Friends who had done this Norwegian Coastal Voyages trip told me about it. I don't go on cruises but I liked the idea of going on a working ship without the usual on board entertainment. I chose the Lofoten because it was a small ship and it sounded like it had character, though I was a bit worried about the lack of stabilisers. The Norwegian scenery was wonderful, helped by the unusual good weather we had. The Lofoten itself totally lived up to my expectations. I loved the décor, and the friendly informal atmosphere on board. I had a Polar Outside cabin and paid a single supplement, The cabin was small but it was OK. The cabin is basically just for sleeping in after all. If all you want to do is sit somewhere there are plenty of places on board ship. There was no onboard entertainment, which for me was part of the attraction. But that won't suit everybody. The food was excellent. There was obviously a lot of fish but it was wonderful. Breakfast and lunch were buffet, and at dinner there was a set menu. The staff in the restaurant were friendly and helpful, and added to the atmosphere. The excursions are expensive, well Norway is expensive, but I enjoyed the ones I did. Feedback from other passengers on trips I didn't do was also very positive. There were a couple of occasions when the ship was rolling from side to side. I was OK but one or two passengers were seasick. Anyone prone to travel sickness should take seasickness medicine with them. I would like to do the trip again, but at a different time of year. If I manage that then I will definitely choose the Lofoten again

Wonderful voyage on a classic ship

Lofoten Cruise Review by arcticbell

arcticbell’s Full Rating Summary
Get Hurtigruten Lofoten price drops

This cabin had two bunk beds, wardrobe, and a table with two drawers. It had its own bathroom. The cabin was situated towards the middle of the ship. Overall it was small, but it did the job!