3. Viking Sky
I really wanted to rate this cruise 1 star but I gave it 3 as I need to be honest about some things. We booked this cruise and cruise line for a variety of reasons but we both left wishing we had spent our 7,800 dollars elsewhere. We didn't mind that the ship spent the first night in Rome. We knew this when we booked it and we knew we would have to pay to go back in to Rome for another day of sightseeing. We also knew, before leaving that the ship had cancelled one of the ports due to it being high risk. But we thought the bonus of no under 18's and the other ports would make up for it. Pros: Comfortable cabins - we were in a Deluxe Verandah and it was like a fairly small hotel room. Small free soft drinks(mini) bar with 2 very small chocolates each day. Great cabin crew. Very good restaurant maitre'd. He remembered everyone's names. No children Well equipped fitness and spa centre and lovely spa staff. Beautifully furnished. Cons: A lot of rude old Americans (wheelie frame) old people (not even a thank you when holding the lift door open for them. No choice for the soft drinks in the bar fridge. Despite beautiful furnishings seats in public areas were not comfortable enough to curl up with a good book. The main pool is in an area where a lot of the passengers eat lunch. There is no privacy around it at all. You have to pay for any classes that are offered n the gym and in all honesty the young guy who took the floor pilates was not very experienced. Restaurants that serve the same food just in a different way. That is: served by a waiter or at a buffet. The Scandinavian offerings at Mamsens was really poor. Could only get your "all day coffee" at the buffet restaurant. Rude waiters who sneered when you did not have the "Silver Spirits package", which, by the way, you need to purchase for both people in the cabin, and in our case one of us does not drink. Waiters who spent all their time fawning over returning passengers and ignoring others. BTW not just us. Waiters who reeked of cigarette smoke. Please do not smoke in your uniform. Port cancellation due to 'bad weather'. However: according to any weather channel we checked there were no weather issues. Being told by the company (Viking) that we could take an individual tour of Algiers and by the Algerian embassy that we could also do this and then finding out 3 days from Algiers that we couldn't. I also only found this out because I went to take back my free tour tickets so someone else could have our spot on the free tour. The cruise services staff had the audacity to tell us that they only just heard this from the port authorities. FYI the other staff told us (and this is many of them) that when the ship has docked in Algiers all staff and passengers have had to go on an organised tour. I also rang the embassy back in Aus they said organized ship tours have always been the case when coming into Algiers by ship. Oh yes, I am very much aware they were still happy to sell us visas. So who is lining whose pockets. In this case no-one was willing to take responsibility, not even an apology. I had to be like a dog with a bone to get them to at least offer a tour as a consolation. They also emailed the representative in Aus to say we had refused to pay for another tour which was an outright lie. This same issue has happened before. I did my research before taking this trip and saw similar posts to this with the same issue. Sarcastic comments from the cruise services staff (Andrew) when I apologised for being upset and stating my partner prefers to walk away, his comment was 'well he's obviously travelled more". Not called for, he has no idea what I have or haven't done. The free organised tours are sitting on a bus driving around the city. No loud casinos but there were still a lot of loud drunk old people and no-where to relax without this unless you stayed in your cabin. My partner propsed to me the night we left Algiers, he asked the waiter to witness it. When he finished all the waiter said was "oh, congratulations" and he then walked off. Not even an offer to my partner of another drink. Flaming lousy. Pro/Con Stops every day. There is never a day at sea. For us this meant that you felt you had to go sightseeing, so one never really got to enjoy downtime on the ship. Not a problem if one has been to the ports previously. No loud casinos but there were still a lot of loud drunk old people and no-where to relax without this. The resident band were lovely and I know the entertainment was going to be minimal but they were either in the bar/lounge or they (same performers did an Abba and another performers show in the theatre. That was it for the 7 nights. For the money we spent, we could have stayed an extra 3 weeks in Stockholm. Never again.

Not worth the hype

Viking Sky Cruise Review by Sami by birth

Pros:

Small free soft drinks(mini) bar with 2 very small chocolates each day.

Great cabin crew.

Very good restaurant maitre'd. He remembered everyone's names.

No children

Well equipped fitness and spa centre and lovely spa staff.

Beautifully furnished.

Cons:

No choice for the soft drinks in the bar fridge.

The Scandinavian offerings at Mamsens was really poor.

Could only get your "all day coffee" at the buffet restaurant.

Waiters who reeked of cigarette smoke. Please do not smoke in your uniform.

The free organised tours are sitting on a bus driving around the city.

Pro/Con

Sami by birth’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Sky price drops

Small free soft drinks(mini) bar with 2 very small chocolates each day. However, no choice of soft drinks.
Great cabin crew.

• Algiers
    When we tried to book a tour they were already full. This is due to Viking having an opening date for bookings depending on your cabin type. We told by the company (Viking) that we could take an individual tour of Algiers and by the Algerian embassy that we could also do this so we obtained visas. We then found out 3 days from Algiers that we couldn't. I also only found this out because I went to take back my free tour tickets so someone else could have our spot on the free tour. The cruise services staff had the audacity to tell us that they only just heard this from the port authorities. No apology was provided and they were very dismissive staing that all they could do was waitlist us for a tour. FYI the other staff told us (and this is many of them) that it has always been the case that when the ship has docked in Algiers all staff and passengers have had to go on an organised tours. I also rang the embassy back in Aus they said organized ship tours have always been the case when coming into Algiers by ship. Oh yes, I am very much aware they were still happy to sell us visas. So who is lining whose pockets. In this case no-one was willing to take responsibility, not even an apology. I had to be like a dog with a bone to get them to at least offer a tour as a consolation. They also emailed the representative in Aus to say we had refused to pay for another tour which was an outright lie. This same issue has happened before. I did my research before taking this trip and saw similar posts to this with the same issue.
    The tour they ended up giving us was wonderful but I am glad I didn't have to pay the outrageous price. We went to Tipasa and our guide obviously loved history.
    View All 19 Algiers Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Algiers Cruise Port Review
  • National Archeological Museum
    Dropped off at the museum and left to our own devices. Walked back to the ship.
    View All 8 National Archeological Museum Reviews
  • Rome on Your Own
    Cost 95 dollars to be taken into Rome and dropped back off at the ship. However, the guide was great providing lots of info on the way.
    View All 159 Rome on Your Own Reviews
  • Valencia
    We took the free bus into the old town. Valencia is easy to do on your own.
    View All 299 Valencia Cruise Port Reviews