3. Norwegian Spirit
I looked for a cruise on a smaller ship going to an area where I had hope for some warm weather and it needed to include my 80th birthday. The Norwegian spirit leaving Barcelona on February 3 seemed to feel the bill! My daughter and I booked the cruise and over all it was wonderful primarily due to the fantastic crew! I had mixed reactions to the cruise it’s self, but much had to do with weather which was of course beyond the control of NCL. We booked a balcony guarantee cabin And were assigned 9137 which was ideally located for us. It was easy to walk down or up a few floors to reach most common areas on the ship. Although small, the cabin was comfortable enough. When we arrived in Barcelona we were met by the Hoppa driver for a very reasonably priced ride to the ship. I highly recommend them. The boarding process was well organized and we boarded the ship reasonably quickly. When we arrived at the cabin and opened the door a lovely fruit basket and bottle of wine greeted us. We settled in and explored the ship, then watched the ship sail away at sunset from the Galaxy area. Afterward we went to dinner at the Windows restaurant. I originally ordered a Thai curry dish which was not particularly well prepared so I requested the prime rib instead. That was excellent. After our long flight from Boston we retired early. My birthday was the following day, February 4. This was a day at sea and I had set up a Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle so after a very slowly served breakfast we headed to the Shogun restaurant where NCL had set up a very nice tray of pastries and coffee. I thought this went quite well and we got to meet the Captain and many of the important members of the crew. It was also very nice meeting so many of the people who had subscribed to our rollcall. On our return to the cabin I was greeted with banners and balloons and a very large birthday cake! My daughter said she ordered a small cake so I wonder what a large one would have been like. The cake was delicious! What a great start to a special day! No need for lunch after that so we explored the shops and later that afternoon we went to the art auction which ended up being very entertaining. Although not in the market for art it was fun. I had booked LeBistro for my birthday dinner and the meal and the service was superb! NCL had also provided birthday cake as well. When we returned to our cabin we found a lovely tray of chocolates and an invitation from the Concierge to enjoy breakfasts and lunches in Cagneys restaurant during our cruise. I would like to say that Karin, the Concierge, is the most delightful crew member (among many good people) on this ship. I believe the extraordinary treatment we received was triggered by the birthday celebration and because of her this was a trip that will be the most memorable in my life. February 5 dawned overcast and coolish. Early breakfast and our first excursion to Morocco and the capital city of Rabat. I am afraid I was very much disappointed in Morocco as I expected the colorful and exotic looking buildings I have seen in other Islamic cities. Here the architecture was very bland and colorless. On top of that the weather got worse and we visited a palace but were not allowed in and a military building where I believe there was a garden but by then we had thunder, lightning and even hail. Most of us didn’t venture far. We were taken to a Moroccan restaurant for a pleasant lunch.which was nice. Some appetizer, a tasty chicken dish and fresh fruit. We then visited a mosque and cemetery and there was a the weather cleared somewhat. Here we went inside and there was a lovely pool and outside a slight improvement in the architecture. The next stop was the casbah which is primarily a residential section. Here I will issue a warning to future subscribers to this excursion. We encountered aggressive sellers and a particular scam where women smile and grab your hand to draw a design in henna and then ask for an outrageous amount for their effort. DO NOT ALLOW them to con you, We headed back to Casablanca for a captive shopping stop in the market area. There was an option for a Berber carpet place or a spice and “pharmacy” stop. This is another sales gimmick and I was under the impression the tour leader was getting a kick back. I was most disappointed in this excursion as it was uninteresting and overpriced. I believe even with good weather it wouldn’t be worth the cost. Back on board for dinner and we left port heading south to Gran Canaria along with some very rough seas. Dinner in the MDR was again uninspiring. We didn’t find anything we wanted to do in the entertainment time so an early bedtime although I still am not sleeping well. Feb. 6 was another day at sea but this time it was a very rough ride. We had booked dinner in Cagneys for a different night but apparently many people were seasick so we were given the option of changing our reservation to this evening which we did. Another excellent dinner that required walking the lengths of 3 decks to counteract the effects of so much delicious food. February 7 - a benefit of waking early was getting to watch as we approached Las Palmas port. It was somewhat warmer and I went out on the balcony and filmed the lights of the city as we approached and the sunrise. We headed off along the waterfront promenade and stopped along the way to take pictures. Continuing we found ourselves on a section of walkway where we couldn’t cross the highway and had to continue for some very long distance until there was an under road access to the city across the way. Found a market where we got some much needed water to drink and a corkscrew to open our wine. We sat down to figure where we might go but some folks from the cruise ship happened by and said the museum we thought to find was closed. They gave us some bus info and with weather worsening we took the bus back. I figure we walked around 5 miles today. In the MDR my daughter ordered pad Thai and we have concluded the chef doesn’t have a clue as to how to prepare Thai food (or perhaps can’t get the proper ingredients) and this despite the fact that the Asst.. Maiter D is Indonesian. A word here about him as well as he was another memorable and delightful crew member. Feb. 8 provided a pleasant day of wandering around the city area in Las Palmas with many nice photo opportunities and relaxation after all of the exercise yesterday. Feb 9 we had booked a ship excursion in Funchal, Madeira and at first were afraid it would not be as expected since the road up the mountain for the toboggan ride was closed due to snow. They happily had an alternative and we had a fun toboggan ride followed by a visit to a basket and crafts outlet - this time no hard sell and plenty of things to see and enjoy at our leisure. Feb. 10 was our last day at sea and thankfully not such heavy seas. The only big disappointment on this trip was the weather as it was too cool to enjoy the outdoor facilities on board. There were some pleasant demos such as how the prepare the lovely treats we have been getting each afternoon. We have met some very nice people and had dinner with one of the couples in the MDR. One of the pleasures of a smaller ship is seeing people again and again. Feb. 11 we visited Malaga where I wanted very much to visit the cave at Nerja around 35 miles south of the city. We learned that a local bus would take us to the cave at a very reasonable cost but if anyone decides to do this do NOT get off the bus in Nerja which we did as the bus continues to the cave and we walked 2 or 3 miles to get there only to learn we would have to wait another hour to get in as tours through the cave only accommodate a fixed number of people. I thought we would at least have a half hour before we had to take the bus back but 15 minutes was taken up by a video. We would have to leave the tour after only seeing a small section but we luckily met some people who were on our ship and they offered to share their cab with us. VERY lucky as we would possibly not have made it back to the ship on time. I will say the cave at Nerja is an archeological wonder and is huge and most fascinating. Any traveler just should be aware of the time constraints. It is definitely worth the visit if you are not visiting the Alhambra. Feb. 12. This is the last day of our cruise with a visit to Alicante. We got to the base of the Castle Santa Barbara early as the lift did not open until 10 A.M. Seniors over 55 should be sure to have some form of ID with them as the lift is then free. This turned out to be a photographer’s heaven as the skies provided dramatic clouds for a backdrop to great views. Birds would often pose to enhance the pictures. The original plan was to explore the other side of the hill but we had to be back on board early. For our last night on board we booked Teppanyaki and I definitely recommend it as a fun dinner experience. I was not particularly impressed with the shows and even left early from the last night’s program.

Best birthday ever!

Ages 16+
Get Norwegian Spirit price drops

Mid-Ship Inside
Cabin IB 9137
Although quite small compared with the cabin on the only other cruise I have been on, the beds were comfortable and the bathroom and shower quite adequate.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins