3. Pride of America
With no prior notice, NCL changed the itinerary for the trip changing the dates of 4 of our 6 ports and then ended up only going to 4 of the 6 ports; skipping both days in Maui. As frustrating as that is I'm a pretty hard person to frustrate and can handle change well. What made this cruise my worst ever was the ship itself. This ship was build in 2005 which is extremely misleading. It was originally started in the US and finished several years later in Germany but I think the company that was building it in the US was using plans from 1980 that they downloaded on the internet for free. The ship has no stabilizers. Two of our sale days were so bad the front of the ship would break out of the water and coming crashing back down so loud you thought the boat would break in half. In my cabin, I would almost come off the mattress as the ship would start to oscillate back down and I would get pressed down hard into the mattress as it would go back up; impossible to sleep. The rocking front to back and side to side in this ship is by far the worst I have ever experienced. I have been cruising for 21 years on over 25 ships and have only had this type of experience once back in 2000 on a 29,000 ton Holland American ship that was getting decommissioned shortly after my cruise. One of the days the ship decided we were going to stay at sea rather than go into port they said it was too windy and a rough sea. That day around 10 am or so one of the passengers needed their dialysis treatment so NCL tendered him into the port anyway. I went out to the deck and watch to see how that went. There was no wind and the waves were small (trust me I know small vs big waves). The tender went to shore and back with hardly any bobbing motions. This was a disgusting money grab by NCL to keep us all on board to enjoy another day of poor service. DO NOT SAIL THIS CRUISE until NCL replaces this ship or adds stabilizers to it. Cabin Our cabin was a 1990 styling; however, it was clean and in good shape. We did have one of the two closet doors falling off its hinges. We requested it to be repaired but by the end of the cruise, they had still not dealt with the broken door. Dining I tried the free dining at the Liberty restaurant the first two nights and felt forced to pay the additional money for the specialty dining for the rest of the cruise. Had several great meals at Cagneys and a really good one at Moderno's. I forget the Italian restaurants name, however, I had a really really overcooked steak there one night. It was so bad they didn't charge me for the meal without me even asking for them to take it off the bill. The mater d just walked past the table and saw the steak, so she stopped and asked about the meal and I commented on the steak. I told her I would deal with it but at the end of the meal when the bill came she had removed it without even being asked. It was bad to have my meal ruined but she dealt with it very professionally. Embarkation The embarkation was smooth. We left about two hours late; it would have been nice to be given an explanation but it was all good. Entertainment I love the gold rush saloon. I enjoyed the kareoke there most nights. That was the only bar with draft beer. Onboard Experience The onboard experience was not what you are used to on most NCL ships. Their fleet as a whole has nice ships with lots of things to do on them. Remember this ship was built with plans from the 80s and has nothing to do but shop. The layout of the top of the ship has no entertainment activities (pools and bars - that is it) and the rest of the ship only has bars or shops. If you ever cruised in the 90's you will know exactly what I'm talking about. This ship is truly an embarrassment to the NCL name. Public Rooms I enjoyed the theme of this ship. Everything is based on US history. The public areas are all well maintained and clean like you would expect by NCL. The problem is just the design of the ship; it can be clean and well maintained and still fall very short of your NCL expectations - that's what this ship is. Service I have cruised many many times and have found NCL, Holland America, Princess and Royal Carribean to all meet my need for service. That said this is an all American crew so, as you could guess, the service level isn't what you would expect. I still want to give credit to NCL for the best they could do with what they are working with. Value for the Money This is an expensive cruise because of the American crew. So the value for the money is just difficult to say. If you compare to any other cruise in the world you would say its expensive but you have to look at the huge cost of the American crew. For me, it was particularly bad because NCL skipped Maui altogether. Horrible value for my particular sailing. I think you know how horrible the experience this was. I feel the weather was a major issue however the second day at sea (the second day when we should have been in Maui) they could have easily tendered us to shore starting a little later in the day (say 10:00 am) and didn't bother. That was very bad treatment to us by NCL.

WORST CRUISE OF MY LIFE - this ship needs to be turned into a reef somewhere

Mark smile’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian (NCL) Pride of America price drops

Inside
Cabin IB 11017
Cabin had a very dated feel (like 1995 feeling). Had a broken closet door that I bought to the room steward attention but was never fixed during my sailing.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins