Canada & Colonial America: Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale: Crown Princess Cruise Review by CdMAgFox

Crown Princess 5
Member Since 2005
1,235 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Canada & Colonial America: Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: Other
Canada & Colonial America Cruise 2011 October 14 -â€" 26 Greetings from the Crown Princess: Friday, October 14th We are now comfortably ensconced in our beautiful category AB Mini-Suite D317 on the Dolphin Deck 9, a substantial 3-category upgrade from the category AE mini-suite guarantee for which we paid. It is almost amidships, which is highly desirable in case of rough seas, which is a definite possibility during the next 12 days to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Our two days here in Quebec City have been very interesting and the intermittent rain drizzles have only mildly interfered with our activities. Today's "major rain" failed to materialize -â€" thankfully -â€" and dragging our suitcases the one block from our Hotel Le Germain-Dominion could not have been more convenient and rain-free. An excellent choice for an elegant "boutique" hotel and an outstanding location so near the cruise terminal; we could actually see parts of the Crown Princess from hotel windows. More Our ship remains in port tonight, leaving tomorrow afternoon at 5 PM. Hopefully our Sail Away will be rain-free also. Today we again lunched at a very small but very good Bistro du Cap, near the hotel; yesterday we had crepes -â€" ham & cheese -â€" and a glass of pinot grigio for me, of course. Today we both had an open-face ham and cheese (and toasted) sandwich, with salad and DELICIOUS soup, with another glass of pinot grigio for me. Not cheap, but NOTHING in Quebec City is: a very expensive city. Tonight we will probably have dinner in the Botticelli Restaurant aboard ship, and POSSIBLY go back off-ship, but POSSIBLY not. Depends on whether or not it is raining. Tomorrow we have an all-day tour, a repetition of the same tour taken 5 years ago on our last visit to Quebec City: Montmorency Falls, Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré Basilica and a wonderful French lunch on the Isle of Orleans in middle of the St. Lawrence River. Anyone not having yet visited Quebec City is missing a most unique experience: the MOST European city in North America. <<< Sydney, Nova Scotia: Monday Morning, October 17th >>> It is still quite early here as we approach the dock at Sydney, Nova Scotia, for today's visit. Our scheduled tour begins at 7:30 AM so it will be a full day. Included are the Bras D'Or Lakes, the small town of Baddeck with a visit to the Alexander Graham Bell Museum, and the Scottish Highland Village. Hopefully the weather will be such that we can enjoy these sites without rain. Yesterday was our first (of three) days at sea and the ride was very smooth -â€" to start with -â€" as we cruised down the St. Lawrence River, but became a little bumpy as we traversed the Gulf of St. Lawrence. So far today, it has been quite pleasant as we now cruise up the Sydney River towards our dock. The three days spent in Quebec City were just wonderful! As commented before, the Htel Le Germain-Dominion was an excellent choice -â€" both in its elegance and in its location, so very near the Cruise Terminal. On Friday it was a simple matter to drag our luggage over to the Terminal under clear skies; we were all checked in shortly after noontime, then returning ashore to continue our touring of this magnificent city. Quebec City is indisputably the MOST European city in North America. We again enjoyed lunch at the Bistro du Cap, the charming little place near our hotel. Our ship's tour on Saturday was a repeat from our last visit here in 2005 and included the Montmorency Falls -â€" higher than those of Niagara, the Basilica of St. Anne and a wonderful drive around the Isle d'Orleans (in the middle of the St. Lawrence River) where we enjoyed an excellent lunch. Returning to the City we visited the Chateau Frontenac, the Parliament Building, the Plains of Abraham -â€" historic war battle site, and then a repeat of the ancient Old City below the funicular and the "upper city." Of course, we had independently roamed around many of these cobble-stoned streets on our own. So I will attempt to make up -â€" and keep up -â€" with our very port-intensive cruise as we proceed around New England and on down to Florida. It is almost time to get ready for the day's tour. <<< Our Day in Cape Breton: Monday, October 17th >>> It has begun to rain again but we are now back aboard the Crown Princess, safe and dry, having returned from our tour about an hour ago. Although VERY cool and crisp today, it was dry for our visit to the Highland Village and the lengthy walk down the hill amongst historic structures -â€" homes, schools, churches, stores, blacksmith shops, etc. - housing artifacts and antiques, staffed by local citizens appropriately dressed in period costume. This has been the second or third time I have visited this beautiful and interesting "living museum," overlooking the expanse of the Bras d'Or Lakes. We then traveled along the shores of the Bras d'Or Lakes, at one point crossing one of its arms on a cable-drawn auto ferry, until we reached the small village of Baddeck, home of Alexander Graham Bell and a museum in his honor -â€" which we did NOT visit on this particular tour. Our lunch was in a large convention hall at the Inverary Inn Resort where we had lunched also on our previous visit in 2005. The food was plentiful and delicious -â€" especially the seafood chowder and peanut butter cookies for dessert. One entrée was salmon in a tasty sauce, the other being roast chicken pieces, but the real "star" was the chowder on such a cold and windy day. After a brief stop in the village of Baddeck with time given to walk around the shops -â€" many already "Closed for the Season," it was time to return to the warmth of our bus and begin our return trip to Sydney and our ship. Leaving Baddeck we drove along the "old road" right at the water's edge, passing the Alexander Graham Bell Museum, and viewing some of the sailboats common on these lakes; the air blowing off the lake waters, although dry, was FRIGID! A light drizzle had begun to fall. Arrival back at the cruise terminal and our ship was right on schedule at 2:30 PM with our ship's departure scheduled for 4 PM. Evidently there are a few late-arrival tour buses because it is now after 4 PM and we are still at dock. With the rain and strong winds I fully expect a bit of a "bumpy" ride tonight on our way to Halifax for tomorrow's visit there. Last night was the first (of two) formal nights and was the occasion for the Captain's Welcome Party in the Atrium with Princess' traditional Champagne Waterfall and complimentary champagne for all. Surprisingly there was a majority of gentlemen