Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by The_Great_Escape

• Sail Date: Jun 2017
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Balcony, sheltered

Background Information: This was my 61 cruise. I have sailed on Carnival, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Holland America, Disney, Costa, Cunard, and Celebrity. This was my 1 cruise on Cunard. I am 46 years old.

Hotel Info: We flew over from Connecticut one night early on Air Canada that we booked through Cunard. We stayed at a Hilton hotel near Buckingham Palace that we booked on our own. This was our first time at England, and we LOVED it because the people are very nice.

Ship Info: Celebrity is one of our favorites, and after sailing on the QM2, this might even be better. This was our first transatlantic cruise. We enjoyed it because it was geared towards adults (hardly any children on the cruise). If you enjoy classical music, reading, relaxing, great conversation, and dressing up, this is for you. The ship was extremely clean and looked new.

Activities: If you want to take some gym classes (yoga, spinning), you should make reservations on the first day for these classes. It costs around $15 per class. They have the largest library at sea. I loved the Planetarium, and recommending going to those shows. They do an amazing job with their afternoon tea times, so I went to that at least three times.

Service: Service was great in all areas. For the first time ever, my husband found a live bug (looked like a tick) in his salad. Several crew members in the dining room came to our table to correct it. The cruise ship sent us chocolate to our cabin to compensate for the experience. My only area of opportunity for this cruise would be that the compensation might have been something a bit bigger (perhaps an invitation to the specialty restaurant).

Stateroom: We stayed sheltered balcony. We didn’t use the balcony because it was raining and in the 40’s during our cruise.

Dining: Before you order your meal, ask the waiter what they recommend. If you don't like crowds, eat in the main dining room for breakfast and lunch instead of the buffet. We went to the specialty restaurant one night. If you do not cruise much, I would recommend this specialty restaurant. For me, I would not do that restaurant again because I felt the other cruise lines do a better job with the specialty experience.

Dress Code: They offer several formal nights, and most men were in a dark suit or a tuxedo. I wore long gowns; however, many senior citizen women wore pantsuits. On the other nights, everyone dressed in business attire. I enjoy dressing up.

Entertainment: We went to a few shows and they were good. We usually don’t go to the shows because after so many cruises, they all seem the same.

Other: A 73-year-old British sailor was rescued by our cruise after his yacht was severely damaged in a North Atlantic storm our cruise was going through. This was my first “storm” and the ship and captain handled everything perfectly.

Overall: 5 out of 5 stars.

The_Great_Escape's Full Rating Summary

Balcony, sheltered

Halifax

We walked around the town and loved it.

The_Great_Escape