3. Carnival Pride
This was our second cruise on Pride our first one was in 2012. This time it was DW (51) and I (59) along with 9 others, including two of our adult sons. Two of the families had never been on CCL before and one family had no cruise experience at all (the other family had sailed on RCI for their honeymoon). Three of our travel companions were littles, 2 five year olds and a two year old (our step-granddaughter, SGD), and DW is the daycare provider for the 5 year olds. We had a great trip, in spite of the rough weather at the end and I liked the changes that were made to the Pride in her last dry dock. Our service was more than adequate all week in both the MDR and cabin, the crew was as always friendly, the entertainment was good, and our fellow passengers were pleasant. 2/25/18 Baltimore We arrived at the port at 1220 and we were parked and onboard by 1:30pm (our check in time was 1230 to 1). Check in went off without a hitch and in Baltimore they still take your picture at the check in counter and then you receive your sail and sign card. Xavier was our steward for cabin 5253, a standard balcony cabin. It was a bit of a letdown after having a premium balcony on Glory in November but was still adequate for our needs. Our Fun Shop orders were in the cabin, including an order form for the cabana excursion for Princess Cays. We grabbed some of the Chinese food from the lido (which wasn’t too crowded) and we found it to be a bit spicy for us so we grabbed the first of many Guys burgers. We also grabbed our first drink of the day. We hung out in the cabin until muster drill which took place in the MDR with no life jackets. After muster we went up to lido for sail away party and the kids had a blast dancing. We got ready for dinner since we had early dining and all of us were assigned to table 240 since our reservations were linked. Our headwaiter was Troy, assisted by Dennis and Soping. I had fried calamari, fried shrimp and fruit plate. DW had strawberry bisque, veggie lasagna and fruit plate. The service was a little spotty at first and it took a while for our drinks to arrive, but the service did smooth out as the cruise went along. After dinner we took SGD up to the kids club to register. The kid’s club had a very nice layout with a lot of activities available. Went to the comedy show and watched Thea Vidal, who we thought was one of the better comedians we’ve seen. 2/26/18 Sea Day 1 They had the cover over the pool partially closed, so the pool deck was chilly. The seas were fairly smooth but it got rougher as the day went along. As usual I was first up and had my coffee on lido, grabbing a small bite to tide me over until DW got up. We went to brunch and I had the steak and eggs, mac n cheese and cheesecake. We spent the afternoon playing different games with the kids. Day was cloudy with temps in the mid-60s. One of our sons was feeling the effects of the waves so he bought some sea bands in the gift shop which seemed to help. Went to the Shore Excursion desk to turn in the order form for the cabana (soda only, we didn’t order snorkel equipment although we could have). We asked which cabana we had and they said we had to choose from the available ones, so we chose number 2 since it was closest to the food pavilion. Got ready for dinner a little early (first elegant night) and had some pictures taken with the group. I had the shrimp cocktail, lobster (with shrimp) and warm chocolate melting cake with a side of peanut butter (several people in our party tried this at my suggestion and loved it) and DW had mushroom soup, carbonara and WCMC. The food is tasty and everyone seems to like it. Waiters danced for the first time and our companions liked it. On the way back to the cabin we met a couple in the elevator who said they are RCI cruisers and they weren’t enjoying CCL at all (the elevator ride was too short to go into details). We had the 5 year old girl with us for the evening to give mom and dad a night to themselves so we went to the Heart of Soul show in the theater. Our young lady didn’t care for this so we ended up heading back to the cabin for a couple of games before turning in. Saffie is our CD and made a first good impression. 2/27/18 Sea Day 2 As I was having my coffee at 530 I saw our headwaiter Troy and his assistant Dennis working on lido, wiping down the coffee cups and stocking them. They were usually the first people that I saw in the morning. Sent a laundry bag in to be done for $15 and we’re told later that they lost a pair of our underwear. We told them not to worry about it. We had another lazy day hanging out with the kids. After eating lunch we took them up to waterworks and they had a blast, especially with the yellow slide (no one had enough courage to try Green Thunder). We spent a little time in a hot tub, and then went down to change for Seussapalooza parade and story time. The kids had a blast being part of the parade and going on stage for story time. The CC meet and mingle was scheduled at 415 in the Ivory bar. There was another event going on at the same time so it was hard to tell how many showed up. Saffie did make a brief appearance and there were light refreshments. I chatted with a few members before heading out to get ready for dinner. I had the spring rolls, veal parmesan, and apple pie. DW had potato leek soup, the veal, and chocolate tres leche. Went to the comedy shows and caught Vince Morris’ act. 2/28/18 Princess Cays We got up at 7 and after grabbing a quick bite at the lido went to the theater to meet up for the tender. We boarded the second tender and pulled away from the ship at 848. We were on the island by 9 and at the cabana about 10 after 9 (we took our time walking and at worst it was a 10 minute walk from the tender). There are paved walkways to use so you don’t have to walk in the sand everywhere. The fruit and veggie plates were already in the cabana when we got there. There were two floaties and 4 beach towels inside and 4 loungers outside with an umbrella. There is an AC unit and a ceiling fan. There is a bar a short distance away and the food pavilion is close also. They did have staff taking drink orders throughout the day if one didn’t want to walk to the bar. The snorkeling areas are close by and the main swim area might have been a 5 minute walk from the cabana. A VAT is charged on drinks and all purchases on the island. S&S cards can be used in the gift shop buildings and cash is taken by the straw market vendors. Lunch was standard BBQ fare, hot dogs, burgers, jerked chicken and a variety of sides and salads. It was all tasty and filling. The water had a bit of a chill since it’s February but it doesn’t take too long to get used to it. We lounged around and had a few drinks, finally deciding to head back to the ship at 230. We were back onboard by 3. One of the families traveling with us had the balcony next to ours and they had opened the divider between the balconies. At dinner I didn’t see an entrée that interested me so I decided to splurge and ordered the $20 filet mignon from the steakhouse after starting with escargot and conch fritters. Cheesecake was my dessert. The steakhouse selections don’t come with sides, so I ordered a baked potato to go with the filet. Very tasty and nicely prepared. DW had pumpkin soup, lasagna and cheesecake. She said the lasagna tasted good but had too much meat for her taste. Called it an early night. 3/1/18 Nassau We ate a hearty breakfast on lido and then went ashore with the plan of visiting Ardastra Zoo and the Pirate Museum. CCL Victory was also in port. As we are leaving the ship Victory passengers were also leaving theirs and through this mass of humanity one of our traveling companions spots a familiar face coming off Victory. Turns out a group of his cousins were on Victory and neither knew the other was on a cruise at the same time. Definitely proof that it’s a small world. Met a cab driver named Gerard Evans at the terminal who agreed to take us to the zoo, the museum and back to the ship for $12pp. Everyone thought this was reasonable and he led us out to the street. He is a very nice guy and we recommend him if you have chance to ask for him. The zoo is fairly small and only has small animals, which is what was expected. We watched the marching flamingoes and fed the Lorries. It took about 2 hours to see it all. We spent a little time in the gift shop and some people grabbed a snack at the snack bar. We went out and got back the cab for the ride to the pirate’s museum. Since parking was an issue we decided to walk back to the ship and cut Gerard loose. The museum has under gone some changes since our first visit in 2009. After we’d seen everything and hit the gift shop the group decided to split up, with half opting to grab a bite at McD’s and the other half heading back to the ship. All of the vendors that used to be in the terminal are now outside. We picked up a few more souvenirs and took time to have a Kalik beer. Once we were back onboard we changed into our swimwear and went up to the pool. While we were there a lady noticed that she had lost a diamond pendant and was able to find it in the pool, although it was missing the chain. The group that had gone to McD’s decided to skip the MDR since the kids were tuckered out so only half the table showed up for dinner. I had shrimp cocktail, junkanoo pot, and bitter n blanc. DW had cannelloni, linguini and sausage and s’mores parfait. Since we finished dinner early we went to the first showing of 88 keys in the theater. Our SGD danced in the aisle through most of the show. We kept her for the night to give our son and his girlfriend could catch the comedy shows. 3/2/18 Freeport We decided to join the others on a beach excursion that they had signed up for. It was $40 for the basic excursion. We left the ship around 830 for the 30 minute ride to Bahamas Adventures. It is a nice beach with plenty of amenities available and they do take S&S cards for rentals and upgrades. Our basic package included an Adirondack type chair and an umbrella. As we walked up to our chairs I saw two small rays swimming just off shore. Water was crisp but got used to it quickly. There were some rocks but it was mostly sand. The buses were scheduled to head back at 1215. Servers would take drink and food orders at the chairs. It was just enough time to really relax and do some swimming. It took 4 buses to get everyone back to the ship and from the line to board it looked like most of us arrived back at the same time. It took about 10 minutes to get back onboard. There was a letter in the cabin telling us that there was a nor’easter between us and Baltimore. They said that it was going to start getting rough around dinner time and they would be draining the pools and closing access to the decks. We grabbed a chair on lido and waited for the lines to die down before grabbing a Guys burger. We got dressed for elegant night two and had a few more pictures taken. I had the clam chowder and the filet mignon/rib combo which was tender and tasty. I skipped dessert because of our late lunch. DW had mushroom and pasta and key lime dessert. Seas were definitely getting rougher during dinner. We went to the 80’s dance show and the early comedy. 3/3/18 Sea day Up early for coffee as usual. Today is the Dr Seuss breakfast which is $5 per person. It was held in the upper deck of the Normandie MDR and everything was decorated in Seuss colors. They have a special menu with Seuss names for all of the food (such as truffela pancakes, green eggs and ham, etc.). The kids had a blast. We went to the Game of Thrones trivia since we have a few fans in the group and were able to pull off a win, getting a ship on a stick in the process. It is announced that we will be delayed getting back to Baltimore because of the weather and the phone lines and internet are opened to allow people to start working on plans. Went to the Q&A with Saffie and she estimates that we have 2400 passengers onboard. She outlined her career and said she started on the Pride in 2012 so she may have been onboard when we were (I didn’t get a chance to ask her). Seas are getting rougher and the wind is blowing at 50 knots. Spent the time playing more trivia and doing some preliminary packing. DW was feeling the rough seas and skipped dinner. I had shrimp cocktail, prime rib and baked Alaska. They are estimating arriving in Baltimore at 3 and with the luggage tags we have anticipate disembarking at 5. And of course they also anticipate heavier seas. I head back to the cabin to put our luggage out and to be with DW. The ship is really starting to move so I’m feeling more and more at home (16+ years in the Navy). 3/4/18 Baltimore I slept like a baby and have a great time walking around the ship. It was really rough as we rounded Cape Hatteras. Things got smoother once we entered the Chesapeake Bay. We have to be out of the cabins by 2pm so we grab our carry-ons and head up to lido. I finally tried a Blue Iguana burrito for lunch. Everyone seems to be in fairly good spirits in spite of the delay. We pull into port around 330 or 4 o’clock and finally disembark around 6 (I had put my tablet away and forgot to make a note of exact times). We drove for a few hours before stopping for the night. Summary We had a great time in spite of the weather. I liked Pride’s new look in the public areas and of course having Guys is a big plus. We love the Pride’s size and it’s easy to get around even for first timers. One of our travel companions didn’t like the movement of the ship even when it was smooth so she probably won’t be cruising again. Everyone seemed to like the food and dinner never took longer than an hour and a half. We turned gold on this cruise and now have the same number of cruises with CCL as we have with NCL (although we have more nights with CCL).

Pride Daycare Cruise