3. Independence of the Seas
This was our first ever cruise. We chose the cruise more for the ship than it’s destinations. On our arrival we were through check in and onto the ship in 10 minutes (although we did arrive an hour late on the coach due to traffic). The ship is big but I expected more things on it. Our inside cabin (1697 on deck 10) was small (2 adults and 1 teen) but adequate and quiet. We didn’t eat in the main restaurant as it was a set menu and our son is autistic so has issues with food. Instead we ate at the Windjammer buffet (and once at Johnny Rockets). We could not find any fault with the food or cleanliness. Before entering you are encouraged to wash your hands (by the singing washy washy men) and use antibacterial gel. Johnny Rockets charges $10 per person as a supplement but you can then order as much as you want from the menu, plus the food was nice. Our cruise was from Southampton to the Mediterranean and back so the first 3 days and last 2 days were not great weather. The rest were fantastic but with only 2 sea days we didn’t use much. We used the swimming pool just once but sunbathed a couple of times. The flowrider was always busy with good surfers hogging it. The skypad was fun but the VR was a little disorientating. We went to plenty of quizzes and won one. The entertainment was fantastic with several top artists flown in Darren Day, Steve Hewlett, Jamie Allen plus others. We also had a stage show of Grease which was good but I found very disjointed and not in the correct sequence. The shops were expensive although they had many sales later in the cruise. The Market had some allergy tablets costing $15 but you can get them in Poundland for.......£1. The service throughout the ship was second to none, in fact I honestly don’t think I saw or heard any miserable staff. I need to pay particular praise on our stateroom attendant, Lionel King. He couldn’t do enough for you, and his standards exceeded our expectations. He came in a cleaned up twice a day. We didn’t do any ship excursions as they were extremely expensive. Instead we simply did our own thing. Getting on/off in port was always really easy. Our son has autism and he enjoyed the cruise but didn’t do any teen clubs. He struggled a few days with food choices but was fine most days. He particularly enjoyed the hot chocolate from the Cafe Promenade. Afterwards he said he would like to do another cruise but in the Caribbean next time. We will definitely do another cruise but next time we will choose it for the destinations more than the ship. My only disappointment was the cost of the shops, laundry (although they do a deal for $35), premium restaurants and excursions. Finally we would not get the soda drinks package again as in our view it’s not value for money.

First timers but will be back

Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Basil4952

Ages 13 to 15
Get Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas price drops

Interior
Cabin 3V 1697
A small but adequate cabin. We had pullman beds which my son loved. Our main double bed was very comfortable and we slept fantastically every night. We had a tv with basic channels, a small sofa and small bathroom and shower but we were more than happy with it.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins