Myself and my travelling companion recently completed a cruise to Hawaii on the Eurodam (29 Sep - 15 Oct 2019). Our trip was the most disgusting travel experience we have ever had. Our confirmed request for a table for two in the Dining Room was a shared table for four. After a ten-minute argument with our waiter on the first night, 29 Sep, I was told that we would have a table for two for the night of 29 Sep but that I would have to confirm it for each use thereafter. This was not acceptable. I told him (waiter) that I had a confirmed reservation in writing and would accept no other eating arrangements. In short, I wanted nothing extra but only what I’d paid for. Our confirmed dining arrangements were only implemented after extensive argument with our waiter, a Dining Room front desk supervisor and finally a supervisor at Guest Services three days later. In total, I sent two meals back and complained about two others while eating in the Dining Room. A bowl of French Onion soup that was cold and worse had no onions was sent back and a steak that was served over cooked and tough was also sent back. The first and second meal complaints that were the final straws that caused us to decide to stop eating in the Dining Room and to take all of our remaining meals in the Lido Deck Cafeteria, that was when I was served Beef Wellington that had been contaminated with a 2 cm wooden twig that had an end sharp enough to pierce my gum. I reported this to my waiter who shrugged off my concerns and told me that the piece of wood was the spice saffron used in the preparation of my meal. I don’t believe that the contaminant (twig) was the spice saffron. The only thing I'm certain of is that the consumption of a meal should not cause you physical harm. My gum became inflamed after two days and I was forced to treat it topically with an antibiotic ointment that I had purchased at a CVS during one of our Hawaiian stops. The second meal complaint was from my companion (made by me to he Dining Room Maître D on her behalf) who had been served an overcooked and tough salmon steak. The Dining Room Maître D spoke with me two days prior to the end of our cruise to inquire as to why we had stopped eating in the Dining Room - once by phone and twice in person. During our final meeting, in the Lido Deck cafeteria, I showed him the contaminate and told him about the two times I had sent food back and my travelling companion’s complaint of an overcooked and tough salmon fillet she had had on the night I complained about the Beef Wellington contamination. She didn’t complain about her meal at the time it was served as she was concerned about us being labelled “complainers.” The Maître D attempted to enter into a process argument with me about who told what to whom. I would have none of it and told him that if the only complaint that he was aware of was the one concerning the French Onion soup, then he had an internal communication problem with his waiters: A problem which was not my responsibility to solve. I had issues with the quality and safety of the food served in the Eurodam Dinning Hall and promptly reported those concerns to my waiter. A simple purchase of some body lotion for my companion turned into a significant irritant. The purchase was made at the Spa on Deck 9 at a price of 49 USD. Upon leaving the spa desk area I was called back and told that the actual price was 42 USD. The clerk told me she had voided the 49 USD room charge and entered the new 42 USD cost. I asked her whether it would be advisable to have a posted price list for their products to assist passengers and staff in these purchases (something which they did not have). She made no response. Two days later I received a phone call at 8:30 a.m. from the spa telling me I had to go to Guest Services to sort out my body lotion purchase as they were unable to remove the original charge and enter the final charge to my account. I went to Guest Services at 9:00 a.m. on the same day and received nothing but blank looks and process arguments. I demanded to speak to the same Guest Services Supervisor I had spoken to before and once she was made available, I told her the problem and asked her to sort it out. Two days later, the correct charge of 42 dollars USD for the body lotion purchase had been posted to my account. Guest services was difficult to deal with. I had to continuously shut down spurious excuses: Dining Arrangements, "We have 3000 passengers so you'll just have to accept it."; Mold infested bathroom, "We have 3000 passengers and when we can get to you, we will”. The arrogant, condescending and cavalier attitude of your Guest Services is something I've never seen before in any of my travels. I have traveled all over the world both as a former soldier and as a retired vacationer. I have never had such a frustrating and disgusting travel experience. My final Account Statement showed a credit of $49.70 USD which has yet to be applied to my credit Card. I have no confidence that it ever will be.

Cruise from Hell

k8teybc’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Eurodam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VB
The initial occupation of our stateroom was not favorable. Our bed was not configured into two twin beds despite confirmation in writing that it would be. Three of four cabin USB ports were broken. These two issues were addressed/repaired after complaining to our cabin attendant. This resulted in a two-hour delay in the occupation of our stateroom.

Our cabin was filled with damaged and improperly repaired furniture (protruding screw heads from a poorly repaired side desk panel caused a 1 cm wound to my left wrist Figure 4), torn, peeling and filthy wall paper, loose ceiling panels that had been wedged into place by the insertion of crudely cut wooden wedges between the tops of the walls and the panels and most disgusting of all a bathroom that was filthy and mold infested. Guest services refused to change our cabin, stating there were no others available. On 1 Oct (day three of the cruise) the mold in our bathroom was re-mediated by it (mold) being painted over by maintenance staff. This remedial action was taken only after I told a Guest Services supervisor on 1 Oct, that I would go to the bridge and demand to speak with the Captain if the mold was not removed by 4:30 p.m. that day. The repairs to the desk side panel, after the initial repair of applying scotch tape over the protruding screw heads proved inadequate, also took 3 days to complete. All repairs done to our cabin were carried out without any notice to us. Thus, not providing us the opportunity to secure our valuables in our room safe prior to the repairs being carried out. As mentioned earlier, the mold was simply painted over and by the last day of the cruise had reappeared.
Rotterdam Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins