Vision of the Seas Cruise Review

Vision of the Seas Cruise Review by gardengal68

• Sail Date: Feb 2019
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View

We chose this cruise for two reasons. We wanted to visit New Orleans and the price was phenomenal! Embarkation was fast and easy, being the only ship in town that day. I agree that the ship is a bit dated and has a few maintenance issues. This was obvious in a few areas such as the public restrooms where toilet paper holders were broken or sinks did not work. There were also a few areas where cracks in flooring could be seen or furniture in the lounges that had cushions needing repaired or replaced. These were certainly small issues and did not affect our enjoyment of the cruise. The staff was wonderful and My Time Dining service was fabulous. I must give a shout out to Moti and Keem who were the best wait staff we have had in some time. The Windjammer was another story. The staff were fine and worked very hard, and to be fair, we only ate there for lunch on embarkation day, one supper, and breakfast on debarkation day. The entrance was difficult as there is a buffet bar right as you walk in. This caused such congestion! Also, it seemed whatever I needed was empty and waiting replacement...half/half for the coffee, butter for toast, etc. I found the Windjammer to be a complete zoo and the nickname given to it by the staff, "Mouthjammer" was appropriate. The food was mediocre at best. We much preferred the dining room. The activities were fantastic and the staff obviously put their all into them. We enjoyed the shore excursions and were thrilled to be a part of RCI's first visit to the Banana Coast, Trujillo, Honduras. We did the Best of Trujillo tour which included a tour of the town in a very small, hot bus.

Everyone had a good attitude, though, and it was fine. It also included a tram tour of Campo Del Mar Nature Reserve, lunch buffet and beach time. There were two lovely pools and the beach was wonderful. Our tour guide kept a close watch on us and made us feel safe. The tenders were a challenge, as 2 of the 4 tenders had difficulty that put them out of service so the queue to return to the ship was long and hot. The locals there were so welcoming and happy to see us. They are working hard to boost their economy with tourism and get so few ships-only 2 in the month of February. Entertainment on the VOS was fine. We loved the comedians and the Rockstar Juggler. I was bored with the production shows and would like to see more variety in entertainment. Overall, it was just a great vacation. We would certainly recommend it. Every cruise is what you make it and we loved it!

gardengal68's Full Rating Summary

Ocean View
Cabin 2N 2048

Cabin was fine, clean and very quiet. We had plenty of space and the bed, while very firm, was comfortable. Everything was in working order. We had the clingy shower curtain that had to be fought with, but the shower was hot and water pressure fabulous! I only wish we had a fridge. My cabin steward provided ice for my wine twice a day.

City Tour

We chose this tour as a supplement to the three days we spent in NOLA prior to the cruise since it included airport drop off that fit our flight schedule. Our tour guide Wolf was phenomenal! What a wealth of information and so easy to listen to! We enjoyed the stop at City Park where we got some last minute souvenirs and the walking tour of the cemetery. I also loved seeing the Garden District and gaining a small understanding of the ongoing efforts to recover from Katrina. Drop off at the airport was right on time and easy.

View All 53 City Tour Reviews
Mayan Ruins

We did the Legacy of the Maya, San Gervacio Ruins and Chocolate Factory. We really enjoyed this tour, but our guide was a bit long winded and we ended up standing for long periods of time before moving on. The 3 1/2 hour tour took 4 1/2 and we were too tired to go to the beach in the afternoon. The chocolate tour was great! I had the best chocolate pina colada ever!

View All 425 Mayan Ruins Reviews
Best of Trujillo

Unique and thoroughly enjoyed!

View All 3 Best of Trujillo Reviews
Costa Maya

We just spent time in the port shopping, getting a fish "pedicure," and sitting by the ocean eating chips and guacamole. Being the third port in a row, we just wanted to relax. We enjoyed watching people participating in Swimming With Dolphins excursion. I must say that is probably one of the longest piers we have walked to get into the port.

gardengal68