3. Ruby Princess
We sailed on Ruby Princess during Thanksgiving week 2018. Ports of call were Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta. Weather was nice and warm other than the first and last sea days which were noticeably cooler. We reserved a balcony cabin on Caribe deck 10, had very large balconies compared to higher decks. Steward Ryan was very nice and helpful, he obtained synthetic pillows for me since I had a feather allergy. Rooms were spacious with plenty of storage and a refrigerator. Ice bucket in the fridge was refilled daily. I found the shampoo/conditioner combo in the shower was better than what's supplied in many hotels. Shower gel is also supplied and a tube of lotion. Beds were very comfortable. TV's were very large with lots of programs and movies on demand. Hubbie brought his own water kettle with auto-shutoff feature to make his coffee, and it was not confiscated, but we always unplugged it and put it away after use. Ships other areas were very clean. Service was generally very friendly all around the ship, perhaps a few that were too busy to take note of needs without being flagged down, but no apathy or rudeness was experienced. Heard complaints of excessive sales, but was never directly approached by anyone other than the photographer and my massage therapist, who were not overly pushy, just offering opportunities. There is a also free 30 minute stretch class also on the first and last sea day and the instructor took the first 15 minutes as an opportunity to try and sell Good Feet insoles. I was curious and so this didn't bother me too much either. However the princess patter seemed to have a huge number of items listed that I suspect were "sales oriented", and we just avoided attending those events. Food on board was very good. While I didn't have any particular food or meal that was mind blowing (we've been around the block a bit in the food world), we enjoyed all that we ate. The duck was delicious, I was even pleased by the turkey served on Thanksgiving which I assumed would be dry and tasteless. I think they brined it. In general the food is underseasoned, but with good reason as to not harm anyone's health, there are always saltshakers on the tables. We ate at the Salty dog the first night and the dishes were creative and tasty. Some descriptions were unclear though, so make sure to talk them over with the server to avoid disappointment. Pub lunch on the first sea day offered many British dishes were were not familiar with. I should have tried the steak and kidney pie, but was craving fish and chips. Share was good and creative, but not mind blowing for us. Liked that they had a vegetarian 6 course option and liked that their wine list was different than the main dining room, and the quieter atmosphere than the main dining room. Tea time at 3PM in the dining room had lots of tasty sandwiches, scones and deserts, a full meal actually. Wish there were more entre options at breakfast in the dining room, so we more often preferred the buffet for breakfast. We never ate in the buffet for lunch or dinner so can't comment on the quality of that. Don't love the hectic nature of the buffet much. Food at the international cafe in the piazza was really good, best salad dishes of the cruise and changed daily. My one and only pet peeve about the cruise was the super tiny wine glasses. Even in Share, they served the wine in a more delectable thinner rimmed glass, but it was still so small it didn't allow for aeration unless they only put 3 oz of wine in it (which is what they did when I ordered a glass of Chardonnay, and never got the other 2 oz of wine.). Vines has some proper bordeaux glasses (Reidel), and even let us use a couple for a special bottle we brought on board, but we had to leave the glasses with them and could not take them into the dining room. To compensate for this issue we started telling the wait staff we'd like to use the water glasses as our wine glasses ( as they had a little larger bowl), once our waiter disappeared and showed up with the glasses used in Share, and another time they showed up with the glasses from vines, though it was Thanksgiving that night and they may have been going out of their way to make the holiday special as we didn't get charged corkage that night either. Entertainment was generally very good. All the bands and singers were good to great in quality. Love Boat Disco deck party was fun. We only saw two of the production shows, but enjoyed them. Didn't love the guest comedian, but I may be more easily offended than some people. Gameshow type events were pretty fun to watch, including the Voice of the Ocean on the last night. I would like more musical acts during the day rather than just clustered in the evening. Ports- Puerto Vallarta was the most interesting and enjoyable for strolling around in our opinion. This was our first visit to any of these cities, so I'll leave advice on ports and excursions to those who are repeaters (and there were many repeaters on our cruise). If we ever do go again, we'd probably book excursions in all of them rather than city exploration now that we've seen them each.

Good value for quality

Ruby Princess Cruise Review by kellig

kellig’s Full Rating Summary
Get Ruby Princess price drops

• Snorkeling
    Friendly team operating the catamaran for the Chileno Bay Snorkeling trip. Some larger fish, not the best visibility and limited coral. 45 minutes in the water max. Enjoyable boat ride past the arch and along the coast.
    View All 62 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Mazatlan
    A city with not that much going on. We hiked on our own up the lighthouse point, a decent workout. Glad we didn't pay to do this on a tour with people of varied abilities, we saw some girls coming down who did and they opted to just leave their tour group behind. Smelly sewage plant at the bottom of the hill, but the views up top were ultimately worth it. I don't plan to go back to Mazatlan again.
    View All 622 Mazatlan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Mazatlan Cruise Port Review
  • Puerto Vallarta
    Nice city to walk around. The culture feels more vibrant here than in Mazatlan. Some beach bars/restaurants are an easy place to hang out, and the Malecon has lots of art. Wandered a few of the other streets too and were similar in feel to places I've been in Central America. Felt safe during the day. Ship left before nightfall. If I went back, I'd do an excursion into the jungle or out to sea next time as we are not the type to just hang out and drink or shop, which is most of what goes on in town. Waves are a bit rough for swimming there but some were doing it.
    View All 986 Puerto Vallarta Cruise Port Reviews