Although this was our 6th cruise, it was our first on Holland America. We did the 7-day Western Caribbean trip. We knew that Holland America caters to an older crowd but since we're in our 60's, we certainly fit right in. There were a few children, some 20-somethings, but I'd say that 75% of the people were over 55. We met some very nice people who have cruised before on Holland America, and several said they feel that service is slipping. Pros: The food in the main dining room is delicious. We opted for the flexible seating times and never had to wait more than 10 minutes. Portions are smaller than most Americans are used to, but they'll bring you more if you ask. The Lido Market (buffet) was fine for breakfast and okay for lunch. Nothing outstanding here. We never tried them for dinner. Embarkation and debarkation went smoothly. Excursions: We went on Capt. Nemo's Snorkeling Safari (or something like that) in Grand Cayman. Than was great! The lower level of the ship has big glass windows and they take you past 2 shipwrecks and lots of fish before getting to the middle of the bay, where those who would like to snorkel have about 40 minutes to do that. It was nice for my husband and me because he snorkels and I don't. The boat was a decent size, with a restroom on board. We took the Everglades airboat excursion with airport transfer when we docked in Ft. Lauderdale. Our flight left later in the afternoon, so this was a pleasant way to spend 4 hours in the morning. If you're looking for a quiet, relaxed cruise, this may fit the bill. Cons: BIG CON - Our first stateroom, VB5148, had a very strong mold smell in the bathroom. They tried "deep-cleaning" it 3 times in our first 24 hours, while telling us they were 100% full and couldn't move us. Nothing helped. On our 2nd day, after the smell and my mold allergies had kept me up most of the night, they moved us to 5160. It still had a faint smell of mold, but was much better. I had read a review of 5148 from Dec. 2015 and the person had complained about the moldy smell. I assumed it would be fine because it was over a year later. Wrong! The toilets flushed only intermittently during our first 24 hours. Our whole section of the ship was affected.. Many carpets in the hallways looked worn or stained. Entertainment, especially in the main theater, was mediocre. Buddy Guy's Blues Club was good, as were the 2 pianists in the Billboard area. Lincoln Center musicians seemed okay. But that was it for options. No live music on deck for Sail-Away. No other musicians in lounges. Not much going on in terms of daily activities. If you don't like playing trivia, there's not too much to choose from. If you expect to swim in the pool, forget it. There are 2 pools, one being for adults only, but neither is big enough to do a lap. If you just want to sit on the edge or stand in the water, then its fine.

This ship needs some work!

Eurodam Cruise Review by Luv2travlX2

• Sail Date: February 2017
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

Embarkation and debarkation went smoothly.

If you're looking for a quiet, relaxed cruise, this may fit the bill.

Many carpets in the hallways looked worn or stained.

Luv2travlX2’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Eurodam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VB 5148, 5160
The verandah was good-sized. Adequate storage space. The bed (2 twins pushed together to make a king). was very comfortable. Lighting is poor by the closets. We brought a small flashlight and used it frequently. The blow dryer is hidden in a cabinet by the mini-fridge. I never would have found it without asking my room steward. The moldy smell in the bathrooms (particularly bad in 5148) was terrible, though. And I had to complain 4 times before they "found" another stateroom down the hall to move us to.
Rotterdam Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins