3. Norwegian Jade
We flew in a day early to insure bad weather did not make us miss the cruise since we live in Germany where it has been snowing sooo much. We stayed at the Hotel Jazz which was alright, nothing special. We spent the afternoon and evening photographing Christmas lights in Barcelona, so pretty. Next morning we took the Hop N Ride, and we froze because sitting in the top section it was so cold, but we did see much of the city. Then taking a cab from the Hotel, where they were holding our suitcases, to the ship and we arrived around noon. We found that there were many folks embarking at various counters. It was all quite organized and since we were in a garden villa suite we were assigned our butler, who took us and guided us to our room. He showed us the private garden area with small plunge pool and hot tub. There is a tiny exercise room (without windows) with an exercise bike and the treadmill. He then escorted us up to the garden villas private deck which is above the rooms. Since our room was not ready yet we then went to Cagney's for lunch, which breakfast and lunch is included in our room. We had a very good meal and being on diets we were able to find something that kept the calories down. Our room was adequate seemed smaller than the ones on HAL with a very small balcony. We loved the shower with it's multiple jets up and down the wall and the window to see outside. This is the first cruise liner that actually provides a night light over the toilet, downside the glass door to the toilet would not stay closed during rough seas so banged unless blocked by a stool. The bed area is very nice. The room was cleaned very well each day but for some reason they kept leaving this metal trash can, that looked like a wine bucket, in the doorway instead of where we kept moving it to, and wanted it to stay. There is also a TV in the bathroom but during our cruise none of the American channels worked. Also around 2:00 a.m. they would hook up a hose on the outside wall and spray the above deck which we could hear, don't get the room under the deck up top the teens run and jump causing thumping during the night. There were lots of Christmas decorations from snow man to elves. Christmas night we ate in the Mexican restaurant and it was totally empty. The manager even gave us a free margarita which we didn't drink due to the diet. Each night candies or chocolate covered strawberries were brought to our room which we returned and finally got fruit slices instead around the second or third day. On Christmas day a gingerbread house covered in white frosting and candy with candy and cookies laying around it was left in our room. Ugh!!! Talk about will power we had to call the butler to remove this the smell of sugar and chocolate filled the room. I must say they are not shy about feeding on this ship. We used the main food hall and the attendants were really nice, the tables were quickly cleaned, the food looked great and what a selection! They out did HAL from this perspective. Sadly after one of our excursions this was closed and the only place open was near the pool. The man and woman serving there were rude and downright lazy! I had to reach under the guard and ended up burning my wrist on the side of the pan trying to get a thin over cooked chicken breast the only two left, they were the only negative people I found onboard. There were dance lessons that we participated in but I just could not get the hang of it. I would of really liked to seen more activities that involved moving the body around. Used the exercise room which was very nice. They provide cloths and spray to sanitize the machines before and after use. The Treadmills face a vast window which tended to add to my seasickness on the rough days but on smoother days we did great. The treadmills also have heart monitors on them, a couple did not work. They also have TV's on them so you can watch the upcoming port information. There is also a running path on deck but good luck in getting people not to block you. They had a huge spiral slide but it appears not enough deck chairs and many days it just was too rough with the pool area closed and the water sloshing out onto the deck. The ports we had such high expectations for fell flat. The first in Casablanca was a total let down. To a mosque we could not enter, but pretty outside. A very long bus ride to a town to see another one, then lunch in a very very crowded place where the flies were climbing over the food in the waiting bowls on our table. Agadir, Morocco a bus ride up a hill to see an arch, then a long bus ride to a suke or market that was DISGUSTING! The normal ones were closed so this guy drags the group through this skinny walk way soaked with donkey pee and smashed who knows what; it oozed up into my sandals. The people looked hostile so made us very nervous. Then our guide purchased some tangerines and walked us on out the other end. Some people of course stopped to buy items and held up the group. There was a severed cows head on a stick with a pile of goat heads underneath. The roof was trash bags and rags held up with sticks and dripping nasty water on us. Then to a place where they sold us cosmetics and body creams. We went to a sort of "set" where we watched belly dancing by one young lady, four men on horses shooting guns, there were camel rides, and snake charmers, this was the highlight of the Moroccan visit. The ride down the coast was questionable; the people looked angry and one man dropped his trousers and squatted down right there on a hill by the road level with the bus windows, and did his business...GROSS! I definitely do not recommend taking children down there. We found out we are "tourist" not "explorers". Meaning: we like clean toilets and everyone uses them, we like feeling secure and not like we are invading the locals, we like clean places and our food does not have insects sharing it. We were only allowed to shop in one store and very limited time. The people who did the overnight on shore and met us again in Agadir did not sound like they made a great choice. I may of confused the two Morocco ports excursions but if you take both it pretty much covers it. Funchal, Portugal was not much there we used the Hop & Ride there wasn't much to see. They do have some magnificent flowers there for sale but whether they will clear customs is another thing. Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, Spain : Used H&R again. What a beautiful island. We enjoyed the sights, I would go back here on my own. Malaga, Granada, Spain this place was also beautiful and you could see the people were friendly, again I would go here on my own. We did the tour to Alhambra, whoa now that is special place to go, the long bus trip was worth it. The shows on the ship, only two of the week were very good one was magic. We had special reserved seats up in the balconies being in the garden villas, we wish HAL had this advantage to their suites. We heard nothing but great reviews on the Cagney Steakhouse. Well we were really let down even with each of us paying $20 for the meal the cruse line also wanted more for the lobster my husband ordered which came overcooked. Also they require you pay with credit card for your meal which we did not know unlike HAL who uses your room card for all charges, and gives you a bill at the end of the cruise. The cruise line already has your credit card info with them so if you don't have any problems with the bill then you don't have to deal with it. My husband had to go back to the room and get the credit card, very embarassing and it appeared we were walking out without paying. During lunch on another day the hostess sat us then another couple. The waitress took their order and brought them drinks and I finally had to wave her down to come to our table. Breakfast they could not seem to remember what table ordered what and forgot things. We ended up eating in the garden area where that young man also forgot things like toast to go with the eggs, repeatedly. This attendant also would "disappear" when someone came in to eat so you could sit there for some time waiting for his return. I think he did this on his own to get customers to use the dining room instead. This is our first cruise with young people of all ages and being a holiday there were lots of them. I found it disturbing that parents and the crew allowed the children mostly teens to congregate on the staircase to the point of blocking it. I must say though when I politely asked to go up they were very polite and moved. I just think parents should direct their children to better locations to lounge. The ships store could use some reorganizing and selling better items, so much wasted space. Disembarkation was a fiasco. People bringing down their own luggage with people tripping over it. We had to go out in a very crowded line then creeps down the the terminal to find ourselves confronted with Taxi drivers who tried to direct you to another cab instead of the buses for the ship so be careful here, the buses are to the left when you walk out past the cabs. All and all we could not determine which was better HAL or NCL, each has their shortcomings, both have their pluses. I did like the personal butler better than having to go to the Neptune Lounge to get something, I just wish the butler spoke English better, sometimes it appeared he had trouble understanding us. Victor our room steward should be at a higher level he spoke great English, was very attentive.

Had a pretty good time.

Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by Bushy H.

• Sail Date: December 2010
  • Destination: Canary Islands
  • Cabin Type: Courtyard Penthouse with Balcony

Bushy H.’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Norwegian Jade price drops

Courtyard Penthouse with Balcony
Cabin H5 14514
Cabin had a lot of room but not enough hanging space for clothing, probably a third of what HAL gives you. We liked the nightlight over the toilet but the glass door to the toilet would not stay secured so banged during high seas so had to be blocked by a stool. Shower was great with multi jets up and down the wall. TV could not get English channels during nearly the entire trip. Coffee maker needed emptying twice during the cruise and made extremely strong coffee so had to order lots of milk. Fresh flower arrangement (not a single flower) stayed great the entire five day cruise, I loved them. Bed was comfortable but you could not see the ocean from the bed something I personally enjoy on HAL. I like to leave the curtains open when we go to bed and see the ocean in the moonlight. The balcony is half the size of HAL without a table to eat on, we like to eat our lunch on the balcony. This room was very noisy, they must have some sort of hook up for hoses on the wall outside so you would hear them at 2:00 a.m. hook up and start washing the private deck above this room. Also teenagers jumping on the viewing deck above causing thumping throughout the night. This room is the end room of the hall so not much traffic going by the exterior door is only allowed to be used coming in not going out. We were kept up all night thinking someone was banging the exterior door but turned out the electrical panel was left unlatched and the door banged with the high seas. I don't recommend this particular room. I do like the little sign by the door that you can adjust to say if you need the room cleaned, do not disturb, welcome.
Deck 14 Suite Cabins