My boyfriend and I went on the msc cruise last January. It was an overall lovely experience but the negative parts of the trip had an effect on the overall enjoyment of the trip.
- Cabin: our cabin faced the sea and was beautiful. Clean and neat. Personally the best part of the trip.
- Room service: the breakfast options were very good and enjoyable.
- Buffett: the Buffett's offered many different foods, lovely set up. Assistance was good. variety could be improved.
- Restaurants: loved the pizza availability (more toppings would be great) breakfasts on the deck were also lovely.
- On board experience: beautiful views and place to relax (but this is a given with any ship)
Onboard shopping: wide variety but very expensive (as expected)
- staff: staff in restaurants were very friendly. Reception and desk staff were not as friendly.
Cinema: the cinema screened a spectacular whale documentary on an HD screen. This was a calming and beautiful space/ area on the ship
Photo prices: absolutely ridiculous. It is really exploitation to expect -+ $40 / over R500 for one picture on top of ticket prices. This should be changed.
Staff: the lines were extremely long because there was not enough staff. In most cases 2 people to serving lines of +30 people.
Restaurant: the restaurant would not serve plain water in a glass for free. This was ridiculous.
Entertainment: Wow, I was expecting opera, small orchestra or a ballet performance as other ships uphold a high standard when it comes to performances and on board entertainment. Very shocked. I was extremely disappointed in the 'theatre', I have been involved in theatre for most of my life and have never walked out of a show before I did on the msc, the dance and singing performance was sleazy, inappropriate for family (many young children were in the theatre and families), extremely uncomfortable to watch, because the beautiful ship theatre turned into a stripper show at a cheap strip club. Very low class and many walked out of the theatre. It left a bitter taste in ones mouth. That is definitely not theatre and should not be advertised as theatre or family entertainment. People don't pay for a luxury cruise experience, to be shown a strip show.To my knowledge, as of July 2018, this entertainment had not changed.
Hopefully some serious changes can be made. I always hesitate when people ask if I would recommend the trip. I think it was a nice experience for one time but not anything striking enough to return.
I loved the cruise experience, looking out on the ocean and being at sea with a loved one, but any boat cruise can offer that.