Scenic Opal Cruise Review

HIGH QUALITY and TOP SERVICE

Scenic Opal Cruise Review by denrenix

• Sail Date: Apr 2017
  • Destination: Europe River

We've river-cruised before but have never been on the Danube or to Budapest, Vienna and Prague. This itinerary seemed to fit all requirements and the cruise company was highly recommended.

Excellent marks for the staff and service; the land tours were spot on and the local tour guides were exceptionally knowledgeable; the dining arrangements and food were very good with an excellent chef and staff - all very warm, welcoming and friendly, meeting customers, not out-of-site.

Highlights of the itinerary for me were Salzburg and the 3-day extension in Prague - extra days would have been even better.

For such a supposedly top-quality all-inclusive company, the range and quality of wines was quite disappointing. I realise Scenic try to incorporate local food and wines but this area is not known for top wines (apart form a few German ones) and being an Australian company situated in Europe with many US and UK customers, I expected more wine choices from Australia, France, NZ or USA. After several days I found out there were some other options available (also limited and not top quality) but this was not widely communicated; it seemed they were being kept secret.

We had paid for a top-deck deluxe suite but the Scenic practice of mooring alongside their sister ship (Pearl) meant that we could not use our balcony because there was a bedroom of the Pearl very adjacent. We also had to keep the curtains closed whilst using the cabin which was not acceptable for this standard of cruising.

I may consider travelling with Scenic again but I will not take another river cruise with them.

I need better views from my balcony - and much better wines at this price!

denrenix's Full Rating Summary

Cabin D/L Balcony PD308

The cabin was of adequate size with comfortable beds and pillows but there were a few niggles. The clothes storage was split into two halves with over-lapping sliding doors which meant you could not access both sides or sets of clothes at the same time - nor get into the safe while your partner was dressing.

We paid a lot extra for a d/l balcony suite but could hardly ever use the balcony since there was frequently our sister ship moored alongside with one of their bedrooms directly opposite ours; we had to have the curtains closed for privacy which was depressing and claustrophobic. When we disembarked for tours, we had to cross through this other ship, and sometimes another one too. A lot of cruising is at night or during mealtimes so the balcony was again not used; a waste of money which the company should make clear to customers when booking.

denrenix