3. Norwegian Epic
This was a last minute vacation cruise, we live in the outskirts of Orlando and thought to tring to go out for first time out of nearby Port Canaveral. We chose this trip because of the price to visit 7 destinations in 11 days! Also thinking it was a "bigger" ship it would be even better! But it all started off the wrong foot with too many people so there were long lines in the morning to board and then didn't get luggage until 5-6pm others got it at 9. I missed 1x activities held that day, that I was REALLY looking forward to and not being able to get in my room but once able to, the itinerary was not left there and I didn’t want to waste time making lines in customer service to get it, so I missed it... The most EPIC feature is the jerking bed at night, you can’t sleep, it actually wakes you up, my husband CAN sleep through anything but not this! This cruise is only my 4th and I’m familiar to a soft rocking motion on the other ships. I look forward to it at night to sleep but on the Epic, this is quite different, in my husband’s opinion, it’s because it going too fast at night and it actually feels like a hard shaking of the bed, if someone is trying to get you up until mission accomplished! This is very important to us as resting is the main reason to getaway so simple as it seems, to us, having a good night's sleep would be a priority on our vacation. The last couple of "sea" days, the jerking was hardly felt, we think, it’s because they were able to take their time back home. We only wonder how much of this long term aggravation can cause a BIG ship handle without eventually harming any of its structures?! We were on middle side location of the ship #12194 and my son at the AFT deck 11? Who missed a lot of activities as to sleeping it off everytime the ship started to rock being he has sea sickness issues but I chose this “bigger” ship being he didn’t do too bad in the other smaller ships and I was told “bigger” ships would be better for sea sickness. So expecting it to be an even a better experience for him, it was NOT the case, I also chose for him the AFT section for the same reason but in comparison he did much better in the smaller ship. But again the question is was it because this ship was just going faster than it should be because it was an 11 day cruise compared to the smaller ship or of a 7 day cruise? I don’t want to blame the weather because we had great weather except for waves at Costa Maya! First port day came back on ship early, to find brown water coming out of shower. Others complained in the hallway not having "any" water, it seems there was pipe maintenance being done but I have read about this in older posts happening. I don’t understand why if this is a “common” procedure to do on the ships, that by now, they should know we’d appreciate to be given at least notice, so we know “when” to schedule our showers before or after or as housekeeping staff told me, to then just let the water run, until it’s cleared. Wouldn’t that be better than to make us think and take for granted we’re bathing in clean water and half way find out, that it’s dirty water or worse drinking that water from the sink!? The first days it was impossible to get through housekeeping by “phone”, it would go to automation saying they’re busy with other guests and after a couple of days of that. I just got use to contacting them faster by opening my door and calling out to them in the hallway and as busy as they were in a timely manner they did resolve all our issues (not that we had many). But I mention this because a phone call takes away the embarrassment of the day needing to contact them about the brown water, when realizing, it’s your only option, other than using clean towels to dry off brown water and/or getting back dressed with dirty clothes… My husband looking forward the game to watch on the H2O screen was not only disappointed with seeing some areas with dead pixels but missed the beginning of the NFL St Louis vs Cowboys after sitting for 45min at the H20 due to technical issues with receiving satellite feed but it eventually came on when score was 3-0. We noticed stained napkins in the Buffet, though cleaned but on the other hand, we didn’t notice at the Restaurants. We also wondered why dress code for men is no shorts but women are allowed, on a “freestyle” cruise in the Restaurants? My husband and son were addressed and had to go back and change, so were other guests. Garden Cafe Buffet was not as good as the Getaway, now don’t get me wrong, overall experience was a GOOD one but I just felt again, for a “bigger“ ship more stations especially omelet stations should have been opened, there was one that would open later than the others. I just expected a better quality and variety of food served in comparison to a smaller shorter ship cruise I was on before and disappointed to find it a little less than the smaller cruise ship. You can always