Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review

Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by Aztec2008

• Sail Date: Feb 2018
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Aqua Class

We chose this cruise because of the destination. I also had fond memories of her sister ship Millennium.

It was the last trip to Antarctica (next year it will be a Solstice class ship).

We were very lucky with the weather. The previous cruise in January was not so lucky but we had calm seas for the most part with really only one day that was a bit rough. Cape Horn was dead flat, when there was fog it magically cleared as we arrived and at Elephant Island drifted back as we left. It was simply good luck and I felt sorry reading the reviews of the previous cruise.

The ship is an older ship but we found it well maintained. If you looked hard you could find faults but compared to what I was expecting it was better than I thought.

We booked an Aqua class cabin and the meals were excellent. The cabin itself seemed no different to a balcony but access to Blu was great. We also tried the specialty restaurants and enjoyed them all but Tuscan Grill was a real highlight.

We had a problem with our cabin with the carpet getting wet. Its as frustrating but the crew went above an beyond to both fix the problem and make it up to us for the inconvenience.

They were so nice about it I was feeling like I had Stockholm Syndrome, you know when you are kidnapped you feel sorry for the Kidnappers! I was embarrassed telling them its as still faulty given how hard they worked to fix it. In the end we switched cabins, the old one was 7095 (I hope its fixed if you have that one!) we moved to 1142 at the rear.

The crew overall are just outstanding at all levels. Through stupidity I broke my ankle on the way home at the Falklands, the medical care was excellent, the restaurant staff were totally accomodating, our cabin stewards wife is a Physiotherapist and he arranged pillows and ice packs, right up to Jaan the head housekeeper and Srdjan the Hotel Director it was clearly a happy, highly motivated crew absolutely focused on passengers having a great time. We have sailed on Seabourn and it was to that standard, very attentive and impressive.

I guess in terms of advice I would offer to have realistic expectations about the age of the ship and look for the crew to make up any slight shortcomings. If things go wrong raise them and let them make it right, they were very genuine to us.

Try the specialty restaurants. QSine was fun and funky, they offered a pack of 3 or more restaurants for discount price, if I did this again I would grab that.

The al Bacio cafe deck 5 great coffee if you are hanging out for a flat white the cappuccino's are next best and those macadamia nut cookies, fantastic. The cocktails at the bar opposite were excellent also, especially the smoked ones!

Another point to raise is Mickey Live. he is such an asset, his sense of humour, knowledge and the way he got things across was exceptional and his presentations were all standing room only.

We did ships tour which we found fascinating, exactly what do you do with all those empty bottles......4 engines, 1 diesel, 2 jet engines and steam engine...fascinating. The laundry, the bridge, the engine control room, really interesting to see behind the scenes.

The propulsion problem we were told and they appeared very open was that they had excessive vibration at high speed on one Azipod so as a precaution were running at reduced speed. The slower speed meant they missed one port day so they paid 1 x 14th credit as compensation which we thought was fair. There were only 3 ports the rest sea days so I can understand how frustrating its as to the earlier cruise missing the Falklands but given the route was through the roaring 40's Ferocious 50's and Screaming 60's I think you have to accept some chance of bad weather.

So overall injury and cabin hassles not withstanding we had a great time the scenery and wildlife was everything we hoped for. My wife as on our balcony when awhile surfaced so close the sound of the spout startled her (she said only 20 feet away). It was an amazing trip and hats off to all the crew, they made it very special.

Aztec2008's Full Rating Summary

Aqua Class
Cabin A2 7095

We chose this as midships because I was thinking about rough weather and the ship pitching. It was nice cabin but the roof overhang above limited the vista. We moved to 1142 at the stern and this was larger deck and much more open. For rough water I'd stay midships but calm like the med i'd go to the rear. The rear ones were added recently so are newer also

Aztec2008