Viking Orion Cruise Review

A wonderful experience

Viking Orion Cruise Review by bjredhead

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: Australia & New Zealand

I had always wanted to go to Australia. My husband and I had a great time. Processing to board and disembarkation went very smooth. Our time in Bali before setting sail was at a beautiful resort.

The entire crew took such good care of us. We felt so special, the housekeeping staff always remembered our names and the dining experience wonderful with a wide variety of choices. Having our laundry done was a real treat. The ship was spectacular, always clean and beautifully decorated. We really enjoyed the shipboard talks and entertainment.

Most of the shore excursions were extremely hot and physically demanding. Many of the participants had trouble along the way. Use of the tenders to primitive location didn’t always go smoothly, ours hit and pierced the fiberglass hull at Komodo Island. The things we saw were once in a lifetime from the Komodo dragons to the awesome beauty on the towns and shoreline of Australia. I leaned so much about this country that I didn’t know.

bjredhead's Full Rating Summary

We were upgraded two days before our departure from a Penthouse Veranda. Our upgraded room was larger with better amenities. It was marvelous, we slept well from the very first night.

Senggigi Beach

Not much to see and it was extremely hot

View All 5 Senggigi Beach Reviews
Museum & Art Gallery

The museum was very interesting. I could relate to the Cyclone Tracy exhibit, it echoed our Hurricane Katrina in Mississippi. Really loved the indigenous art as well.

View All 5 Museum & Art Gallery Reviews

One of the best excursions of the cruise. The captain was knowledgeable of the area, he explained why the boats were in the condition they were. We saw a crocodile trap and why they were necessary. Loved it!

Thursday Island

Independent explanation, there wasn’t much to look at or do.

Really enjoyed the Wildlife Dome, when I found our it was on top of a casino I didn't think I would like it but I was pleasantly surprised. They had a small selection of the many and varied species indigenous to Australia. They have the animals on display to show people that when habitat is lost what else is being lost and the variety of beautiful animals.

View All undefined undefined Reviews

Beautiful walk with explanations of the various types of flora and fauna. We also saw some native birds.

Mount Tamborine

We drove out to a wonderful farm and saw kangaroos along the way. We ate lunch and leaned to through a boomerang. It was cool.

View All 6 Mount Tamborine Reviews
Wine Tour

We went to two wineries and a cheese tasting. I felt rushed at the first winery and cheese place, by the time I had decided I wanted to buy something it was time to get on the bus. The second winery had a fun wine tasting game but again rushed.

View All 12 Wine Tour Reviews