3. MSC Divina
We boarded MSC Divina on 30 December for a cruise around the Caribbean and Central America, the embarkation and disembarkation procedures were fabulous, we were on board within 17 minutes of arriving at the port. However, it stopped there! On our first night we had been allocated to the first sitting in the Black Crab restaurant on deck six. We ordered our evening meal and advised the waiting staff that we expected hot food and hot plates. Sadly this was not the case. Husband ordered French Onion soup, if that French Onion soup had even seen an onion we would have been surprised, it was not of a consomme type, indeed it had cream in it or even cornflour to thicken it up, it was disgusting. On New Years' Eve, we had a "special menu"! My husband ordered duck and I ordered the surf and turf, quite frankly it was inedible, my steak tasted of the fish and husband refused to eat the duck which was well overcooked. We left the restaurant immediately and did not return. Sadly this was indicative of the standard of food on the ship, which was never hot, never served on warm plates and for the most part inedible! Of more concern was the lack of hygiene in the restaurants and buffet, there was absolutely no monitoring of hygiene in the restaurants and at some entry points there were no facilities for hand hygiene. Where there were gel machines, these inevitably were empty. Even after we had complained about this nothing was done, quite shameful really when you think of the number of passengers on the ship and the possibility of a noro virus outbreak. Whilst on the ship I caught a cold, (I am convinced this was because of the appallingly poor hygiene standards) and tried to cancel my excursion which was due to take place in Colombia the next day. The excursion staff advised my husband, very rudely that I could not cancel without a medical certificate from the ship's doctor which would cost $95 - the trip itself cost $88 so I wasn't likely to pay more. He asked them whether they would rather I stayed in my cabin and kept the cold to myself or, as it would appear they would prefer i carried on the with excursion and infected the whole ship and anyone else I came into contact with. They, apparently just shrugged their shoulders in a "don't care" attitude, this was quite indicative of the senior staff on the ship. My excursion was eventually refunded but husband was expected to attend. A word of warning - if you have booked onto Divina as a "Bella" passenger be very careful when using room service - you will be charged a delivery fee of $3.50 every time you use room service - this is not the case if you are a "Fantastica" or "Aurea" passenger, a clear case of discrimination I believe. We were accommodated in cabin 13230 at the very back of the ship, in what was a balcony cabin... however because of the overhang at the back of the ship we got very little sun and the balcony was so small, we had to turn the chairs to the side to sit on them, we were not told about this and it was a huge disappointment. The cabin itself was comfortable although we did experience some "movement" on at sea days and during the night. We did not visit the theatre at all as the only show we wanted to see came on when I was unwell. The lack of communication on the ship is apparent, the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. We were invited to a cocktail party at which the captain was to attend, this invitation came because "we had already booked a further cruise with MSC", we hadn't (they wish) and would never do so, needless to say we didn't attend. The ports were very enjoyable, particularly Costa Maya and Cozumel but the excursions are very expensive for what they are and it is quite easy to buy cheaper excursions off ship. All in all this was a cruise of two halves, particularly disappointing was the catering, the crew, particularly in the Silver Bar were fantastic fun and the bar staff and waitresses here helped make our holiday worthwhile. All in all, I wouldn't book with MSC again, they really need to get the food issues sorted and start catering for all nationalities rather than the USA and Italian markets.

Don't even consider this company if you want to eat hot food!

MSC Divina Cruise Review by Grumpynanna

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Bella Balcony Stateroom

Grumpynanna’s Full Rating Summary
Get MSC Divina price drops

Bella Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B1 13230
Functional with a good wardrobe and comfortable bed. However if you are expecting to be able to sit out on the balcony you will be disappointed. There are no tea and coffee making facilities in staterooms although there are facilities for beverages in the buffet 24 hours a day, there is no guarantee though that there will be hot water! Showering facilities were functional with shampoo and body gel provided, there is also a hairdryer.
Cupido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins