3. Norwegian Getaway
Norwegian Getaway, June 17 – 24, 2018 – Miami-Roatan-Belize-Costa Maya-Cozumel I booked this solo voyage literally, 10-days prior to sailing. I watch the NCL website almost daily, so when the price for this trip dropped in, I booked it immediately. I booked a large balcony, 9722, along with the Ultimate Beverage Package (UBP) and a Three-pack Ultimate Dining Package (UDP). Day One – Embarkation – Not as chaotic as it seemed on the outside. Thankfully, we were the only ship departing that day, so it was just a matter of waiting in line. I was on-board within 45 minutes of arriving at the pier. Since the rooms weren’t ready, I found my way to the Sunset Bar on Deck 8. It was outside but in the shade. They were still fueling the ship, so smoking was prohibited as well. I really enjoyed this bar but as soon as the fueling stopped, it was just a cloud of smoke and I never had another drink at the outside portion of this bar. I had dinner in La Cucina as part of my UDP. I really expected a hassle eating solo, but the staff never missed a beat. Johna was my server and I couldn’t have been happier. I had Beef Carpaccio as an appetizer. It was fantastic. I had Lasagna and Osso Bucco followed by Tiramisu perfection. All this was accompanied by the line’s private label wine North & South as part of my UBP. Day two was a sea day. I really enjoy sea days since you can do a lot, a little, or nothing at all. I started with Eggs Benedict in Taste. I found my way to the Atrium for a great session of Deal or No Deal. The girl on my cruise won the $1000! I’m out $25 for my card. Afternoon nap. Dinner in Tropicana Room with Serli & Lara taking good care of me. Wever stopped by to make sure everything was to my liking. It was. I had the Chicken Parmesan and it was just perfect. Day three was Roatan, Honduras. I booked a 90-minute massage at a small spa on the north side of the island, Spa Baan Suerte. They picked me up and dropped me off for only $20 more. Great massage at a good price. I managed to have lunch at the small grill “down the beach” a little from the spa. Nice day. Day four was at Harvest Caye, Belize, the line’s private island. Since nothing on the island was included in my package, I stayed on the ship for the day. Although not as many venues are open on the ship as when she’s at sea, it’s nice to have run-of-the-ship while most everyone else is off on their exDacursions. Day five in Costa Maya, Mexico was brutally hot. The walk from the ship to the port shops was very windy, but once you passed the entry, all that air was blocked. Most people eventually found the diamond exchange with it’s open doors and the air conditioning just pouring out. I eventually found my was to the Tequila museum or the bar next to it. Great margaritas. I had two before I found my way to the tacos. I really came here for the Fish Spa which was every bit as weird as it seemed but something I had to try. Dinner was in Cagney’s as part of my UDP. I really enjoyed my view out the back of the ship. Prince, chatted with me about wine for a few moments, but I kept with my North & South red blend for this meal. My filet was cooked perfectly and was even better thanks to the Béarnaise sauce recommended to me by my server, Salinsito. I witnessed the size of the chocolate cake and knew I couldn’t handle dessert. Day six was in Cozumel. I boarded the ship knowing I wasn’t getting off in Cozumel. My research showed that there were four ships in port this day. I was surprised to see an MSC ship there as well, so five ships in port. IMO that equals mayhem. Another ship day for me and very relaxing at that. I had dinner in Moderno this day. Everything was flavorful I just wish I could have eaten more. Again I had to pass on dessert. I really enjoyed my UDP. Day seven, another sea day. I love sea days. I just strolled around the ship all day, napped a little and managed to spend some time up at Waves bar. Although I don’t enjoy the crowds and rowdy nature of the pool deck, this day wasn’t so bad. I like to mention some people who made my trip a little more memorable. First, Daniel from Prime Meridian. Daniel is a master bartender and fun to watch work. He and Nicoly work the Prime Meridian during dinner hours. Daniel was also found up at Waves on sea days along with Evelyn & Llewel. These two were a riot and I had fun wherever I came upon them. My cabin steward was Wayan. I’m not sure if Wayan had two areas of responsibility, because he was always the last steward to show up to clean rooms in the morning. Let me end with a little rant about our CruiseCritic Roll Call members who signed up for the meet & greet and then never showed up. Over 30 signed up but only 10 showed. Enough said.

Last Minute Getaway For One