3. Celebrity Millennium
Let me start out by telling you that my husband I are in our mid fifties and from the midwest. We have been on 14 cruises over the last 14 years, and this cruise on the Millennium was our first with Celebrity. We had been in the Eastern Carib area twice before on other cruises, but wanted to experience Celebrity and got a good deal on a balcony cabin, a first for us. We are now spoiled for anything less. I especially loved the balcony just to let some fresh air in, and not having to run up on deck when we arrived in a port was so much more relaxing. We usually book our own air, it's cheaper, and stay at a hotel close to the port. We stayed at the Best Western Harbor & Marina Inn right by Port Everglades. The Inn had a shuttle to the port. We went over about 11:00am, and got thru the embarkation within a half hour. I loved the glass of champagne as you boarded, nice touch. We went ahead up to our cabin,though we were suppose to wait till 1:00pm and it was already cleaned, so we dropped off our carry on, met our cabin steward, and went to tour the ship and check out the lunch buffet. We tried to see where our table was in the dining room,but it was closed for a private party. We checked out where the library was, my hubby loves to read, and the aqua spa to see what was offered. There was a minibar in our cabin, and a small refrigerator. I'd fill an empty water bottle with OJ at breakfast time and keep it in the frig for our fuzzy navels and screwdrivers sipped on our balcony before dinner each evening. Lots of drawer and sufficient closet space, bathroom had a nice size shower and a hair dryer. We usually had a light breakfast brought to our cabin, I loved sitting on the balcony having my second cup of coffee. There was a specialty restaurant for an extra $25 per person, we decided to forgo this experience, and ate early seating dinner in the dining room at a table for six with great tablemates, and a wonderful waiter, Super Mario. The food was delicious, a great time to try some new things, but leave room for dessert. We usually went to the show, stopped in the casino briefly to make our donation, and finished the night at the Cova Cafe for a night cap and the wonderful sound of a string quartet that played there. The saltwater hot tubs and the aqua spa therapy pool was so relaxing, and we often ate a lighter lunch at the aqua spa cafe. There was always room to sunbathe up on the Pool Deck. We would bring two big insulated glasses with us and fill it with ice tea, too sip on while up sunbathing. The only new port of call on this cruise for us was the Dominican Republic, we took the shuttle to the re-creation of an artists colony, I think it's called Altos de Chavon. We opted to return to the ship for a quiet evening. Unfortunately when we docked in San Juan, PR, we didn't dock by the city but several miles inland. You had to take a taxi to and from the ship,$20.00 each way. If they were going to dock that far we thought the cruise line should have supplied free shuttles. St.Thomas is one of the prettiest harbors to sail into. There is lots to do. We had been here before, and had been on the Buck Island Sail & Snorkel, we decided to do this again, it was so much fun. Small sailboats, privately owned, take three couples each and sail out to Buck's Island, drop anchor, and snorkel for the next hour. Once back on board we sit on deck and enjoy beer, soda, cheese and crackers and have a wonderful sail back to the ship. If you enjoy a party cruise, take the Kon-tiki. Did that one in the past too. Our last port was the Bahamas, we did a beach trip and just soaked up the rays and did our own snorkeling. On our return to the ship as you wait in line to get back on board, Celebrity passes out icy cold washcloths to freshen up with, they also give them out when you are up on the pool deck sunbathing. We loved our time on Celebrity's Millennium, so much so we are booked on the Infinity in 2004.

Millennium - Eastern Caribbean