’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Princess price drops

Deluxe Balcony
Cabin DF E201
Our cabin was situated above the Princess Theater. Three times a day for six days we could hear the loud music from the shows in the theater. The worst was at 10:00 p.m. when we were in bed trying to sleep. Sound deadening material must have been omitted from the ship design. In addition, when we were at sea during high swells, a very loud banging noise could be heard in our cabin. The noise seemed to be coming from inside the wall or the ceiling. We called the Passenger Services Desk and an engineer was sent to our room to investigate. Neither he nor his assistant could determine where this noise was coming from. This noise ruined our sleep for three nights during the cruise. I would think Princess would have compensated us for our discomfort, but instead ignored the problem and didn't get it resolved. I suppose the next passengers in that stateroom will have to go through the same experience we did until eventually the problem will be fixed. Our room was nice, but hardly any room to maneuver for two people. The sofa bed was very uncomfortable as the cushions kept sliding off the folding box spring. The bath was small, and the water pressure was so bad it hardly reached my body during my showers. It was also difficult to regulate the water temperature. Televison had a nice variety of movies to watch, and the high definition screen made watching TV better than those old TVs. Princess should invest in signing up for Dish or Directv so a better variety of programs could be available.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Acadia National Park
    We booked this tour because we had never been to Maine and wanted to visit Acadia National Park. The drive to Cadillac Mountain was spectacular. Fall colors were just ending, but we were able to see enough color to make the tour enjoyable. At the end of the tour, we were dropped off at at restaurant in town for a very tasty lobster bake. This was definitely the highlight of the day. The only negative about the tour was it did not take us to the top of Cadillac Mountain to get a view of the harbor and the surrounding countryside.
    View All 205 Acadia National Park Reviews
  • Trolley Tour
    We decided to take this tour to see the highlights of Boston. Our trolley driver, Sue, was very informative about the history and sights of Boston. We stayed on the trolley instead of getting off at all the stops. At the last stop, we got off the trolley and walked around downtown Boston. Then we got on the trolley for the last trip to the ship.
    View All 37 Trolley Tour Reviews
  • Peggy's Cove
    Although the weather was inclement during our tour, our tour operator, Liz, made the trip very enjoyable with her stories about Halifax. Especially noteworthy were the roles Halifax played during the 9/11 disaster when flights arriving back to the U.S. were diverted to Halifax when the airspace over the U.S. was shut down. Also, Halifax was involved with the Titanic disaster by retreiving bodies at sea and burying those victims who could not be identified. Another trajedy was the airline crash off the coast of Halifax that left all passengers and crew dead. Peggy's Cove is a beautiful little fishing village with a picturesque lighthouse sitting on a stone outcropping. Even the terrible weather could not deter us from venturing out and taking photos. Liz also provided us a very humorous rendition of the mating ritual of lobsters. Who knew?
    View All 213 Peggy's Cove Reviews
  • New York (Manhattan)
    We spent three days in New York prior to our cruise. We were able to visit Times Square, the Today Show at Rockefeller Center, Grand Central Station, the Empire State Building, the 911 Memorial and museum, and many other places. I would recommend doing this instead of taking a Princess excursion in New York.
    View All 1,048 New York (Manhattan) Cruise Port Reviews