Regal Princess Cruise Review

Regal Princess Cruise Review by scifikt

• Sail Date: Jul 2014
  • Destination: the Eastern Mediterranean

Regal Princess Review – Barcelona to Venice - July 25th to August 6th

The embarkation process was simple once we all got to the port (our taxi driver made us go in two trips). Our first stop was horizon court and horizon bistro. It took me the better part of the trip to figure out that even though the horizon court and horizon bistro are connected they offer different foods and need to both be explored. This adds a bit of confusion to the dining process but helps spread people out so it feels less crowded. Even on mornings when the whole ship was leaving at the same time Horizon didn’t feel overwhelmed.

After we had some lunch we made dinner reservations at Sabatinis and the Crown Grill for later in our trip. Both restaurants made fabulous meals. I liked having the music from the Wheelhouse bar playing while we had dinner at Crown Grill.

We had an interior cabin which suited our needs perfectly. My kids had the bunk beds and I had the single twin. Thanks to other cruise critics members I took along two hanging shoe organizers. I hung the large one in the closet, which gave us a place for our shoes. The smaller one hung on the bathroom door. That let the three of us organize our bathroom stuff instead of cluttering up the three shelves or leaving things in the tiny shower. We had plenty of space to store our clothes and other items since we hung up as many of our clothes as possible. We stored our large suitcases under the beds so we kept as much floor space open as possible.

The showers let you choose a temperature by number so once you figure out your number it is easy to get the temperature just right the next day, even if your kids disagree about the perfect temperature. The ledge in the shower is great for shaving but it does make it difficult to get the shower curtain to close and not hang out of the shower. Of course if the shower curtain is partially open or hanging out of the shower the floor gets very wet. That seemed to be a daily challenge for all three of us. The biggest bathroom challenge was flushing the toilet. I often had to push multiple times. By the end of the trip I was punching the button. The toilets in the public restrooms were much easier to flush. The public toilets can be difficult to find until you get use to the signs (which often made me think there was a handicap restroom only behind the door but in reality behind the door was a set of additional doors leading the regular and handicap restrooms).

We enjoyed anytime dining in the Symphony dining room most nights. The food was generally quite good. We had one ho hum night but that was the exception. Breakfasts in horizon were very good. Horizon Bistro is more continental while Horizon Court includes omelets and waffles. Your drinks are brought to the table. We had a dining room breakfast the last day and it was also delicious. We also did room service breakfast a couple times, which was a relaxing way to start our at sea mornings. Our on ship lunches included Horizon, Tridents grill, and Prego pizza. They were all great choices. I like having salad with lunch but the salad bars are separated so it was difficult to find my toppings and put together a salad. We went to Alfredos for lunch one day. The veal ravioli was amazing. The kids enjoyed their pizza and calzone but my daughter ordered a plain cheese calzone because she wasn’t interested in the combinations they offered. We stopped at the International café for snacks a couple of times. The best treats were the virgin mixed drinks the kids and I got addicted to thanks to the unlimited drinks package (be sure to visit Rosalindo outside Princess Live).

Others have mentioned the lack of stairs to all floors at midship was a mistake and I agree. I also disliked how the elevators were called. Pushing one up button doesn’t activate all the buttons for that elevator bank. That means people click the buttons for every elevator. They get on the first one that arrives but three more elevators are going to stop there after they are gone. After a few days people grow weary of stopping on floors where nobody is waiting so they start closing the elevators doors as soon as they open without waiting to see if somebody really was waiting. This could all be fixed if pushing one up button triggered them all and as soon as one elevator arrived all the buttons turned off.

We went to all four production shows and I loved them all. The singers and dancers are very talented. The pyrotechnics were a surprise. Occasionally the lights from on stage shine into the eyes of the audience though. The sets and costumes were wonderful, especially the roller coaster. The comedian kept bragging about not having a routine but he could have used one. He had his funny moments but he had potential he didn’t explore. The illusionist/mentalist did a nice job with the mentalist show but his illusions were tired. The game shows and trivia hosted by the cruise director’s staff were a highlight of the entertainment. Simon, Tatum, Stephanie, and Armando were helpful as well as funny. The water light show was kinda neat but again the lights shine in your eyes and that can be bothersome. Luckily the light show is short so you can squeeze one in between other activities. We never really watched a movie under the stars, there was too much else to do. We did watch some of those movies in our room later though.

This cruise itinerary was perfect for us. We spent three days in London, two in Paris, and one day in Barcelona before getting on the Regal. Our first stop was Toulon. There really wasn’t much to do so my parents stayed on board to rest up for the stops coming up. The kids and I rode the cable car up to a large cat zoo. We used Rome in Limo for our stops in Pisa/Florence, Rome, and Pompeii. After those three busy days in a row a sea day was the perfect respite. The kids and I got off in Mykonos and used a Princess tour to visit Delos. Delos was wonderful but I was displeased that the tour brought us straight back to the ship so I had to pay for a Princess transfer to get into town to visit Mykonos. We again had private tours for Istanbul, Ephesus, and Athens. Our last sea day was just before Venice, our last stop. I was glad we got to do a bit of exploring in Venice and return to the ship for dinner. We disembarked the next morning. It was a smooth process and quick, even though I didn’t want to leave. The people mover isn’t too far from the ship in Venice if you want to explore on your own, which is what we did. I don’t recommend this as a method to disembark if you have much luggage though. You can arrange for a taxi just outside the ship. That was how we got to our hotel and it worked out well. If you get private tours be sure to account for traffic and get back to the ship a bit early. We were always back early, which gave us time to clean up for dinner and avoided the stress of racing back to the ship.

I never felt crowded while on board except when I was looking for a chair around the pool on the first sea day. I spent a good deal of time sitting on the chairs on the outside decks on deck seven. I got a bit of sun without the crowds. It was the perfect place to watch the ocean go by and read a bit. I even watched the lines being released once. The outrigger bar at the back of Horizon was also a nice place to sit and watch the ship leave port but it could get very windy. I highly recommend the Regal Princess as well as this Mediterranean route.

scifikt's Full Rating Summary