3. Sky Princess
First of all I want to say that my husband and I are Elite on Princess and have been Elite for about seven years. We were also on Royal Princess for 49 days in February and March 2019. That being said, we were excited to sail on the brand new Sky Princess and were shocked and dismayed at the incredible decline in service and food quality in just nine months. Over the years each time we boarded for a new cruise, this feature or that was cheapened, vanished, or became an upcharge. I must admit also, this was the first cruise that we didn’t buy any future cruise certificates. Cabin - We had a forward mini suite on Deck 12. We were not offered our welcoming glass of champagne that all suite passengers are supposed to get on either the first seven days or the second seven days. Bars of soap are no longer available. The Elite toiletries bag was not provided. I asked for it and was told the gold bag was no longer available. No more hair conditioner, no more tubes of lotion. My room Stewart handed me a nail file, a linen freshener, a shower cap, and a tube of chapstick. He said they put it on a towel now. We had already been aboard for two days. It took two days to get our bathrobes and Elite cocktail guides. The lights behind the sofa were constantly not working. Maintenance got them both working for about two days, then back to only one light again. There are two TVs in a mini suite. If you are sitting on the sofa and attempt to turn on one TV, they both come on. To turn off the second TV you must take the remote to within one inch of the TV then you can turn it off without turning the other TV off. It was aggravating. Non skid bathtub mats were also no longer available. Food Sabatini’s- There is a new menu so we thought we would give it a try. Big mistake! The upcharge is now $25. We expected better than what the buffet served. First, menu descriptions do not match what you actually receive. The bread is the same as every other dining venue. The appetizer was not as described. We got some kind of pastry puff instead of the wheat loaf. The fried zucchini while tasty, was three McDonald’s French Fries size pieces with two strings of yellow squash. They came with a slice of very stale bread with a glob of cheese melted on it. Just plain nasty. Next came the pasta course. I got the trio. They came in small baking dishes. What I actually got was the exact same lasagna paste served in the buffet, what was called chicken parm but turned out to be cubed chicken, half of which was breaded in a tomato soup sauce with a few salad croutons, a leaf of spinach, and a sprinkle of cheese. The third pasta was a rigatoni with pasty Alfredo sauce and mushrooms. I choked down the Alfredo pasta and pushed the rest away. At this point I began to complain how awful it was. Next course was fried sole. The fish was very fishy and tasted very old to the point of being spoiled. Needless to say I pushed it away. Hubby had seafood linguine that had no linguine! What he got was thin spaghetti with two shrimp and two clams in olive oil. Next he ordered the veal. He got two paper thin slices with a leaf of spinach in between, covered in brown gravy and mushrooms. The veal and the spinach were the same size. At this point, we again said how awful the food was. We got up to walk out. We asked where to pay but we were not charged. We then ended up getting a hot dog. World Market Place - Is the Horizon court with a new name and worse food and service. Food is a matter of taste so I will speak to quality and preparation. All over the ship passengers were talking about how horrible the food was. I got mashed potatoes with with hard cubes of nearly raw potatoes. I later saw mashed potatoes nearly brown from reheating so many times. Cheap cuts of beef brisket were served nearly every day. All food looked warmed over and most vegetables were previously frozen. Before our first seven days, the ship ran out of lettuce. We saw lots of people eating salads. Soups were mainly broth based with not much of anything in them. I noticed one woman who got rice in the buffet and vegetables and broth in the bistro. The day after formal night the buffet had a lobster dish with the tails cut into 3-4 pieces shells and all covered in a red sauce. Looked nasty to me. Food on the buffet was never hot. By the time you got to your seat it was tepid at best. Horizon Bistro - We got many meals here. You can make your own sandwiches, salads, tacos, or nachos. It was always crowded. Layout of the taco bar is backwards and you have to move back and forth to get meat and vegetables on your tortillas but it was edible. International Cafe - sandwiches and salads were edible. We ate breakfast there most every day. The panini press is gone but a new type of oven replaced it. It seemed to do a good job without ruining anything. Salads are now served in jars, about 2/3 cup per jar. Condiments are gone. You have to ask for ketchup to be put on your plate. At the coffee bar, sugar packets and coffee stirrers are gone. The biggest complaint is the muffins would be served no matter how stale and hard they were. If you really paid attention you could avoid this by remembering the muffin assortment from previous days. Salty Dog Grill - Real hit or miss. Real American cheese on cheese burgers was replaced with American Singles in plastic. It was hot on the deck and the grill cooks has issues getting the plastic off the fake cheese and the fake cheese stuck to their gloves. No cheeseburgers for us. The tacos at the grill were disgusting. Prefilled tacos were reheated on the grill. Soggy where the filling was and hard elsewhere. One bite and they went into the trash. Grilled chicken sandwiches were very thin. You really needed to order two and take the filling out of one of them, to get close to what we used to get. Hot dogs were just placed on the grill now. They were edible. French Fries were edible if you got them fresh cooked. Slice Pizza- The Lido deck pizza was very greasy. Lots of people were eating it. Not sure how they did it. Alfredo’s Pizza - We ate multiple meals here. The food was hot. Menu descriptions did not always match what you were served but, everything that was served was all right. MDR - we never ate there. We also heard the food was poor from other passengers. Entertainment - We went to one magic show that was just OK. We attended two movies in the Vista Lounge and two MUTS. There were lots of football games for football fans. Embark/ Debark- we were held up in the cruise terminal for about 2.5 hours because VIPs were aboard having a naming ceremony. Debark was a breeze. Internet - worked great when it worked. It frequently went out and took in room movies with it. Ocean Medallion- Personally, I don’t like carrying around a tracking device. It opened my stateroom door and recorded my transactions just like my key card used to do. I don’t see any value added to using it.

Disappointing Ship