3. Harmony of the Seas
My husband and I thought that we would try something different this cruise and go Royal rather than our norm, which is Carnival. We have never had a bad cruise with Carnival, however, we didn’t see an itinerary that caught our eye during the vacation week that we had scheduled off for out of the port that we use. No biggie, we were all for trying something new! (Our mistake) Day 1 starting our voyage on Harmony of the Seas, embarkation was a breeze! Easiest check-in/boarding process I’ve ever had. Royal did not provide sign and sail cards until rooms were ready and they left them in an envelope outside your cabin. In the meantime, they provided a paper with a barcode you could use as a temporary sign and sail card for any purchases onboard the ship. We boarded the ship and had very minimal time before our cabin became available. We had a standard balcony cabin that was pretty much the same as all of our Carnival cabins. Our cabin had a “cooler” instead of a fridge. This is apparently a Royal thing. It was better than nothing, but a fridge would have been nicer. We purchased bottled waters for our cabin and they were “chilled” and that was about it when we took them out to drink. Next was the laundry fiasco! There was a paper bag left on our bed that had laundry service instructions. There was a promotion on the first day to get your clothes ironed for half price. Perfect we thought! I hate ironing! I packed as many clothes as I could into the bag as instructed and left for our room attendant. She informed us she would have our clothes back to us the following day, though the instructions stated it could be up to 48hrs before clothes are returned. We head to dinner where we are seated at a table for 6. We asked our waiter why we weren’t at a table for 2, he stated he’d have to speak with his manager. Luckily, no one else showed up. (We are all for table sharing at breakfast but not dinner and especially not after a long day of travel) I ordered chicken Marsala and my husband ordered prime rib and a baked potato. My food was edible. That’s where I will leave it. The presentation was not as expected. My husband’s steak was okay but he had to eat his baked potato plain because he was never offered butter nor sour cream as we watched the other waiters go from table to table serving it to their guests. Our waiter was inattentive. The dining room was bare, likely due to being the first night, so there’s no excuse that he was overwhelmed. The dining room manager came and told us that we had been assigned a new table for 2 in a different dining room for the remainder of the cruise. Let’s head into Day 2! We were excited for breakfast. Breakfast in the main dining room has always been a highlight of our cruises in the past. We made our way to the dining room for breakfast where we were shocked with how limited the menu was. However, it was a day at port so we had hopes that the sea day breakfast would be better. So, Perfect Day at Coco Cay! First time for us. It was okay. It was literally a water park and man made beaches! Nothing spectacular, but relaxing nevertheless. We beached for a while and had lunch that was provided at the park. I was impressed with the variety of food that was provided for lunch. We headed back to the ship for an afternoon nap before dinner. Luckily, we slept past our dinner time (5:00) because our laundry still hadn’t been dropped off so we had no clothes to wear to the main dining room. My husband had a few extra casual shirts that he was going to put on so we could go to the buffet. He proceeds out of our room with his shirt and asked staff in the hallway where he could find a laundry room to iron when he was informed that “Royal does not do that.” Note to future cruisers! Carnival, laundry rooms everywhere. Royal, pay for laundry service or go wrinkled. Had I known this, I would have paid to have all of our clothes ironed. Moving on, the buffet was great! Lots to choose from. Good service. Around 12:45am we were woke up by our drunk neighbor who in the moment we thought was in the hallway w/ his guests. They were being extremely loud and obnoxious. We could hear their entire conversation word for word. We ended up calling in a noise complaint after 20 minutes went by. Apparently security came and did not see anyone in the hallway so we then were called and security asked my husband to come out to the hallway where he was basically confronted about the people actually being in their room and not the hallway. We had no idea being woke up out of a dead sleep where the people were, it sounded like they were in bed with us. We were giving them the benefit of the doubt and thought that they were just locked out and waiting on someone to let them in. We have never experienced a “bad neighbor” on a cruise before. Security tells my husband there is nothing they can do when guests are inside their cabins and that, “Sir many people are still awake.” As we were approaching 1:30am at this point. Day 3 was a day at sea! Again, we were excited to get to the main dining room for sea day brunch! Only to find THE SAME EXACT MENU OFFERED AS THE DAY BEFORE! No specialties. 4-6 hot dishes. We were once again let down and ate in the WindJammer Buffet for breakfast for the rest of the week. Our room attendant saw us in the hallway and asked about the noise complaint the night before. No clue how she knew about it. So we told her that security was not helpful and that the noise continued until around 4:00am. She apologized and stated that she would be in contact with guest services. Surprisingly, later that evening she brought her manager and guest service supervisor to our room who were very nice and asked that we please let them know if the neighbor continues to be a disturbance because there was only to be 1 guest in that room so if he was bringing people in, they could put a stop to it. To make a long story short — we ended up downloading a noise app on our iPad and played it every night to get rest. There were a few nights that we weren’t bothered too bad, but we had a TERRIBLE neighbor. Days 4&5 we good days at port. We loved biking in San Juan and snorkeling in St Thomas. We thought we’d try our new dining room out since being reassigned seating. The service was better. The food was worse. I had ahi tuna that had an orange sauce over it that resembled baby food and tasted like carrots and cinnamon mixed together. It was terrible. I couldn’t even eat it. My husband had the New York Strip steak that he was pleased with. We made sure to have dinner off the ship in San Juan at the local Tatiana’s right at port. Some of the best fish tacos I’ve ever had! The only downfall to eating off the ship was that it left us with limited options for later. The buffet closed at 8:45pm EVERY NIGHT and the only other option after that was pizza on the promenade where most of the 6,200 guests would be for “night life.” In fact, every time we went down there we had to weave through chairs that people were sitting in lining the sides of the entire deck. They actually blocked off the entrance to the pizza place! It was not convenient at all! We stayed hungry after hours! Day 6&7 we knew we were in for it! 2 LONG days at sea! Days 6&7 at sea. We had a massage booked on day 6 in the spa. It was delightful. The staff was friendly! In fact, a lady that helped us actually told us that she had requested to be on Carnival and was put on Harmony. She told us that the staff was “serious and grumpy” on Harmony as we were telling her that we were not enjoying our time. She is trying to get back on Carnival ASAP she said. Our final evening we were in the hot tub and met a couple who cruise Royal frequently. They encouraged us to try a smaller ship w/ Royal. They felt like Harmony was an understaffed ship and that was why the service was not good. We continued to make small talk and I asked why Royal doesn’t make any towel animals in the rooms. The couple told us that they had received one EVERY NIGHT. They said that maybe our room attendant didn’t know how to make them, made sense. They then mentioned their room attendant’s name … SHE WAS OURS TOO!! THIS COUPLE WAS ONLY 3 ROOMS DOWN FROM US. We were never so disappointed. We will never cruise nor recommend Royal Caribbean to anyone in the future! We paid a lot of money for this trip and typically only take 1 big vacation a year … complete waste. Never ever have I been so disgusted with myself for paying money for the service that we received.

Worst Cruise EVER

Harmony of the Seas Cruise Review by kmlight

kmlight’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas price drops

Cabin was average! Disappointed with our room attendant. Not 1 towel animal all week while we ended up meeting a couple 3 rooms down from us who received one EVERY NIGHT by the same lady!! We never received tissues the whole week. We had a "cooler" instead of a fridge.
  Harmony of the Seas Deck Plans