either in tuxedos or dark business suits, along with ladies in their finest and fanciest dresses. Our Captain is Andy Proctor, from Scotland, who has been Captain of this Crown Princess since its introduction into the fleet a few years ago. So evidently, he was our captain last August when we were aboard the Crown Princess on the British Isles cruise; I did not remember his name from then, however. Well, we still haven't yet left the dock; the Captain just came on the PA to explain the delay and to warn us of the strong winds and high seas expected as we make our way around Cape Breton and on down to Halifax. Goody! I guess this is one advantage of the huge ships: better stability. And the location of our mini-suite amidships on Dolphin Deck 9 should be to our advantage also. So that is it for today; tomorrow's tour out of Halifax is again back up north to the Annapolis Valley and wine tasting at vineyards there. Many of their wines are surprisingly good. <<< Halifax, Nova Scotia: Tuesday, October 18th >>> We are again underway having departed Halifax just a few minutes ago, a few minutes after 4 PM local time (one hour earlier than EDT). Even with our extended weather-related delay last evening leaving Sydney -â€" over two hours -â€" our arrival this morning and today's schedule was almost back to normal; the captain really stoked the boilers last night and we were CRUISING! Today's tour was to the Annapolis Valley, about an hour north of Halifax, where we visited two fine wineries: Grand Pre Winery and Gasperau Vineyards, both offering excellent wines. The first, Grand Pre Winery, we had been to in 2005 on an NCL cruise; now there are 15 wineries in this area near the Bay of Fundy which the French Acadians settled in the 17th century and reclaimed land using an ingenious system of dikes before being expelled by the British when they refused to pledge allegiance to the Crown. You might recall the poem Evangeline by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, based on this inhumane tragedy. The Acadians were then scattered up and down the 13 colonies - sometimes with families split apart, many winding up in Louisiana where they became known as "Cajuns" - a mispronunciation of "Acadians." A very informative lady, a family member of the Swiss Stutz owners, gave excellent descriptions of the 6 different wines featured: 3 white and 3 red. They were all very, very good and I purchased two bottles despite their rather expensive price. We then drove through the charming village of Wolfville, home of the University of Acadia, to the second winery in the Gasperau Valley. Here our wine tasting -â€" again by an informative young lady -â€" was conducted as we strolled among the vineyards where grapes were waiting to be harvested -â€" some today! This was a most unique type of wine tasting and the day's weather cooperated with clear skies and only cool temperatures. Again, we were presented with 6 excellent wines -â€" some from the same cold weather grapes as the first winery, but this time alternated with chunks of delicious local cheeses. An "Ice Wine" was also presented and explained and which turned out to be a delicious, albeit very sweet "after dinner wine." Again I purchased 2 more bottles of their wines, one a dry red similar to a pinot noir. The remainder of our cruise will certainly not be void of good wines to drink! Our tour also included lunch at a local restaurant, the Tempest, in Wolfville, which featured an outstanding lobster roll, delicious potato salad, a small salad, and a sinfully good dessert, an apple tart laced with maple sauce and a dollop of vanilla ice cream. Yum, yum! The accompanying large glass of chardonnay was extra at a price of about $10 Canadian. The last stop was at a lookout point in Wolfville from which effects of the low tide could be observed; the Bay of Fundy has one of the largest tidal actions in the world, the difference being 50 to 70 feet between high and low tide. At low tide there are vast areas that exhibit the red clay bottom of waterways that are absolutely full at high tide. Most interesting. Before departing Wolfville for our return to Halifax there was a brief stop at a local produce market for a taste of their apple cider and an opportunity to purchase some of their magnificent apples. On my first visit to the area in 1998 on another NCL cruise, we had stopped at this exact market and I have never forgotten the large yellow apple (with red stripes) I bought at that time and relished during the hour-long bus ride back to Halifax. I repeated my purchase during this visit and again enjoyed a wonderful apple on the bus. This very fertile area of the Grand Pre is famous for the wonderful apples grown here; orchards can be seen in almost every direction. Thanks to the Acadians for their reclamation and development of this excellent farming region from the flooding of the Bay of Fundy tidal action. Tragically the British unceremoniously deported them from their home of 200 years. We are now in transit towards our port-of-call tomorrow: Bar Harbor, Maine. Our wonderful Canadian visit has now concluded. <<< "Baah -â€" Haahba" Maine: Wednesday, October 19th >>> Despite the rain anointing our departure at 6 PM, our day in Bar Harbor, on the Mount Dessert Island (really "Desert" other than "Dessert"), could NOT have been more enjoyable! Our tour for the day started at 9:30 AM, delayed by an onboard US Customs check of passports, with ALL 3100 Passengers lined up in an unending line, winding around and around, deck upon deck, UNBELIEVABLY chaotic! We were supposed to arrive at staggering times -â€" ours was between 7:55 -â€" 8:10 AM -â€" but, of course, the predominant cruise ship mentality dictates EVERYONE arriving early; some IDIOTS just can't read, or refuse to follow directions! Ours was the last tour group to leave the ship -â€" by tender -â€" and our tour schedule was not TOO adversely affected. The first stop was to the top of Cadillac Mountain, which presented quite cool and breezy conditions -â€" perfect for those of us with earmuffs and scarves. At least it was NOT raining. The views of Bar Harbor and our ship at anchor were very impressive. Next was lunch -â€" a lobster lunch at a restaurant in Hull's Cove which turned out to be UNBELIEVABLY excellent! There were only two buses of us in a large dining room, first served "appetizers" of mussels from Prince Edward Island that were WONDERFULLY delicious! I must have gone through 2 or 3 dozens of those little critters, soaked in butter, of course! I was afraid that I might be too full for the lobster to come. Then came the lobster! We were directed into the cooking area where HUGE steaming pots held whole lobsters -â€" around 1.5 pounders -â€" along with corn-on-the-cob, drenched in butter, small red potatoes, and MORE mussels -â€" served with excellent Cole slaw: WHAT A FEAST! Eating a whole lobster is indeed a challenge but instructions were given for performing the steps -â€" in order -â€" to get the maximum amount of succulent lobster meat from the claws, tail, etc. - drenched in melted butter of course. Words cannot describe the gastronomical pleasure resulting from this experience! Accompanied by a large glass of pinot grigio wine for me, of course. Completing this "lunch" was a delicious blueberry cake topped with a dollop of whipped cream and coffee. WHAT A LUNCH!!! Our bus then proceeded on the Loop Road, around and inside the Acadia National Park, first to a site at whose arrival we were greeted with a down pour of rain, and it was decided to go to the next site of interest, which was a spectacular view of the rugged Maine coast line and the "Moaning Hole," which unfortunately was not "moaning." The beauty was never the less there for our enjoyment. The next stop was at the Jordan Pond and an elegant restaurant and shop complex on the shore of an exquisite inland fresh-water lake. The rain had stopped and our visit there was most enjoyable. Throughout our drive around the Loop Road the changing colors were absolutely SPECTACULAR!!! Some said the changing of colors was delayed a week, and others said that the peak of the colors was last week. All I can say is that they were splendid! I could NOT have asked for more: reds, golds, oranges, yellows, pale greens, ... SPECTACULAR! It is most difficult to predict the very best time to observe the changing of colors -â€" and where -â€" but we seemed to have lucked out. The summer here has been quite warm and the changing of colors requires a much cooler weather that has only recently occurred. Returning to the village of Bar Harbor, we still had a couple of hours before our last tender back to the ship at 5:30 PM so I took the opportunity to visit a local pub where I enjoyed a couple of pints of a local beer, "Moose Breath" - brewed locally in Bar Harbor. It was really a great local bar! Then it was back to the ship for me aboard one of the ship's tenders around 4 PM. What a day! A wonderful visit to our first US port-of-call since beginning our cruise last Friday in Quebec City -â€" DESPITE the delay and chaos of the required Customs Check this morning. Tomorrow we are at dock at the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal in Boston and our ONLY activity of the day is to meet and lunch with Gloria, my former neighbor now living in Cape Cod; we are meeting not far from the ship at the Legal Seafoods Harborside, about a 10-minute walk. So, rain or shine, we WILL be there and enjoy good food and good friendship with our dear friend Gloria. That's it for today; we are currently underway under rainy weather conditions; hopefully the rain will have passed by our arrival in Boston tomorrow morning at 7 AM. <<< Beautiful Day in Boston, but Rough Night at Sea: October 20th >>> With no organized tours scheduled yesterday in Boston -â€" my having been there on two previous occasions, the highlight of the day was our lunch with Gloria, my former next-door neighbor who now lives on Cape Cod. Earlier I had aspirations of meeting for lunch at the historic Union Oyster House near Faneuil Hall, but that was not to be since the first reservation I could get was 2 PM -â€" much too late for the ship's 4 PM departure -â€" later changed to 5 PM. Gloria suggested the Legal Seafoods Harborside restaurant which was only a 10-minute walk from the Black Falcon Cruise Ship Terminal, and it turned out to be an excellent choice. Jim left the ship early, around 8 AM, and succeeded in walking the entire Freedom Trail before meeting Gloria and me at the restaurant at 12:30 PM. I was quite lazy and didn't leave for the restaurant until after 11:30 AM; strangely fog heavily blanketed the area and the light mist in the air caused me to prepare for a cool, wet trip, BUT upon exiting the Cruise Terminal, the fog lifted, the sun came out, and it became quite warm for me in my sweatshirt and leather jacket. The day became clear and warm which contributed to the enjoyment of again seeing Gloria and sharing a fantastic seafood lunch. My choice was a mug of New England Clam Chowder followed by a Lobster Roll, filled with large chunks of succulent lobster. It was an exquisite lunch for me! Accompanied, of course, with a glass of cold pinot grigio wine. It was with reluctance that we had to bid Gloria goodbye around 2:30 PM; her hour-and-a-half drive back to the Cape would be complicated by the afternoon rush hour. But it was a great reunion and we look forward to the next. Leaving the restaurant and heading back to the ship, we began to encounter wind -â€" very strong wind, and by the time we were back on board, the wind had reached a high rate, making our sail-away quite chilly from upper decks of the Crown Princess. Following the RCL Explorer of the Seas, and an MSC ship, our departure featured the impressive skyline of Boston, silhouetted by a spectacular, colorful sunset. BUT, it was windy! The wind persisted through the night as our ship put out to sea to go out around Cape Cod and Nantucket Island before turning back southwest towards today's port-of-call, Newport, Rhode Island. At times during the night the wind-driven swells increased to 15 feet, we learned from the Captain this morning, and our ride was QUITE bumpy, to say the least! Many times waves would hit this huge ship, jolting us almost out of bed. Sleep was difficult and little was achieved. Only as we approached our anchorage this morning did the winds subside. Right now it seems breezy and cool, but certainly tolerable. Tonight is predicted to be much calmer, thankfully! Tomorrow we are at dock in New York City. This afternoon's tour is to some of the spectacular mansions built here in the last century by the millionaires of the times, which are now open to the public as museums; it should be interesting. Since we are tendering to shore, I have waited until now -â€" around 11:30 AM -â€" to make my departure, hoping that most of the "herd" have already pushed and shoved their way onto the tenders and are now ashore. Cruising seems to bring out the worst of many people in their rude, inconsiderate behavior; I can't really believe they behave like this at home! I would hope not, but this seems to be the norm these days. So I will later report on our outing among the sites of the "rich and famous" - Newport, Rhode Island. <<< Captain's Circle Party: Thursday, October 20th >>> Princess Cruises' frequent cruiser/ loyalty program is called the Captain's Circle with membership levels: Blue, Gold, Platinum and Elite, based on a member's number of cruises and days at sea. Both Jim and I are at the Elite level with 21 cruises and 284 days for me; Jim has one less 7-day cruise. Twice now we have been honored among the "40 Most-Traveled" aboard a cruise with a special Captain's Lunch or Party, but not this time. With so many Captain's Circle members on this cruise, we didn't make the "cut." In fact it was necessary to hold four separate Captain's Circle Parties to accommodate all those members aboard. Our Captain's Circle Party was at 7:15 PM until 8 PM on October 20th, the evening after leaving Boston. At each Party, those with the highest numbers of cruises and sea days are individually honored -â€" usually with a bottle of champagne, and then there is a drawing among the rest of us to receive bottles of champagne. The last name drawn at our Party was Jim's! The first time either of us has ever "won" a bottle of champagne! It was shared with those at our dining table on the last formal night, October 23rd. <<< Newport, Rhode Island: Friday, October 21st >>> Right now at almost 5 PM EDT we are preparing to depart Pier 90 on the Hudson River in New York City, our sail-away scheduled for 5 PM. Tomorrow will be a much-anticipated and welcome day at sea after our whirl-wind series of ports-of-call this past week. Day after tomorrow will be our final port-of-call in Charleston, South Carolina; then another day at sea before reaching our terminus, Fort Lauderdale, Florida. After the extremely rough night of high swells and high winds during the night, our arrival yesterday morning in Newport, Rhode Island, was relatively calm and the lateness of our shore excursion (12:45 PM) gave an opportunity to recover some of the lost sleep from the night before. Newport is a lovely small but historic village, once playground for the very rich and famous, who built extravagant "cottages" - huge, elaborate and magnificent mansions. It was a tour of two of these millionaire mansions that we enjoyed yesterday afternoon. The first mansion to be visited was The Breakers, built by Cornelius Vanderbilt in the late 1800s, and probably the most spectacular of all the mansions in Newport. The allocated hour and a half fled by quickly as we were permitted to enter and view almost every one of the rooms, both first and second floors. Besides the beauty and extravagance of the building itself and the splendid interiors, the collection of vintage furnishings -â€" furniture, draperies, dishes, etc. - was well worthy of the finest museum. And the spacious, meticulously landscaped lawns and gardens were truly awesome. The name "Breakers" was totally appropriate after viewing the spectacular surf crashing just beyond the yard's edge. Words fail to describe the opulence and extreme elegance of this "cottage." The second mansion was Marble House, another Vanderbilt family "cottage." Its name results from being constructed of imported marble -â€" outside and inside. The exterior marble and columns are all white but two of the interior rooms were a pale gold marble, and another in a pink marble. The cost was undoubtedly astronomical. Of course, in both mansions there are gigantic parlors with a "Gone With the Winds" staircase winding up to the second floor mezzanine. It was hard NOT to imagine these as movie sets and not real homes. One room in the Marble House, called the "Gold Room," had walls and ceiling ENTIRELY gilded with 24 carat gold. Nothing was too good for these pampered millionaires and their families. Now these and other mansions are part of a National Trust - Conservancy and are maintained partly by the income from tours such as the one we took. Catherine's Palace and Peter the Great's Peterhof are the only comparisons I can offer. On our way back from the mansions, the route of travel passed by the International Tennis Hall of Fame, and we were able to get the bus driver to let us off for a quick visit to this esteemed "Mecca" of the tennis world. There was available a tour of the spacious facilities but our limited time permitted only a visit to the gift shops and a few purchases. Then it was a 15-minute walk back down to the tender dock and on back to the ship. All in all, it was a most interesting and productive afternoon in Newport, Rhode Island. Today's activities in New York City will be described in tomorrow's email; tomorrow will be a relaxing day with only a wine tasting in the afternoon and our second -â€" and final -â€" formal night of the cruise. Then the tuxedo can again be packed away for another day. <<< "New York, New York ... What a Wonderful Town" October 22nd >>> We are now SMOOTHLY cruising on calm seas on our way down the Atlantic Coast towards Charleston, South Carolina, our last port of call tomorrow, Monday, October 24th. It is SO nice this morning to have a break in our normal routine of rushing around to get down to the Princess Theater to check-in for our tour of the day. Having an occasional sea day - such as today - is a welcome relief and cause for a lazy, relaxed morning. This afternoon at 3 PM we have another wine tasting -â€" complimentary for us Elite members -â€" and tonight is our second and last formal evening. Then the tuxedo gets packed away for a while. Yesterday we were in New York City for the day and it could NOT have been a more perfect day, beginning quite early around 5 AM as we sailed beneath the Verrazano Straights suspension bridge, marking the entrance to New York Harbor. Shortly afterward the Statue of Liberty came into view -â€" on ship's port side, requiring us to dress warmly and go up to the top deck to see her, all aglow in lights with her crown and torch shining brightly in the pre-dawn darkness. It was a MOST impressive sight! Then I returned to our starboard-side stateroom from which the view of the skyline of lower Manhattan, with the new World Center Tower -â€" already more than half-completed at 86 levels -â€" was awash in lights, a beacon shining brilliantly from the construction cranes on top. Its completion is scheduled for 2013 at a height of 1776 feet and 103 stories; the downed World Trade Center towers were 110 stories in height. Farther up the Empire State Building came into view with its top tower also aglow in colored lights and I watched as the lights were extinguished as the dawn neared. The entire skyline, silhouetted by the pink skies of the approaching sunrise was truly a sight to behold. The Crown Princess docked at Pier 90 around 7 AM alongside a German cruise ship, the AIDA aura, with its hideously painted bow with large red lips and bulging eyeballs farther back -â€" what kind of sick mind came up with THAT? Also at dock was the MSC Poseia, and the NCL Norwegian Jewel was approaching dock just behind us. Meeting our tour group in the Princess Theater at 7:30 AM we then proceeded ashore to our waiting bus for the 6-hour tour I had selected, "New York, New York." Our tour guide was Darrell, a very TALL black man, who turned out to be one of the BEST tour guides we have so far encountered. His wealth of information, crisply and clearly offered as we drove all around the Island was interlaced with his quick and acerbic humor; he could also be a stand-up comedian! Our first (of 4) stops was at Rockefeller Center where we were given tickets and an hour and a half to go up to the observation decks, "The Top of the Rock," the first at level 69 and the top-most at level 70; VERY fast elevators soared us to level 67 in seconds and escalators carried us further up to level 69, AFTER having passed through a very intensive security check -â€" quite understandable in view of the horrors of 10 years ago. The day was spectacularly clear and views from the Top were breath taking! Down to the Empire State Building with the new World Center Tower behind, and up to the expanse of Central Park, lined with posh apartment buildings. Darrell, our guide, had shared much information about some of these buildings -â€" the Dakota, for one, and who lived there, or had lived there; on and on his flow of facts came in a steady stream, allowing no lapse in listening to him. Again reboarding our bus we continued with a serpentine route, down and around the many famous streets of Manhattan: Park Avenue, Broadway, 42nd Street, Times Square, 57th Street (CBS), ... We passed Macy's Department Store, Bergdorfs, Tiffanys, ... I don't think we missed a single sight of tourist interest. We passed the Times Square location of ABC's "Good Morning America," with which I am so familiar, saw the huge globe that falls on New Year's Eve, saw many of the marquees of current Broadway plays, ... Down, down we traveled to Columbus Circle, then on into Greenich Village, Tribeca, Chinatown, and finally to our lunch stop on South Street at Pier 17, "The Seaport." With Google Earth I had previously "visited" this neighborhood and had already selected my choice for dining (not included in tour): The Heartland Brewery, just across the street from the Pier and the THOUSANDS of tourists dropped there by probably EVERY tour bus in Manhattan! Our table was outside and back far enough not to be bothered by the swarms of tourists. Our menu selections were for their delicious barbecue pulled pork and brisket, mine with sweet potato fries and cornbread and Jim's with baked beans and cornbread; I also chose one of their own brewery products, "Red Rooster Ale," which was very good, albeit a little heavy for my personal taste. After lunch and a brief walk along Pier 17 from which there was a great view of the Brooklyn Bridge going over the East River from Lower Manhattan. We reboarded our bus and then proceeded to the site of the World Trade Center disaster where we were given a sufficient amount of time to observe -â€" as well as possible -â€" the ongoing reconstruction from large windows; construction is NOT directly on the site of the two downed towers, but in the surrounding area where 5 other buildings came down, or were damaged, as well. Back on the bus we were driven by a point from which we could just barely see the 9/11 Memorial, a 90-foot waterfall -â€" from street level down, surrounded by a grove of trees. Our route of travel passed by Wall Street and the current and enlarging group of protesters, making the street traffic very congested in addition to the street congestion from the World Trade Center construction projects; it was a pleasure to be inside the bus with someone else driving! Being Saturday, the usual traffic was less than on a weekday, but in this area it was VERY congested. The last stop of our tour was at the very tip of Manhattan Island, at Battery Park, from which great views of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are possible. Then it was back on the bus for our 3:30 PM return to Pier 90 and the Crown Princess, well ahead of the 4:30 PM "all aboard" and 5 PM sail-away. It was a very FULL day, a MOST interesting day, and a THOROUGHLY complete visit to Manhattan -â€" thanks to our excellent guide, Darrell; he got a sizable tip from us, at least! Many other old cronies probably stiffed him, failing to tip at all! But these are the same slugs of society who continually complain about everything; I try to avoid them like the plague. So that is it until after tomorrow's visit in Charleston, South Carolina, where our tour is "Historic Charleston and the Magnolia Gardens." Luckily the weather will be warming the farther south we cruise. <<< Last Formal Night: Sunday, October 23rd >>> The evening of our next-to-last day at sea was also our last formal night but, unlike past cruises, there was no Captain's Farewell Party -â€" with free drinks -â€" preceding dinner. More of Carnival's cost-cutting, I conclude. The Captain's Welcome Party has also now been combined with the Champagne Waterfall event -â€" more Carnival cost-cutting. I often yearn for those "BC" years on Princess cruises: "Before Carnival." Since Jim's birthday is October 29th, the date on which we would be flying home from Washington DC, he decided to do a "turn around" by presenting to those at our dining table with HIS birthday cake! Of course, it was enjoyed by all of us, especially our waiter, assistant waiter, and room steward who also received a healthy slice of the huge, delicious cake Jim had ordered. <<< Smoothly Cruising towards Fort Lauderdale: October 25th >>> Our final day at sea is here! Tomorrow morning we again join those on land and this great 12-day cruise from Quebec City to Sydney and Halifax, Nova Scotia; to Bar Harbor, Maine; to Boston; to Newport, Rhode Island; to New York City, and lastly to Charleston, South Carolina, will have come to an end. The seas are rather smooth and the blue skies are only partly clouded with prospects for another warm day as we approach Florida. Yesterday in Charleston turned out to be a beautiful, warm day and this first visit for me was filled with new sights and new information. It is a historical and old city, filled with ante bellum homes that have been carefully maintained and preserved. Popular tourist attractions are carriage rides around the town, pulled by mules, but our full day tour did not include such. The main attraction in our tour was the Magnolia Plantation, a fair distance from Charleston, along the Ashley River -â€" one of the two rivers that create the "peninsula" on which the City lies, the other being the Cooper River. Fort Sumter occupies a prominent position at the entrance to the large and busy harbor of Charleston. Our tour buses brought us to the Plantation along the Ashley River Road, a two-lane highway, appropriately running along the Ashley River. Originally comprising 2000 acres, reconstruction after the War Between the States (the preferred name here) necessitated the sale of all but 500 acres, the present size. Covered by thick groves of ancient oak trees, draped with Spanish moss, and dotted with numerous "lakes" or bogs -â€" once sites of a thriving rice production, the Plantation also hosts a plethora of camellia bushes, azalea bushes, and other beautiful flowering plants. Some of the lakes, covered with green vegetation, are home to alligators some of which were visible sunning themselves on constructed wooden "benches" in the lake. Our first activity was a 45-minute tram ride all around the property along paths covered by over-hanging branches laced with Spanish moss. This was followed by an extensive tour of the Plantation house -â€" the third such in its location, the others having been burned -â€" some in the War, some otherwise. Filled with antique furnishings and family memorabilia of the Drayton Family, the most stunning exhibits were the hand-stitched quilts adorning the several beds: beautiful! Then came an enjoyable "nature walk" along the River bank and amid the many ponds; fortunately, no alligators were sighted during the walk. Lunch was provided and served at tables beneath the spreading branches of the oak trees, near a pasture where small horses were grazing and attracting the tourists' attention. Along with a delicious chicken salad served on a large croissant, potato salad and Cole slaw, a pickle, and a chocolate chip cookie, topped off the box lunch. Then it was time to say goodbye to this magnificent relic of the Old South. Our return to the City of Charleston was followed by an extensive tour of the city streets, a main highlight being a drive around and through the Citadel, the famous military university steeped in history where some of the 2000 cadets were observed striding around the campus, busy with classes on this Monday morning. Then came the many, many beautiful old homes with their columned porticos, all meticulously maintained according to City codes. A stop near a park on the southern-most point of the peninsula provided a short walk along the waterfront with Fort Sumter in view out in the harbor, and more ante bellum homes lining the street behind the park. No home over 100 years in age can be destroyed and remodeling or refurbishment must be done with the approval of an architectural board. Our guide for the day was Martha, a true lady of the South and dedicated lover of the City of Charleston; her soft southern accent, her obvious affection for the city, and her vast knowledge its past and current history made this tour one of the best we have experienced. My first time in Charleston was indeed memorable. Our departure late yesterday afternoon at 6 PM was blessed with a spectacular sunset, viewed from Sun Deck 17 during the Sail Away; our exit brought us right alongside Fort Sumter, still guarding the entrance to the harbor of Charleston, the site of the first shots of the "War Between the States." Today is a relaxed one with the only special activity being our Champagne Balcony Breakfast, due to arrive and be served at 10 AM; Patric, of Travel Travel, has again gifted us with this very enjoyable, delicious and elegant treat. Fortunately, our balcony is today warm enough for completely pleasurable dining. This will be my last email from the ship because also today is that most UN-enjoyable task of packing for tomorrow's disembarkation; we will immediately go to the airport by taxi for our 12:40 PM flight to Washington DC for three nights before returning home. <<< Washington DC, an Epilogue: October 26th -â€" 29th >>> Our United flight from Washington, DC, Saturday afternoon to Chicago, aboard one of United's small regional jets (Embraer 170), was on time and smooth - AFTER flying over the storm front. Then our United flight on to Los Angeles that night aboard a B757 was quite smooth and in fact 20 minutes early on arrival. My purchase of United's "Premier Travel" - which includes their Economy Plus seats along with TWO checked bags and Group 1 boarding, was an excellent investment: all FOUR bags were checked all the way through from Reagan National Airport to LAX - actually arriving there on an earlier flight; they were there waiting for us. I will now have to amend my sometimes-harsh criticism of United Airlines; our flights could NOT have been more friendly, pleasant and efficient. I even received a complimentary cocktail on both flights! Our three nights in Washington, DC, following the short jetBlue flight from Fort Lauderdale on their Embraer 190 regional jet, after an uneventful disembarkation from the Crown Princess on October 26th and short taxi ride to the airport, were quite pleasant - even with the light drizzles. (I had successfully printed our boarding passes from my Apple laptop in our stateroom over the ship's wireless network to the printer in the Internet Cafe on Plaza Deck 5.) We had a White House Tour at 7:30 AM on Wednesday and then a Pentagon Tour that afternoon at 3 PM - both very interesting. Then on Thursday we were given a Capitol Tour by an intern in Congressman John Campbell's office, also very interesting. These tours had been arranged well in advance, of course, as is required. Most of our transit was on the Metro, which I think is probably THE MOST beautiful and efficient of any in the world, and I have seen many: London, Montreal, Rome, Moscow, Sydney, Boston, ... And NO graffiti! Amazing! The interior design of the Metro stations' oval shaped ceilings is geometrically interesting to this old mathematics professor. Even our fare cards can now be returned for a cash refund of the un-used balances. Our hotel, the St. Gregory Luxury Hotel and Suites, was located midway between the Foggy Bottom Metro Station (at George Washington University) and the Dupont Circle Metro Station, making it most convenient to travel where ever we wanted - cheaply and fast. Washington, DC, is such a unique city with the classic architecture of the many older buildings, in addition to the plethora of federal buildings and monuments. Three days were hardly sufficient to see everything. Fortunately I had visited for 8 days during a Spring Break from school back in 1994. I didn't realize until after arriving back in Los Angeles the "weather bullet" we had dodged! As mentioned, there was a little turbulence on our United flight out of Washington DC - just before reaching altitude, apparently as we flew over the storm front, but the rest of the flight was smooth into Chicago. Then the flight on to LAX was very smooth. We were SO LUCKY! As I viewed the TV reports about that jetBlue flight that was stranded on the tarmac in Hartford, Connecticut, for SEVEN AND A HALF HOURS - also a flight from Fort Lauderdale, I feel very, very fortunate for the timing of our travels! We did have a few drizzles in Washington DC during our days there - similar to those we had in Quebec City, but nothing to really hinder our touring. I have made progress on emptying luggage and then dealing with laundry, but I'm in no real hurry. Fortunately, most of our clothes were laundered on the ship before disembarkation. A real effort was catching up on email, snail mail, and the plethora of junk mail; 17 days can create a real pile-up! But it was all worth it! A very nice cruise preceded by a wonderful visit in Quebec City and followed by a great visit to Washington, DC. ~Ron Less

Published 11/08/11

Cabin review: MBD317 Mini-Suite with Balcony

Our category AB mini-suite D317 was located quite near to mid ship and was convenient to both the forward and middle stairways and elevators, although NOT very convenient to the rear stairways and elevators down to the Botticelli Dining Room. The mini-suite had the standard extra living room with triple sofa, chair and table, as well as two large flat-panel TVs - with one remote, spacious refrigerator that worked quite well. Our twin beds were really quite comfortable and the duvet coverings were very nice. Closet space was more than ample and the large bathroom boasted a standard-size bathtub with shower. The linens were very fine and the towels were thick and plush. Shower curtains were new and efficient. Furniture appeared to have been recently reupholstered. The FOUR chairs and table on our standard size balcony were in good repair and the railing had recently been refinished. Sounds from either side neighbors were almost non-existent: good sound-proofing. Overall, the cabin was in excellent condition.

Read All Mini-Suite with Balcony (MB) Reviews >>

Port and Shore Excursions

Although the village of Bar Harbor is most charming in itself, it is the splendor of the Acadian National Park - including Cadillac Mountain and the Loop Road - which dominates the attraction of Mount Dessert Island. On one of my three visits here, our lobster lunch was provided at the historic Asticou Inn in Northeast Harbor, and it was superb! This Inn overlooks the Harbor and is surrounded by exquisite gardens: a real treasure! This last visit included an outstanding lobster lunch in Hulls Cove, near Bar Harbor, and the Prince Edward Island muscles served as an appetizer were unbelievably GOOD! I made a real pig of myself on the several bowls of them I consumed. Luckily I still had room for the huge lobster served piping hot from their steamer, along with corn on the cob and Cole slaw. What a "lunch!" Absolutely spectacular!

Being the third visit to Boston, the previous two having been exhaustingly complete: Freedom Trail, Faneuil Hall, North End, Old North Church, Paul Revere's home, Bunker Hill, John Hancock Center, Prudential Building, the Back Bay, and Cheers, this last visit was limited to a wonderful lunch at the Legal Seafoods Harborside with Gloria, my former next door neighbor who now lives on Cape Cod. The lobster roll I had was so, SO good, as was the clam chowder starter! This is a fairly new restaurant but an old and established chain which I whole heartedly recommend. It was an easy 10-minute walk from the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal.
Read 495 Boston Reviews

Another first for me, Charleston, South Carolina, provided a glimpse of the colonial past of a young America. A beautiful city, carefully maintained ante bellum homes, displayed the "Southern Charm" so famous of the City. Our tour was to the nearby Magnolia Plantation and Gardens which continued the pleasure of viewing an historic plantation home surrounded by acres of ancient oak trees draped with Spanish moss and interlaced with green vegetation covered ponds, remnants of a once thriving rice-growing industry. After the "War Between the States," as they prefer to say here, and the end of slavery, the rice production disappeared since it was the knowledge of these African slaves that had made it possible. The interior of the plantation home with its many antiques and memorabilia to view made the entire time an enjoyable experience. A delicious box lunch of chicken salad on a croissant, sweet potato fries, and Cole slaw was served at table beneath the flowing branches of the old oak trees, nearby a pasture where small horse were grazing and also attracting the attention of the visitors. Our subsequent city tour took us back to Charleston and through the Citadel University, then in session, and along the many streets lined with old homes still maintained in their original splendor. A real step back into history!

Although we immediately flew from Fort Lauderdale back to Washington DC on this visit, our two previous visits have been highlighted with the Water Taxi tours of this beautiful city with its many canals and exquisite homes, displaying a modern opulence and extravagance unique to this city. It is not JUST the biggest and busiest cruise terminus after all. Beautiful beaches, excellent restaurants, scenic waterways, and spectacular weather make Fort Lauderdale a wonderful place!

The several times I have visited Halifax have been on tours to the north, to the Bay of Fundy and the Grand Pre region near the village of Wolfville, home for 200 years to the French Acadians before being unceremoniously ejected by the conquering British. Some of these Acadians wound up in Louisiana where they became known as "Cajuns," a mispronunciation of "Acadians." Twice I have visited the Annapolis Valley and toured wineries: the Grand Pre Winery and then the Gasperau Winery in Gasperau Valley. Both produce excellent wines and it was a unique pleasure to encounter these "cold weather" grape vineyards and taste their wines. The included lunch in Wolfville at the Tempest Cafe was excellent, with a lobster roll - chuck full of succulent lobster pieces, preceded by a bowl of clam chowder and followed by a sinfully-rich dessert of an apple tart smothered in maple sauce, topped with vanilla ice cream! Also a major apple-growing region, the superb apples were most abundant at the time of our visit: October. There are apple orchards everywhere you look! Sydney, Nova Scotia, (not on the list) was our first port-of-call after Quebec City, and our visit to Cape Breton Island - to the Bras d'Or Lakes - was excellent, highlighted by the Scottish Highland Village, a real living museum with ancient and antique buildings and furnishings reminiscent of a rich Scottish history. Included lunch was at the Inverary Inn in the village of Baddeck, home of Alexander Graham Bell and a Museum in his honor. It was my second time visiting here and lunching at the Inverary Inn, and it was again very excellent with OUTSTANDING clam chowder to start with and peanut butter cookies to end with. Wonderful lunch!
Read 570 Halifax Reviews

Our full day tour of NYC was as complete, enjoyable and interesting as it could have possibly been. Luckily, our guide was Darrell, a tall black man who could easily make a career as a stand-up comedian. However, this rapid delivery of a plethora of knowledge and clever quips as our bus criss-crossed the Island of Manhattan keep our intent attention; we did not want to miss a word! Our lengthy stop at the Rockefeller Center with a tour to the "Top of the Rock" was a highlight as was the stop near the World Trade Center disaster where we were able to observe much of the reconstruction projects. Lunch at the Seaport Village on South Street near Pier 17 was very, VERY crowded with many other tourists, but my choice of the independent lunch at the Heartland Brewery and Pub was an excellent one. We were seated far enough back from the Pier 17 area that the crowds were of not consequence. There was a fabulous view from Pier 17 of the Brooklyn Bridge, however.

My first visit to Newport, Rhode Island, was indeed memorable. Besides touring two magnificent "mansions," built by the Vanderbilts in the later 1800s, I was also able to visit the International Tennis Hall of Fame which is also located in Newport; since my sport is tennis, this honor was especially important. The half day spent in this port was hardly enough to absorb the opulence and elegance of the many mansions and "cottages." Another visit is certainly warranted!
Read 171 Newport Reviews

Undoubtedly the most European city in North America, Quebec City is an absolute treasure of colonial splendor and beauty. Our two nights here at the Htel Le Germain-Dominion preceding the cruise provided many opportunities to tour and investigate the charms of this ancient city. The hotel's proximity to the Cruise Terminal was also a tremendous "plus," with only a block to drag our luggage. Anyone who has yet not visited Quebec City has missed an experience of lifetime.

Compare Prices on Crown Princess Canada & New England Cruises

Read more Crown Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic’s Crown Princess Review >>

Compare Prices on Crown Princess Canada & New England Cruises

Member Since 2005
1,235 Forum Posts
Enrichment Activities
Family & Children
Fitness & Recreation
Onboard Experience
Public Rooms
Shore Excursions
Value for Money
Skip X

See Crown Princess deals up to 82% off:

October Deals
Crown Princess 68% Loved It

14 Night Canada & Colonial America
See all Crown Princess Deals >>