Hurtigruten are upfront and honest that MS Lofoten is not a luxury liner. She's an old, working cargo ship, but that was definitely part of the charm. This was my first cruise and it certainly met all my expectations. I took the five night North to South fjord cruise, embarking at Kirkenes. Hurtigruten organised all the transfers I needed and all were done smoothly and at what turned out to be pretty reasonable prices (you're in Norway though and nothing is cheap). Embarkation was easy - checked in, on board charge card sorted and off to the cabin pretty quickly. Cabin - I had a basic outside single one. There is very little storage space, but you don't have any fancy frocks to hang up, so that wasn't an issue. Whilst it was tiny, it was only for sleeping in and was very clean, with a comfortable bed. Dining - You would have to be a very fussy eater to not find plenty of food to enjoy. Breakfast and lunch are buffet style with free seating. Unsurprisingly, fish features at both meal times and it was all excellent. Dinner is in two sittings with an assigned table. The menu is a set menu, but you only have to let the restaurant staff know of any dietary requirements and everything is taken care of for you. Alcohol is expensive, but no more so than on land. I bought one bottle of wine and it lasted me all five nights, being stored in the galley for me. Excursions - I only did one trip organised by Hurtigruten - breakfast at the North Cape. It was excellent, and considering the food we had and the distance we travelled to meet up with the ship, probably decent value. Other people seemed happy with the trips they did. I'm not aware of any entertainment, but then that's part of the charm of MS Lofoten. All the crew I met were great too. Obvious pride in working on MS Lofoten, friendly but not intrusive. The standard of cleanliness is high, with all passengers returning from shore being given a handful of sanitising gel as you step back onto the ship. This ship has no facilities for children so would probably be unsuitable for any who don't also want to enjoy the views and relax. If you like a ship with lots to do, it'll be unsuitable for you as well.

Beautiful scenery viewed from a fabulous boat

Lofoten Cruise Review by Little wink

Little wink’s Full Rating Summary
Get Hurtigruten Lofoten price drops

I had a basic outside single one. There is very little storage space, but you don't have any fancy frocks to hang up, so that wasn't an issue. Whilst it was tiny, it was only for sleeping in and was very clean, with a comfortable bed. It was quite noisy as you're near the engine so I'd definitely recommend ear plugs. With these in, the noise was reduced to a very soothing rumble.