3. Navigator of the Seas
Our cruise began pleasantly enough in Miami. Check-in at 2:00 with our pre-registration was quick and efficient, with little waiting and courteous service. We boarded the ship and checked out our cabin. What we noticed immediately was that it was hot. I am used to it being hot outside having lived in South Florida for so long, but my wife and I have become spoiled. I adjusted the thermostat to the lowest setting while we milled about on deck. After an hour or two our cabin was only marginally cooler. Two calls to the purser's desk elicited promises, but no response. A third call to engineering finally summoned a repairman. He replaced a small part, and then pronounced it repaired. By dinner (second seating) we were sweating through our clothes. I finally had enough and went downstairs to the purser's desk myself. This brought back the maintenance person -this time with help, and a promise to have it working by the time we returned. After much rigamarole with wires and panels removed, it still was not working adequately. We finally gave up and swore to spend the least time possible in our sweatbox. It was easily 5 degrees cooler in the hallways of the ship. It is a darn shame that Royal Caribbean could not manage to cover something as basic as air conditioning. We felt as though we had booked the floating equivalent of a Days Inn. The television picture was bad when it worked at all. Our seapass info was available about half the times we tried. A call down to the purser's desk revealed they were 'having problems'. The safe in our room was broken, and would not lock. Having gone the maintenance route before we just shrugged it off. Other parts of the ship, with the exception of our cabin, were truly a wonder. The Royal Promenade was fabulous, as was the solarium. The many bars and clubs were great. My wife enjoyed the stores, and the spa. The elevators were ALWAYS crowded, but I knew to expect that. We joked that the most sealife we saw so far was sardines. The entertainment was excellent. We really enjoyed the ice dancing show, along with the Beatlemania concert. great stuff! We missed quest though. I would definitely recommend bringing a clock when you travel. We had an inside cabin, and the lack of a window was disorienting. The service in the dining room was very good, although we found the food to be only average. Although I am sure some of the selections require a great deal of skill and talent to prepare, some of the items seemed strangely out of place. The main thing I would say was missing in the menu was balance. 'Yes I'll have the pate with berry custard and crouton topping along with the baked salmon, and the pre-frozen apple pie with the cardboard crust.' The Windjammer cafe was okay, something along the lines of a Shoney's or a Sizzler, but we found the hours inconvenient. There doesn't seem to be much thought put into how events will affect peoples' dining patterns. They should, in my opinion, put more effort into discovering when people want to eat rather than shooing them away. Sure make a huge lunch buffet when everyone is on the island, and then close it down right when everyone gets back that makes sense. As native Floridians we found the $3.95 charge for fresh orange juice at breakfast frankly insulting. Chops was delightful, and worth every cent. The service was impeccable, and the food outstanding. I would easily compare them to a Morton's or Capital Grille. Our waiter Ramil, was one of the highlights of our cruise. Bravo! Labadee was restful and beautiful. Not at all what I expected from Haiti. You definitely need water shoes for the beach though. We did not see a need for any excursions. the picnic lunch was surprisingly thoughtful (see above). Ocho Rios was our favorite port. The Highlights of Ocho Rios and Dunn's River Falls I would highly recommend. Very interesting tour, and a nice shopping district. Ignore the street urchins, and you should be okay. Our waitress at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville tried to scam us for $15. I would not expect such a con from a well known chain, but it was probably just the employee. The Stingray City Tour by Resort Sport Limited was a disorganized mess. We were transported to the boat in grimy unsafe school buses, and then waited in a dirty parking lot while we waited for the boat which was late. When we were finished we rode the ramshackle buses back to another dirty parking lot where we were unceremoniously dumped with scant minutes to spare for the last tender. We had no time for shopping or seeing the sights at all. Cozumel was another nice port. The street vendors here were as aggressive as I've seen though. Our shopping tour was great with an excellent guide. Our bus had something to be desired though. There was an exhaust leak somewhere on the back of the bus which made several people queasy. After 2 or 3 stops we got the driver to find a rag and stuff it in a hole in the floor, this seemed to wipe out most of the fumes. We had a good, but somewhat overpriced, lunch at Pancho's backyard. We still had plenty of time to walk around and explore the shops.

Navigator of the Seas - Western Caribbean