find something fast and good on the Buffet but on the other hand, the Restaurants had a better quality food but the wait time the first days was close to 2 hours and after that at least an hour. Restaurant Taste was very disappointing waiting over an hour and it came cold or over cooked the same with Manhattan but I found the food somewhat better in Manhattan. It seems the ship had a lot of new people as I observed them being taught which we think didn't help the situation and probably understaffed, making the long wait. Even my own housekeeper, told me he just started to work there... Our inside room TV isn't only small but all of a sudden you sometimes you can't see it because of angle shadow that sometimes randomly appeared or you can't hear sound on some of the other channels. I guess I became jealous of my son’s much bigger TV in a “studio”. The studios have a private key entrance hallway only accessible to studio guests which we could not enter to visit our son whenever we'd wanted (maybe happy for him). We saw No Smoking signs on table casinos when not operating but when playing there weren’t any signs and people were smoking but as I know this is normal for that area which I hope one day they’ll change that… The complimentary shows were ALL very good! Seeing before “Burn the Floor” on the other ship, I thought it was so exceptional, as to wanting to see it again and so glad I did because I didn’t know they “change” it up which I’d say was even better! I also saw the Beatles, a look alike group making you just feel, you’re at a one of their live concerts and I just love singing along to the songs. I didn’t get to see Priscilla, and I saw the singer, Romano, has a very passionate opera voice who sang mostly in Italian and though I didn't understand the words you could still appreciate the feeling he conveyed. We paid for the Cirque Dinner show, the dinner wasn't that great but the show certainly made up for where the dinner lacked, it was really worth it! The guests sitting next to us on balcony didn’t even get to have their bread served. The show also was good enough to overshadow the worst feelings before entering that after waiting so long for everybody to get in, we were first in line as standby and interested in premium seating, we saw a couple behind us, somehow getting in without paying, having first floor sitting right in front of the piano! So close that they were picked again from stage to participate. They were on “standby” behind us (and they got in without paying because standby are LAST to pay)! We didn’t say anything because this is a cruise where we will still be forced to see each other and we didn’t want this to ruin it. They were also very well-known being participants on one of the earlier main shows, that was being constantly looped in your cabin TV. So we only decided to say something, if after such a long wait, that if there wouldn’t be any premium seats available, to then question their seating because that wouldn’t make it fair to us… I mention it now because I believe security is then lacking in this area, if they found a way to get in without paying. How many others will do the same or did they pay someone on the inside to get in? Making it unjustified, for those who are not only willing to PAY but to wait and make lines. When I got there ‘nobody” was on either lines (premium and basic). Knowing, it was a sold out show, I went early to be first on “standby” line for any available premium seating and it was way after both lines forming, that they came in as standby behind us. After recognizing them, we actually to kill time, were laughing about their earlier participation in the TV show. When he all of a sudden excuses himself and after a while, I see him come out of the theater, to tell his wife behind us, to leave with him and again both excuse themselves and disappear, to then see them inside the theater when we entered! This really bothered us during the whole dinner event but once the show was over, we were over it too, the show was that amazing! I did find it unusual for them to perform in such a confined area but it actually added to the challenge of pulling it off! It’s almost like the feeling of how many clowns fit in a small car, you think you can’t see anymore come out but they keep coming out and so you think they can’t do anything more in such a confined area when they defy it and go beyond! Stirrup was a bit challenging to snorkel, it was my first time there... Because of currents, the water was not very clear but if you swim out after buoy you'll find cement made turtles and a welcome to stirrup stone on bottom of sand floor where most of the fishes are seen. The buoy is held down by a big anchor which I overlooked when swimming looking for the ground ornaments (ask lifeguard where they're located) it's where some fish also gather. Plenty of lounge chairs to choose from and shady areas, BBQ was included and the ribs