3. Norwegian Getaway
I am a pro at arranging land and cruise vacations and a super planner. I apparently lost my touch this time. I used my NEA teacher discount to book a July 8th birthday cruise on the Getaway for my husband who loves Norwegian. While we loved recent cruises on MSC and Royal Caribbean, we decided on Norwegian because my husband always raved about his past cruises with them. I upped our balcony category to avoid obstructions and was surprised to find that I could not pick my cabin with this upgraded category from their bottom level balcony mystery category. I also called Norwegian to verify the cabin that we were assigned #9784 was unobstructed. It seemed low to me. I was assured by both NCL and my NEA booking agent that there are NO obstructions on this ship. Lies, Lies Lies!!! If you are used to water views through your balcony glass forget it on this ship. Most of the 9th floor has a roof that extends out about 8 or 9 feet from the floor of the balcony blocking the downward water view. It covers outdoor dining and the lifeboats below. This was a partial obstruction that we simply ARE NOT used to. Be real Norwegian! Don't say because we can see some water that there are no obstructions. We aren't party animals and enjoy days and nights on our balcony. Totally ruined our cruise. I attempted to inquire or perhaps make a correction on day 1 and was screened twice in line and told to stay in the guest services line when I encountered a third person, Wilson Dolson who told me that there was nothing I could do because the ship was full yet I could hear him telling others to stay in line so guest services to hear and solve their issues with cabins. I was texting my husband when Dolson approached and accused me of taking an illegal photo of him and an unpleasant conversation was held. I had Dolsons name. I didn't need his photo. I asked for the address for corporate because I totally felt disrespected and unwelcome. Other issues like raw meat at Cirque Dreams, tasteless food in some areas, lost show reservations, a charge from a restaurant we didn't visit also prompted multiple runs to guest services for correction. The internet which we spent a small fortune on is super poor. Plan to be disconnected for the week on NCL. Don't waste your money like we did. Use of the Spa steam rooms and pool $249 for the week per person? Totally unreasonable as well as spa pricing. We actually bought spa services and the steam rooms use on MSC for the week but not here. We were priced out. Bright spots for the week were the actual destinations and ports, Specialty restaurant Moderno which we ate in twice and the shows Burn the Floor and Cirque Dreams and Comedy were enjoyable. We liked the mini golf. We are cruisers in our 50s and felt there was a shortage of activities for those in our age group. Plenty to do for the teen and under age groups. Cirque and Burn the Floor cost additional fees. Plan to pay. Shows are usually free on our cruises. Free entertainment was lacking. I'm not interested in art auctions or bingo which also cost money. The casino was nice and we lost some money in there for sure. Food was hit or miss for us. Fru Fru small food was found in costly Cagneys. They burned my lamb chops which were smaller than the regular dining room "Taste" that was free. Teppanyaki was fun. The meat was raw at the Cirque show and not edible. I think I can still hear the cow mooing. We absolutely loved Modernos and paid for an additional night to have their well seasoned meats and fabulous salad bar. O'sheehans pub had tasteless food and we tried twice. My husband liked the asian wings in there however. The tables were sticky too. Yuck! The main garden buffet was decent for breakfast and lunch. Coffee cups were sticky one morning and couldn't be located another day. Ummm yuck? They lost my prebooked preplanned Cirque reservations. I had to rebook and I think repay on the ship. Had to fight for credit there. They charged my account for a visit to a restaurant we never went to. Had to fight to get that taken off our bill. Also, the tv show with the cruise director and the cross dressing asst. cruise director which normally on most ships provides needed information totally annoyed us with their ridiculous banter. I just didn't get what they were trying to do. We needed more info and less banter. I thank the staff of Taste who sang Happy Birthday to my husband on our last night. Loved that. We made the best of the situations all week but bad overshadowed the good on this trip.

Obstructions, Altercations, Hit or Miss Food Ugh!

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by pamelaeterry

• Sail Date: July 2018
  • Destination: Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony Stateroom

pamelaeterry’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BB 9784
#9784 like most rooms on the 9th floor had a partial obstruction on the balcony. Do not expect down to the water views from this location. A roof that extends 8-9 feet from the foot of your balcony will not allow you to have any downward views of the water. NCL will tell you that there are no obstructions on this ship. Book high floors only unless you are ok with this. We were not and this isn't what we expected after calling NCL to double check the room location and obstructions.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins