3. Adventure of the Seas
My sister and I travelled together for the first time and these are our memories: Day 1. Malaga. Flew into Malaga from Yorkshire that morning; flights booked independently through Jet 2. No problem, good flight which arrived early. Had booked airport to port transfers through Royal Caribbean. Staff from RC waiting at airport and was easily able to transfer onto coach and a hasty transfer to the port. Very efficient. Check in for the ship was easy as we had completed the set sail passes on line so it literally took about 5 minutes to get our on board spend credit cards which also open your room. The queueing for the check in was organised and the queue moved very quickly as there were many desk clerks on duty so the experience was very good. After embarking we headed for the Windjammer cafe for lunch. As it was about 1pm the ship was relatively quiet still and the food in the cafe was very good for a self service facility. We then headed for our room. The ship is lovely but more importantly the staff on board took trouble to speak to us in corridors etc and were on hand to help if needed. Our room did not disappoint. It was the cheapest interior stateroom but spotlessly clean and well tended. The bed was hastily made up into 2 single beds as opposed to a double and it was a spacious home for the week. Next day was spent on the ship. Lovely facilities A La Carte breakfast or buffet in a different restaurant were available and the standard was very high. Again, staff were so pleasant and seemed genuinely happy to serve and oblige. Madeira. Our first day on land was a visit to Madeira. We decided to go alone as had visited Madeira before. A shuttle bus was available along the prom for 6 euros per person each way but we decided to walk (about 25 minutes from one end to the other) We went on the cable car to Monte then on the baskets down the mountain but be aware, those baskets go quite quickly - my sister loved it! We had a nice lunch at the port end of Madeira at The Beer House sandwich and a pot of tea, high standard and very reasonable; it is then 10 minutes walk from here to the ship. Day 2 was Tenerife - There was a free shuttle bus into Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz is nice, there is an old town apparently which we missed but we walked around the streets and bought a few things then had a sandwich lunch near the port at Olympia then back on the ship. A nice place to visit for a day. Grand Canaria We had booked a trip (through RC) on Grand Canaria called Ageata Valley tour - I can really recommend this trip we went to a family farm and the farmer produces many fruits and lovely wine - the hospitality there was great and we then had some photo stops and a stop for 45 minutes by the sea which was also lovely. A thoroughly enjoyable day and the farm will stay in our memory for a long time. Lanzarote another trip through RC which I can definitely recommend entitled "Yesterday and Today in Lanzarote" the tour guide was fantastic. We visited a lovely site where there was a museum based on previous life in Lanzarote. We then visited a most spectacular cactus garden which was stunning the colours were beautiful. Lastly we visited the home of the famous Lanzarote designer from the 60s who had an unusual home carved out from volcanic eruptions. The home was part of a visitor centre and was interesting and reflected life in 60s and 70s. I can recommend this trip. The next day was spent at sea and we really relaxed before returning home. I can definitely recommend this cruise it was wonderful and I cannot be more complimentary of the staff on board the Adventure of the Seas or of the organisation and quality of the ship. Easily four star. Disembarkation was good up to the point of getting our cases. It was a bit of a crush for the RC buses to get us onto the airport transport but frankly this is our only gripe; the rest of the trip was wonderful. Happy memories to take us through the winter. I have been with RC twice now and found them first class. Thank you Royal Caribbean.

ROYAL CARIBBEAN ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS - CANARIES