3. Nieuw Amsterdam
My wife and I (71) booked this Caribbean cruise this past June while travelling on a 14 day Holland America Westerdam cruise from Seattle to Alaska. We always book a Interior Cabin. Embarkation at Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) was superb in every way. Arrived at 11:00 by parking shuttle and were on board by noon and it was extremely easy with minimal waiting and friendly staff. Luggage was in our room shortly thereafter. Our Cabin 8060 was very quiet. Only disappointment was that there was no Love Seat like we had on our Alaska cruise. Being on the 8th deck was handy to Lido on 9th deck. Acep and Alex looked after us very well. We choose table for 2 at 8:00 p.m. First night dining at Table 3 for late dining on deck 3 was disappointing due to location next to noisy serving station and one of 2 seats staring into a wall. We asked for a change and Maître D Karay moved us to Table 4 which was the best thing to happen on cruise as we were served by two of the best DR Stewards ever, Win and Sidi. They made every night a special event for us in so many ways. We can’t thank them enough and it seemed that every other table they looked after had the same feeling based upon our last night and talking to several of our fellow diners in that section. Dining Room food was absolutely excellent in every respect. My wife loves fish for every meal and she was very pleased with every meal. I love beef and the filet, prime rib and N.Y. sirloin were cooked to perfection, tender and tasty. Every meal was a 10++ and the food was complimented by excellent service by Win and Sidi. Maître D Karay checked on us every evening. Entertainment, or lack thereof, was a big disappointment especially after our previous cruise. Six person dance group were phenomenal supported by amazing audio visual backup. They performed twice and we enjoyed their talents. On the Wednesday Sea Day there was no show in the main theatre, no BB Kings Blues, nothing! Another night they showed a movie of Holland America history, sorry not interested and many others I talked to were also disappointed. Comedian and Illusionist each had separate shows then were teamed up for Friday but show started at 9:00 p.m. rather than regular 9:30 so missed that as you can’t attend with only an hour for dinner on a last night. I doubt we would have attended as neither of them were very entertaining. So out of 7 nights we only enjoyed 2 nights with the dancers. This really isn’t acceptable to us. BB Kings Blues 6 person band and 2 singers were excellent and I went to several shows. I spoke to Cruise Director Rachel about entertainment issues and it appeared that we likely weren’t alone in our criticism although she didn’t say that, only to voice our concerns. Ship was in excellent condition with nothing of note to criticize. All staff were absolutely amazing, hard to believe how they can operate at that level for 8 straight months. Microsoft Seminar I attended was spoiled by wonky WiFi. They should utilize a canned PowerPoint presentation as a backup in such cases as it appeared to be a regular problem. Enjoyed all the stops, Key West, Grand Turk, Amber Cove and Half Moon Cay. We did Self Assist Debarkation. It went smoothly but only 3 US Customs Officers seemed to be on duty which was insufficient IMHO and wait time was somewhat annoying but still okay. Park by Ports shuttle was at exit and we were at our car at 8:30 p.m. We booked on-board for same ship for next year at Thanksgiving on western Caribbean and hopefully entertainment will improve by then.

Almost Excellent but Entertainment Was Disappointing

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by Acedublb

• Sail Date: November 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Interior Stateroom

Ship was in excellent condition with nothing of note to criticize.

Enjoyed all the stops, Key West, Grand Turk, Amber Cove and Half Moon Cay.

Park by Ports shuttle was at exit and we were at our car at 8:30 p.m.

Acedublb’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam price drops

Interior Stateroom
Cabin J
Quite Satisfactory but disappointed no Love Seat, only desk and chair. Bed was very comfortable and cabin was quiet. Bathroom was excellent, everything provided and lots of hot water. Absolutely no odor of any kind. TV reception was excellent. Mini frig. First time using your room card to turn on power to room lights. USB ports on desk and each side of bed which was much better than our previous cruise, also more electrical receptacles as Westerdam was pathetic with only 1 plug.
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins