Allure of the Seas Cruise Review
2,995 Reviews

Got a good price, but just average cruise

Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by DanCait

• Sail Date: Sep 2019
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Central Park View Balcony

On our cruise before this one, we had docked next to Allure of the Seas, and having heard of Oasis Class ships, I was intrigued, as we were on a 1900pax ship, and I was wondering what extra fun was to be had on a large ship with lots of offerings. The couple we were sitting next to at the time said, they went on, they were glad they did, but they wont ever go again. Now having been on it, that is kind of my opinion too. Our travel agent had an unbelievable price on an inside balcony, like we paid $600 less than the rate on RCCL's website.

The room was very basic, like a cheap hotel. The AC was awful, always so humid in the room. Some of the limited storage was only deep enough to fit a rolled up t-shirt, like 3-4" deep. We had a good cabin steward. Having a CPAP machine, I had ordered water and an extension cord, I got the water, but there was no extension cord, but the cabin steward showed me a hidden outlet under the bed.

The food was, well, this isn't the vacation if you are a foodie. One night in the MDR, the options were so unappealing, we ordered a few appetizers and went to the buffet. We had 5 meals at specialty restaurants. At Sabor Mexican, I expected greatness, but it seemed to be the prepared quality of Taco Bell. We tried Chops twice, amazing service, but the food was equal to Applebees. The only two places I'd eat again on the ship: We went to 150 Park, that was pretty good. The best was Giovanni's, amazing entrees, we didn't order the steak, the waitress brought it anyway, and it was in the top 10 steaks I have had in my life, made me wish I never went to Chops.

We bought the Unlimited beverage package. We aren't huge drinkers, but we are cheap, and onboard we know we would never buy a drink if we didn't pre-pay! We did love getting vegetable drinks at the fitness center. Premium coffees at the cafe. The Schooner bar is where most of the trivia activities were held, so that was the bar we were at most of the time, and they were out of several ingredients to make the drinks on their menu. If you have a menu, you should never be out of those drinks!

The performances were pretty good. I did love the uniqueness of the aqua show and the ice rink at sea. Some of the performances were slightly interrupted by the ship's rocking, which I predict was made worse by the fact the Allure was sailing with only the center and one outer azipod, creating less thrust, and uneven thrust the entire trip.

We were sold a fitness package and told there were "tons of classes all the time" and told their a-la-cart prices were more than they really were, turns out there were few classes offered, and there was only one at that high a-la-cart price. Even taking advantage of the many that we did, we would have been cheaper paying a-la-cart.

We did not do any shore excursions with the ship. We did take one excursion with the same local tour company that the ship offered. We paid around $50 less per person, we watched the ship tour pull off in an overloaded boat, our excursion had 10 people on a boat that could have fit 40, much more comfortable, the same tour, lower price!

The best part was the embarkation, it was the easiest I have ever done on a ship, I did the self checkin at home, when we got to the port, they did a face scan, and I was on the ship as soon as it was cleared to board.

DanCait's Full Rating Summary