3. Norwegian Getaway
I don't know if NCL has a staff that actually read these review but if they do, I have some suggestions that may or may not be supported by other passengers. Everyone's experience is different on a ship and everyone has different tastes and interests so read reviews objectively. The Good: Embarkation and disembarkation. 15 minutes to first embark and 10 minutes to disembark and find luggage. The best I've experienced in 9 cruises. Movement and flow on the ship. Never felt crowded No up-selling for spa packages except on paper. I will address the paper issue later. Clearly marked signs even though everyone gets lost. Buffet set up is linear and that is good for flow. Most ships have a chaotic set up, people darting all over the place. This one was consistent and you knew where to go for all items. Food in buffet good to very good. Beverage service a little slow. Specialty dining excellent. Entertainment great and a variety of venues. Reservations confused some into thinking there was a charge. Ample washroom facilities. Customer service guest services very good. Cabin (inside) ample room and efficient storage. Light in the closet would be awesome. House wines offered were good. Lots of space and chairs on deck. (Don't know if this is true in the hotter destinations) I like the reservations for the entertainment. Saves you from rushing from dinner to line up for shows. I like the NCL phone App. I like the smaller included restaurants Taste and Savor, as it gives people who do not have a dining package the feeling of specialty dining even though the menus are the same. I like the touch screens around the ship for reservations. I never felt pressured to get my photos taken. Does anyone like the photography on board? The not so good Atrium is noisy and has little seating. Chaos from guest service line ups interfere with activities in the Atrium. Shopping-pathetic, and I can shop anywhere. The art auction and art. Who buys this stuff? Television- A Canadian channel would be nice. Lots of us cruise the Caribbean well as the Baltics. Temperature of food was inconsistent. Cold steaks and fries are never good. Invisible Captain- never saw him once. Okay,saw his picture. OMG! The Muster station drill.I wanted to jump off the ship. Took over 90 minutes, and one crew sent us to the opposite end of the ship. Good thing it was not sinking. Celebrity does it best. A lot of wasted space. Why not put activities in the Headliner room or Illusionarium as well as Atrium? I'll get to that in suggestions section. Wasted paper for advertising every night on your bed. To dress code or not to dress code? That is the question. People don't make an effort anymore and the dress code sign just annoys the people who have made an effort. Why I dressed up to eat next to flip flop muscle shirt guy, I'll never know. And how did he get the better table? The Suggestions for Norwegian Captain should make an effort to be more visible. Not just at parties for the higher level passengers. Better planned emergency days at sea. Open up more areas so that the Atrium is not purgatory at sea for both crew and passengers. Complimentary sparkling wine that I can't fit in the mini fridge makes no sense. As a returning passenger just let me choose between a bottle of red/white/rosé or beer. Make sure that all included restaurants have the same quality and are managed the same. Savor is managed much better than Taste or the staff is better trained. Food is cold in Taste, warm to hot in Savor. In the Buffet, Celebrity has a card system that shows the wait staff if a passenger has been served or not. There is a slot where the napkins and condiments are kept. Green means I need service, Red means I don't. The days events should be on the television in cabin and not just around the ship. That way I don't need the paper in my room. Why does the photo gallery print all the pictures? Why can't I just view them in my cabin and them decide what I want to purchase? All those printed pictures that people do not buy, where do they go? We have digital cameras now. Also, anyone can steal the photos from another binder and who gets charged? Get rid of photo studio and put more seating are better shopping in. Cruise ships should do more charity promotion. Make some the proceeds from my bingo card go to ocean protection or a charity that everyone would be fine with. I would probably play. Let me know that 1% of the overly priced Internet package was going to a charity in the various ports of call. I would be okay with that. Okay, the OMG Muster station drill. Most of the muster stations have televisions or screens. Celebrity shows the videos simultaneously on the various screens in the muster station with subtitles in three different languages. No televisions? Okay then go old school and say it in three languages. One Princess ship actually took us to our spot on deck so we could see our lifeboats and did the talk over the speaker in three languages.They lined us up as if we were going to board the lifeboats. This made it seem much more real. It started 10 minutes late. Does that make sense. Will a sinking ship wait ten minutes for people? If you're late, you get go to another presentation at an inconvenient time or fine the room. This is a safety issue. Be more helpful to people who have lost their luggage. This has happened to me in the past. The poor people from a flight from Chicago lost their luggage due to a baggage handler strike in Copenhagen. I don't think they ever saw their luggage until the return to Copenhagen. Norwegian offered nothing. Princess offered us a credit for the clothing shop and a tuxedo rental for the week for my husband, and a toiletries bag. On emergency sea days, up the staff to help with issues by opening up other areas of the ship. Put another guest services in the theatre or Bliss lounge. I hope this was helpful rather than just me ranting awake at 3 am because I am still on Baltic time.

Still Room for Improvement

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by mcfluffy

• Sail Date: September 2019
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Inside Stateroom

The Good:

Movement and flow on the ship. Never felt crowded

Clearly marked signs even though everyone gets lost.

Food in buffet good to very good. Beverage service a little slow.

Specialty dining excellent.

Ample washroom facilities.

Customer service guest services very good.

House wines offered were good.

I like the NCL phone App.

I like the touch screens around the ship for reservations.

The not so good

Shopping-pathetic, and I can shop anywhere.

The art auction and art. Who buys this stuff?

Temperature of food was inconsistent. Cold steaks and fries are never good.

Invisible Captain- never saw him once. Okay,saw his picture.

Wasted paper for advertising every night on your bed.

The Suggestions for Norwegian

mcfluffy’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Inside Stateroom
Cabin IF
Deck 5 was close to everything; guest services, dining, Atrium, shopping, and the theatre.
Our inside forward cabin in the 5100-5200 location was perfectly situated. Small but efficient use of space. A light in the closet would help greatly but there was plenty of room for two to store their things. Closet is a little small so travel with things that don't need hanging. Our cabin steward Wayan was excellent. Attentive but not lurking. Granted all 2 of our requests and was always cheerful despite a very difficult job. Unless there is a free upgrade, we always go inside cabin. We were concerned about the size when we saw it listed on the ship outline but it was more than enough space. Our hotel room in Copenhagen was the same size. Ha!
Deck 5 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Rostock (Warnemunde)
    Once we found the guide it was great. Not very clear as the instructions said meet 10 minutes after docking which was 7:30am so we went and found no one. Then someone not related to the tour company said it started at 9:30am. We returned at 9:00 am to find that the original tour guide was sick and they were scrambling to replace her. Finally got underway and the guide was great. Anna, was very knowledgeable of history and geography and economics and anything else you could think to ask. She was safe to ensure everyone made it on and off the train and the tram. I would have liked ear piece and microphone to hear better. This guide knew her stuff. She knew where to eat, where to find the items I was looking for, where to find public toilets. She was top notch. Highly recommend the tour but they need to make it clear where and when to meet.
    View All 13,014 Rostock (Warnemunde) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Rostock (Warnemunde) Cruise Port Review
  • St. Petersburg
    Ana, was incredible! So knowledgeable and funny. It's a very intense two days but she kept us interested and safe. We had earpieces thank goodness and she could communicate with us but not for more than ten metres so you had to stay close. The Catherine the Great Palace was not available to us even though we booked 4 months in advance so they added the Pavlosk Palace. Nice, Quieter than the Palace of Catherine the Great and when we visited the Hermitage we were happy to have avoided the large crowds at the Palace. We have visited Versaille and were told that the Catherine's Palace is even more opulent, but we did not feel short changed. The Faberge was beautiful. We were always first in line and never waited at the entrance. The boat cruise and the Peterhoff gardens were the high lite for me. The lunch on the first day was seriously lacking but Russia is not known for the cuisine. The second day's lunch was a 6/10 but the service was horrible. Totally recommend this tour. Brava, Ana!!!
    View All 13,014 St. Petersburg Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Petersburg Cruise Port Review
  • Old Town of Tallinn
    Cannot say enough about our guide, Eric. I think his name was. He was so interesting and informative about Estonia. Small group bus and walking tour. Incredible history to this small nation invaded numerous times. 5 hours went quickly. A little more free time in the main square would have been appreciated but it was crazy as there was a marathon going on and the roads were blocked off and we had to take alternate routes which may have hampered the time available. Really recommend this tour if you want to learn about the port of call.
    View All 172 Old Town of Tallinn Reviews