3. Norwegian Bliss
We are primarily NCL small ship lovers. But this was a planned cruise with extended family so we decided to try the newly launched Bliss which offered a larger variety of onboard activities for the various ages; Boomers, Millennials and children under 5. Getting to the pier was interesting, they had a Mother’s Day run event in Seattle and traffic was detoured. We left our hotel at around 9:00 am and while the sidewalks at the pier were a bit crowded - Embarking was fairly effortless after we checked our bags and obtained our boarding pass. Tip: If you fly Alaska Airlines, their new reusable plastic self-baggage sleeves will double to hold those colored Cruise Tags onto your luggage. Reduce waste and multi-use, yay! While some dinner and entertainment reservations were made on-line in advance, now was the time to fine tune our preferred times. We grabbed a booth in the Local on Deck seven, then over food and drink we coordinated schedules. One person can go in and make changes for your group. On day one the reservations can be made on Deck6. For entertainment bookings, including shows, race cars or laser tag, go to the Social on the port side. For dining reservations, they were done starboard at the Teppanyaki room. Just make sure your coordinator is armed with all the room numbers! We were able to book all of our preferred showtimes and dinning reservations. Once done, everyone dispersed to explore the ship and without planning to, we all ended up together on the pool deck for the sail-away party. Our group had three mini-suites, decks 14 and 15 and four of us had spa packages. Mandara Spa is large and very comfortable, what’s amazing is how small the locker rooms are compared to say NCL Star. I do miss having a steam room in the women’s locker room, on the Bliss they are all Coed. However the massage I had was heavenly and I enjoyed my time there. The shows were fantastic, we did Havana, Jersey Boys, Comedy and caught other acts at different venues. NCL shines with entertainment, they had something for everyone and performances were off the hook. On the last full day, they organized the kids and put on a show in the Bliss theater. Asking our granddaughter what she loved most about Alaska, it wasn’t the glacier, it was the kids club! Though her favorite shore excursion was the sled dogs and puppies in Skagway. The observation lounge was beautiful, and while the views are outstanding, seating was sometimes a problem when looking for chairs for more than two. I couldn’t imagen staying behind that glass when you tour Glacier Bay. The only place for me was to be outside where you can experience the true majesty of this incredible place, leave deck 16 and go to deck 8 aft for an incredible experience with nature. I do miss a promenade that encircles the ship, while the Bliss waterfront promenade is gorgeous, you will need to cross inside to complete your circle of the ship. I did enjoy the outdoor seating and heaters that were turned on for Glacier Bay. The only new dining venue we tried was the Q it had great BBQ, but was very dark inside. Service and food in all the dining we tried was excellent, the main dining rooms were very nice and we loved Manhattan. We did Cagney’s and Teppanyaki as a group, the chef at Teppanyaki was a blast, he was very entertaining and we interacted well together, singing songs and making jokes. I believe we created some table envy that night… Le Bistro seemed to have a smaller footprint, but the views were stunning. I would sail again on the Bliss, our family had a wonderful cruise experience. I love Alaska in May, if you can go before school gets out, the pool decks are less crazy and weather is very pleasant. Lastly, if you leave from the Port of Seattle and fly out of SeaTac you can use "Port Valet". This is a service where you can get your flight boarding passes on the ship and your luggage will be checked all the way from the ship to your destination. It's $5 per bag, in addition to your airlines baggage fee. There are no extra charges if your bag is over the 50lb limit and you don't need to pick them up, go through customs and recheck - your completely bag free! We enjoyed a nice breakfast, left the ship and walked downtown Seattle. Then for $3.00 ea - we took the light rail to the airport. We were reunited with our bags when we arrived home in San Francisco.

Excellent Ship, Fabulous Cruise

kats12’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Bliss price drops

Mid-ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MC
NCL is not known for having the most generous sized cabins in the mini-suite category. But the layout was sufficient with plenty of storage space and comfortable bed. The bathroom was very nice, including two large drawer storage areas under the sink. The bath does not have a full tub, but the additional water jets were a nice touch, we always had plenty of hot water. Enjoyed the USB outlets near the bed, and directional reading lights.

These cabins come in two configurations, our layout had you entering with bed first, then sofa area near the balcony. In this configuration the closet is very close to the bed, and can only accommodate only one person at the closet at a time. Our daughters cabin on Deck15 was the opposite layout, which did make closet access much easier. Even with the tight closet accommodation, I prefer the sofa area near the balcony.

One cabin suggestion to NCL - "PLEASE BRING BACK THE CURTAIN!"

This is sorely missed in your mini-suite and we hope you reinstate, the privacy it affords for the late sleeper / early riser is a fundamental necessity.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• White Pass Scenic Railway
    Nice excursion if only the train, but afterwards a bus took us to Liarsville for a Salmon bake, gold panning and show, all of those events we could have done without. Maybe good fun for the kids, but I would suggest taking a pass for adults only. Spend that time in town.
    View All 1,104 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews