3. Norwegian Spirit
NCL Norwegian Spirit 14 - 24 January 2018 This was our first cruise with Norwegian, and was chosen by my son, who lives in America. We met on the ship and were able to enjoy time together with him and his family. The ship itself is Norwegian’s smallest, and oldest, with quirky decor. It was easy to get around and we enjoyed the freestyle, without having to panic about semi-formal and resort casual. The atmosphere on the ship was relaxed and very friendly and there were multiple nationalities aboard. Initially we booked an outside cabin, but in November I received an email from NCL offering what they called an “upgrade advantage”, with the opportunity to bid for an upgraded cabin. I thought it was a con, but eventually I made a small bid for a balcony which was accepted. I didn’t really believe we would have a balcony cabin until we arrived and I saw it with my own eyes! The cabin was quite small, but the bathroom was really nice, with separate loo and shower. We had a coffee maker and bathrobes supplied, and the wardrobe was stocked with bottles of water (part of the drinks package). Agus, our steward kept it spotless for us, and left towel animals on the bed each night. We ate in the buffet, both the main restaurants (mainly Windows, once we worked out how to find it), and two of the speciality restaurants, Cagneys Steakhouse and Le Bistro. The food was fine, and I especially enjoyed steak in Cagney’s. My husband was pleased to find boneless kippers for breakfast in Windows, although I preferred the toast and coffee in Raffles! Coffee in Le Cafe was really nice, although it was not included in our drinks package. We went to three of the shows, which we enjoyed, although there seemed to be a lot of repetition of the magician and disappearing lady . My grandson loved the children’s club, and I was impressed by the facilities offered and the security. There was a circus skills show put on by the children for parents (and grandparents), which was great fun. We took one ship’s tour, to Casablanca, where we visited the Medina and the Mosque. Our guide was obviously very well informed, but his accent was quite pronounced and we did have some difficulty understanding him at times. He was also a devout Muslim, who explained well the history, and use of the Mosque, and the tenets of Islam. I heard a hiss of breath from behind me when he told us that women should cover their hair to avoid exciting men. At other ports we did our own thing, using shuttle and Ho-Ho buses. In Funchal we took the cable car for views not to be missed, and in Alicante there was a local sightseeing bus which was probably the best of the “trips” we took. Altogether we really enjoyed our cruise. The weather was good and the sea was calm – always a bonus in January!

Sunshine in January

Ages 3 to 6
Get Norwegian Spirit price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BB 9566
Our cabin was compact - but we expected that. The bed was very comfortable, and there was room for us to sit on the balcony and read. The bathroom was in three parts, with separate areas for loo, basin and shower. Probably the best shower we have had on a cruise ship.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins