3. Crown Princess
I have cruised with Princess three times now, six times with other lines. I always considered Princess the 'creme de la creme' of lines. I have read the negative reviews regarding this ship in particular and of Princess in general that were posted lately. I dismissed those reviews as ranting of people who expected five-star service at two-star pricing, or of those type of people who would not be happy or content with any level of service, food, entertainment, etc. I am not a gourmet or a wine connoisseur. I am usually quite content with standard fare offered by cruise lines. I am more concerned with being able to kick back, relax, enjoy the ship and the ports, and in general have a nice quite vacation. That being said, I now fully agree with prior reviewers that the quality of food on this ship has declined significantly from prior cruises. Whether in the dining rooms or the buffet, the decline was obvious and disappointing. My wife and I are 'anytime diners' and we called for reservations early each morning for dinner that night. On two of those nights we had to wait in line with reservations for over 45 minutes! Two more nights we waited in line with reservations for over 30 minutes! This is unacceptable and I blame poor communication and planning by reservation staff for the restaurants. They know what their capacity is, they told us which times we could have for reservations daily, yet we had to wait along with many other disappointed guests due to their lack of planning! One thing that has not changed in my opinion is the level of service in the dining rooms, buffets, and at all bars on ship. The ship's staff continually falls all over themselves to make sure you are happy with their service. I was very happy and very grateful to see that this area had not declined! I spent a considerable amount of time at the Terrace Pool, located on the ship's stern, 14th floor. I noted people here reserving chairs by putting towels on them, then not returning for two-three hours at a time. Ship rules state that chairs cannot be reserved, and that the ship's staff will remove the towels after 15 minutes. If anyone believes that I have some great property in the Florida swamps for you today only! The ship's staff came through this area many times each hour but no attempt was made to 'unreserve chairs' by that staff. I noted that this particular pool was reserved for adults only. I met a young girl who was constantly accompanied by her Mother and Grandmother who swam in this pool each day. We became good acquaintances as she was very well mannered and quiet for her age. She would show me how she could do flips, etc. in the pool while we had a running conversation with her Mother and Grandmother. One of the ship's staff came over and asked her how old she was in a very discourteous manner. He scared the little girl with his abrupt manner and I immediately came to her rescue, along with her Grandmother. He called a senior officer to the pool who handled the situation very professionally and courteously, however he told the young girl and her Grandmother that she could not use the pool. Her Grandmother and I argued in her favor but to no avail. Her Mother and Grandmother brought her to this pool because of the use of loud vulgar language used around the other pools by adults who were not travelling with children, and who had too much to drink. I fully understand that rules must be followed, but there must be exceptions to the rules and I felt that this matter surely qualified. It left an awful lump in my throat, and I am sure that the young girl and her family will never step foot on a Princess ship again. As for myself and my wife, I am unsure whether I will use them again. I should comment on embarkation and disembarking. As Elite Captain Circle members we were whisked to the front of the line on embarkation. We got through the paperwork, received our cruise card, and were in our cabin in no time. Princess still does this area quickly and professionally! Disembarking went the same way. I was very much impressed with Princess in this area!

I believe the other reviews now!

Crown Princess Cruise Review by Patsky

• Sail Date: January 2011
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview (obstructed view)

Patsky’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Crown Princess price drops

Oceanview (obstructed view)
Cabin OW e506
E506 is supposed to be obstructed. Our only obstruction was directly down to the side of the ship. We could see out very well. This was a great decision for us!
Emerald Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Roatan
    Roatan was a joke. It appears that the cruise lines got together, dug out a channel that a ship has to back into, and stuck a dock there. From there they built a shopping mall complete with open-air bar, with exhorbitantly high prices, and added a small beach complete with biting insects. They were nice enough to build a skylift to whisk you to the beach, about 500 yards away from the ship. Avoid this port at all costs!
    View All 2,897 Roatan Cruise Port Reviews