3. Avalon Impression
This is my first river cruise so I don’t have a comparison with any other cruise line. I started with an optional 3 days in Prague where I had an excellent guide. In fact, on all the excursions I went on the local guides they use were excellent. I met the ship in Linz and embarkation went without a hitch. My cabin was comfortable and very clean. I was traveling by myself so can’t answer for the space available for two people. The ship was well kept and the overall cleanliness seemed high. Staff always seemed to be available to help or answer questions. Coming home was a real letdown as I couldn’t just walk down the hall and be served breakfast, lunch or dinner. Everything I had was excellent and they provided enough variety to satisfy almost any appetite. Several evenings we were provided with onboard entertainment from the local area. These were very enjoyable and gave a nice respite after a day of excursions. I chose this cruise because of the variety of activities they offered. There was a range of active, discovery or classic. I ended up taking quite a few walking tours along with several of the optional tours. I did a concert in Vienna and a Hungarian dinner and wine pairing. Again, both were well done. The only glitch, and this was no ones fault, is that we had to be bussed into Budapest rather than sail in. This was due to the river being too low for the boat to navigate past Slovakia. The captain was quite apologetic but it’s difficult to argue with nature. They handled the change very professionally and we didn’t miss out on any planned activities in Budapest. If I had it to do over again I probably would spend a little more time in Budapest. That’s just my impression. Overall, the experience was great and I certainly would use Avalon again. Probably a different route next time but I would have no hesitation signing up again.

River Cruise from Linz to Budapest