were the best! It was a very relaxing beach day and I found areas groomed and clean, they also have a small market area and an interesting tour offered there of Swimming with the Pigs! Jamaica tour with ultimate excursions, you can reach out to them and mention if you get a 10-12 ppl if they can give you a group rate of $30pp, it's what I chose called Freestyle Montego highlights, Including an hour and a half at Dr Cave beach was amazing clear still waters for snorkeling, sightsee hip strip and short visit to Margaritaville, a drive through town and stopped for quick authentic bite to eat (price not included). Cayman island by tenders. Went to Smith Cove, like 10min away, we went first thing in the morning and there was only one other family there as mid day approached more people started to come and then we left. This is just a small beach cove has clean bathrooms and semi outside private showers, shady picnic tables, loose chickens, they offer sup boards, snorkeling is great and used their public bus transportation (9-10 passenger vans $2.50pp ea way, in town). Lots of Tour offers at port to choose from ranging from $25-$50 taking you to at least 4 different places but I wasn't prepared as to know which to choose without knowing their reviews. I have read some reviews where they came off the ship and YES, you're bombarded with tour excursions at really great deals! But if you don't know anything about them or reviews, I've read previous reviews one stating they took them to 4 different places where they were supposed end at 7 mile beach, they were already a little annoyed at driver wasting time in small talk with others when they could be moving on and when dropping them at last stop, the beach, they told them that a ride back to port was not included, so they had to walk back or get and pay other transport... so you need to beware of the reputation these excursions have when choosing independent tours. Harvest Caye, we took ferry to Placencia (15min ride/ $20 RT pp). Bought the tickets on ship and was told it would leave 8:30 and to get there 15 min before (got there at few minutes before 8:15) turns out, after rushing to get there, we were then told at ferry dock, that it leaves at 9, they fortunately have shaded wooden benches we chose to sit and wait as we catched our breath! Once packed in this ferry boat, it wasn't long we arrived in Placencia and walked maybe 5 min down the main street to rent a golf cart for 2 hours at $25 from Barefoot rentals. I enjoyed the airy ride. We were just a little concerned about not having a horn but there's hardly no traffic. It's such a small quaint town, I would think I would have enjoyed better to have "walked" the side walk, checking out the small businesses of crafts, arts, along the way and food sold by local vendors, with the beach right next to it would have liked to stopped to enjoy a stay at the beach. Instead we ended stopping at a place to eat and shared a well size serving of their rice and beans made with coconut milk, BBQ chicken, and potato salad for $5 and we had each for $1.50 fresh watermelon juice YUM. The ferry according to the time you leave, for 9am, they gave us, a couple of set times to get back, 11:30 and then the last at 3:15 (no other hours in between) we were ready to get back at 1pm well they have you wear a color coded bracelet, to correspond with a time to return. Since 1pm didn't apply to our color, we were to wait for those to board and if any space left for us then they will take us, it looked like a full boat but a kind couple offered to ask, if they could trade with us being they wanted to stay up to 3:15 and so that's how we were able to get back at 1pm. Costa Maya, we've been here 2x before and loved going to Nacional or Carribean Life right next to each other in Mahawal but because the water was so rough, we were just walking around undecided, if to go or not. So we stopped right outside the gates, in a new establishment for ice cream, that was all organic and had unusual flavors of also natural drinks so after that, save on the Taxi fare and going to eat being the beach was rough so we decided to put it towards some T shirts instead and get back on the ship for food already paid for... But I was sad because it was the place I usually go for my $25 hour massage but the beach was just not justifying the means of going for everybody else so I missed that! Roatan we did free style excursion with Rony's Tours (driver Edwin &Tia guide) at a group rate of $25pp (4+ is group rate) excellent driving skills and the van very clean with AC. Tia also did a great job of sharing area and history, they never were in a hurry and went at our pace. Did free chocolate & Rum cake & Rum tours (with free samples). We went to Manawaki Park, after a brief interesting overview of different plant's medicinal properties and other native fruits, we were taken inside Poncho the monkey's habitat/cage who had a field day jumping on all of us! The highlight was holding a sloth! It only got better when ending it with a few hours at the beach where I found, the snorkeling, beyond my expectations at AI Infinity at West Bay beach. The beach is public, so it was free but if you want to use lounge chairs, bathrooms, pool and their facilities it's $25pp (this is to the left of Bananarama, others from the group stayed at Bananarama for $10pp to use their facilities but doesn't have a pool). When putting down our beach blanket by the lounge chairs the guard brought it to our attention, that we had to move it further up because it was within Infinity's area. We did all this from about 9am-2:30 and at a very casual pace, with time left over to enjoy the port shops before boarding the ship! Roatan, defenitely was the highlight of our entire cruise! Cozumel, we shared Taxi expense $18 one way to Mr Sanchos, (All Inclusive $50pp). It was 3 of us in our family and one other cruise critic member (so we split the Taxi fare in half). The food was really good, highly recommend the fried whole fish and the fish ceviche. The drinks, I don't think are top quality because for someone that doesn't drink, I didn't even get a buzz and glad about it because I would have had to stop (I'm not into getting drunk). Try their mojito, it's not on the menu because they don't have mint (they don't call it mojito either, it's a weird name they call it by). They have lockers at an additional refundable fee. The bathrooms were very clean and areas. I was disappointed with the beach water not being clear with waves, they say this is not the norm. The service from Julio was excellent, not constantly around but enough to keep us content, I did ask for a ceviche before leaving and I guess he forgot but it wasn't because I was hungry so I didn't make a big deal of it... But everytime at Cozumel it was the best deals, I was looking for 2 hammocks, the ones with wood at the ends at Roatan they wanted $160 for one, then at one of the shops at Sanchos, they wanted $80 but when I told them I'd have to get my husband, I went to the other shop across them, that also had hammocks and told them that I already got a quote of $80 for one and he went to ask someone and returned to offer it at $80 for 2!!! So you know who walked out with 2 hammocks?!! I don’t think I would choose this ship again, unless under different circumstances. Like if I begin to see better reviews that’s there’s more staff and maybe if I see 11 day cruises having sea days in between where maybe they’re not traveling so fast over night to the next day destination. Otherwise, I will continue to choose smaller ships where I feel there is a better over all service and quality but maybe less aggressive rocking? I’d also like to add, that I also did leave a comment to the Hotel Director, Mr. Martins, of my concerns and he was “really” accessible by leaving me a message on my phone and following up with a kind letter and trying to make it right. He wanted to even meet with him but I just wanted to spend my vacation on moving on and enjoying what I "can" enjoy. I didn’t want to continue taking away time from it with meeting him, knowing he must be so busy dealing with so many other more important things but thought I mention this because I found it refreshing to find him very accessible, if need be and for him to go out of his way to address any issue we had made us feel important even though we weren't even staying at the Haven, I truly appreciated his attention! I will end my review of the EPIC with “bigger isn’t always better” though my over all experience was a GOOD one, not all bad, we just personally have had a better experience with less is a little more...

BIGGER ISN'T ALWAYS BETTER

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by nildib

nildib’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Epic price drops

Mid-Ship Inside
Cabin IA 12194
The inside CABIN, I was very pleased with all the extra drawers, even a hamper, and the closet seemed bigger with compartments. The biggest down side, was that I thought it didn't have a fridge, thinking the glass door where the liquor was locked, since we didn't care for liquor I didn't give it anymore attention until my husband opened the door the last days and I put my hand in it and it was cold so there was the fridge all along! The dim lighting didn't help to see it better...

The bathroom, set up was European style, with a private toilet on one side and private shower on the other, both having sliding doors with an an opening that can make it a challenge for heavy set people to get in. I felt, having it separated was very convenient for obvious reasons and got use to it right away but my husband was not happy at all with it, feeling confined, I also enjoyed the hand held shower head having 2 levels of rest areas for it was another convenience.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins