Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by draggonsgate

• Sail Date: Sep 2018
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

While Norwegian has no control over the weather, thank you Florence, our trip to Canada that was supposed to be Bermuda wasn't a total washout.

I like the Dawn overall. The style and decor of the ship was very nice. It was easy to get around and it was exceptionally clean. As a smoker, I know just how nasty the smoking area can be, and even that was kept in tip top shape. Kudo's to the housekeeping staff for a great job. I LOVED the Lido Deck set up. It was much quieter than any Carnival I've been on and the service staff were perfection. Irene knew our names and preferred drinks by the second round. The "washy washy" folks I also loved. They were friendly, funny and served a great purpose. I think all ships should follow NCL's lead on this.

Our cabin was a bit tight, but workable. Our bathroom was a joke. Whoever decided that it was a good idea to put a sliding glass door to separate the toilet from the rest of the bathroom should be analyzed. Anyone bigger than a teenager would have problems getting in and out of there, let alone a bigger person. Our cabin steward, Stephen was awesome. Our cabin was kept spotless and he was both friendly and professional. We had a "priva-sea" balcony on deck 8. I liked the way is was set back into the hull of the ship, much like a cove balcony on Carnival.

Dining. At first I was impressed with all the different options offered. In reality, I was actually disappointed in the quality of the food, the only exemption being Teppanyaki and Moderno. Excellent food AND service, both. La Cucina could take some pointers from Olive Garden to come up to their standards food wise. Service was excellent. Aqua and Venetian, not impressed at all. Food was ehhhh, at best, service as well. 15 minutes to get a cup of coffee? Really? Buffet was ehhhh, as well. Selection was very limited, repeated, and anything that was supposed to be hot seemed to be lukewarm at best. Couldn't get butter to melt on a piece of french toast, a pancake or potatoes to save your life. I did like that there was a "coffee girl" to bring coffee and pastry around in the morning to the Lido Deck area. Reziel was a joy every morning, with her smiles and bubbly personality.

Embarkation and Debarkation. AWESOME!!! I have 6 cruises with Carnival and use Faster To The Fun, and getting on and off with NCL in Boston was just as quick and easy as that. Maybe it's just that port, but I was impressed!

I usually sail with Carnival. Will I sail with NCL again? ONLY for the Bermuda itinerary. I like the 3 days in port in Bermuda idea. Next time it won't be during hurricane season. Will I sail NCL again for any other cruise? Probably not. While it was "ok"... I find Carnival overall to be a better cruise line. But, that is just my subjective opinion. NCL was fine for what I wanted, and made the best of it when those plans fell through. It was miles from horrible, but a few yards from excellent.

draggonsgate's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BD 8516

Bar Harbor

Was like being home, as I live in the Adirondacks. Had a GREAT meal in town.

draggonsgate